Does anyone know of any proposed designs that were never built?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Does anyone know of any proposed designs that were never built?

Post by Horsetan »

The problem with all of these Photoshop stretches is that the firebox then becomes inadequate to keep the very long boiler barrel properly fed. Had the real things been built in that manner, I'd suspect quite a lot would have been short of steam.
The Doc
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by The Doc »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so forgive my ignorance, and what I'm saying may have been explained elsewhere many times before. Did Gresley ever propose a design for an A2? If not, why did he classify his Pacifics A1, then A3 and A4? This is a question that has bugged me for some time. If he did, has anyone any idea what it would have looked like. If not, time to get speculating/photoshopping. I'm guessing at 6'2" wheels, usual 3 cylinder arrangement, and depending on when he first thought about it a flat fronted or V shaped cab. Perhaps a slightly stretched V2 style body?
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 61962 »

The A2s were the ex NER Raven pacifics 2400 - 2404. Their history is here http://www.lner.info/locos/A/a2.php

Eddie
The Doc
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by The Doc »

Thanks 61962 - I had forgotten about the Raven Pacifics.