A1/3 Black (Wartime Black)

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

A1/3 Black (Wartime Black)

Post by Graeme Leary »

I may have asked this before but if so have deleted any replies.
If in fact some were painted in Black I intend to depict an A1/3 in Wartime Black or 'All-Over' Black during LNER (ie before Nationalisation) and have a 'spare' Flying Scotsman in LNER Apple Green which I'm happy to 'sacrifice' and paint to get this Black version of these Pacifics.
What I would like (if possible) is a name/s that satisfies the following criteria (as the model I'm planning to paint has them):
(1) Must have single chimney
(2) Must have corridor tender
(3) Must be without smoke deflectors
(4) In this Black livery did it pull any of the following named trains: 'The Flying Scotsman'; 'The Queen of Scots'; 'The Yorkshire Pullman'; 'The Scarborough Flyer' (and any advice on what type of coaches would be most appropriate for these named trains)
(5) If 'Black' of any sort, within these criteria, would the tender letters used have been LNER or just NE (as I understand Wartime Black tended to be) or would the tenders had the loco numbers rather than letters?
(Less relevant - to me anyway- but any comments on Left or Right hand drive helpful).
I note on a number of old photos quite a few had 'splasher' nameplates (and am quite happy to buy a totally new set of a different names; splasher or boiler side providing the above criteria is covered) but if a set of boiler side 'Sandwich' nameplates I already have, meets the above I'll save a bob or two and redo as 2504/Sandwich. If not, I have seen Black/White photos of 'Solario'; 'Spion Kop'; 'Humorist'; but not sure if the livery in these old photos was LNER Green or in fact Black. If any of these 3 do, then I've got proof to back up my choice (Humorist 1st pick), but other A1/3 names I'm leaning to are 'Gladiateur'; 'Robert the Devil'; ;Dick Turpin' but open to other suggestions, provided they suit all of above (if possible).
I thank you in advance of any helpful comments which I know are most likely to be forthcoming.
Graeme Leary
New Zealand
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: A1/3 Black (Wartime Black)

Post by Graeme Leary »

Oops, have just found the aforementioned 'deleted' and there it is with some very helpful replies (back in 2012) from Blink Bonny and 2002EarlMaricshal, plus since then I have acquired 19 of the RCTS series (now that was a real windfall) and also the Irwell Press 'The Book of the A3s' so I should be able to troll through them and answer my own questions. Back then I was also sent a very helpful spreadsheet (from one of you gentlemen) with just about every pertinent detail of these fine machines so no need to bother anybody again. But................................. if anybody wishes to thrown any comments of their own into the mix I am all ears (and, after some 3 years I may just start this project!)
Graeme Leary
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Its all on RCTS 2A
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Graeme,

I might be pulled up on this, but by 1940 all the corridor tenders were behind A4's

Rather knackers your requirement 2
sorry to be a party pooper

Ron
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks Ron and from your comments I now have a cunning plan. I have a non corridor tender behind one of my A4s and I could switch the 2, putting this behind the Black A1/3. The only possible drawback is that I would then have to paint the corridor tender and my talents in that field may result in a very obvious difference between one (the loco) 'ex-factory' and the other (tender) amateur finish painted and maybe even a slight colour variation as well. But certainly worth some consideration.
Graeme
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Graeme,

Would it be worthwhile looking on ebay for a 'factory' black tender?

Ron
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Ron, could well be but out here in the colonies my odd ebay purchases have usually been a bit of a hassle but another option has presented itself. (subject to confirmation). I have another non corridor tender that I had (very badly) painted in LNER green to go behind an A4 4487/Sea Eagle (with the 'straight' vertical - as opposed to the usual parabola - contrast) and I need an excuse to redo this. So, all other things being equal, I could repaint this tender in Black at the same time as repainting 'Sandwich' and then do the corridor tender in LNER Green and have behind the A4. In fact, having had a closer look I need to redo both Sea Eagle and the tender - they're a bit of a disaster! Will check first though that they're 'compatible' and will run/couple together. Will keep you posted.
Graeme