The Axholme Joint Railway
Click for detailed map
The Axholme Joint Railway (AJR) was both a joint line and also a light railway.
The Isle of Axholme is an area in the extreme north west of the old county on Lincolnshire (Part of Lindsey). The
name derives from the fact that originally it was surrounded by water - the rivers Ouse, Trent, Don and Idle. Work
on drainage and diversion of some of the waterways meant that the area was no longer an isle but the name was
retained. It is very much an agricultural area; apart from farming, one of the few industries was peat extraction.
To the north of the Isle, was the Marshlands district, which the railway also served. This was a very flat area
near the River Ouse and was similarly agricultural.
The railway was jointly owned by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway (L&YR) and the
North Eastern Railway (NER).
This resulted in it being shared by the LNER and the LMS during the Grouping period (1923-1947).
The "mainline" ran from Marshlands Junction near Goole to Haxey Junction near Gainsborough, on the
Great Northern & Great Eastern Joint Railway; a total of 19.5 miles. The total length of the line, including
the branches was nearly 28 miles.
Thank you to Richard Barron for the above information.