Size of splashers on the LNER B8 locomotive

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Size of splashers on the LNER B8 locomotive

Post by Krynio2 »

Good morning
I am currently working on a 3D model of the LNER B8/ GCR 1A, fact it is not yet a finished product. In order to correctly reproduce the footplate of the steam locomotive, I need the exact dimensions of the splasher at its longest, highest point and the height with the nameplate.

Regards.
Attachments
preview and selection of the right splasher.
preview and selection of the right splasher.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Size of splashers on the LNER B8 locomotive

Post by Pebbles »

One of the Forum members "Woodcock" has produced part etchings for a B8 you could ask him, also there is an Isinglass Drawing No 478 of the class. You are possibly already aware that splashers cannot always be scaled down in size and need to be of a size to suit the wheels.
Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Krynio2 »

Thank you for your reply
Last edited by Krynio2 on Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

I based the model I'm still building on the dimensions on the Isinglass drawing.
Andrew
Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Krynio2 »

Yes, I have seen it, the model is impressive. Could I ask, if possible, for a close-up on the model of the cab and smokebox component? Especially the part attached to the boiler, which I have not specified. I would also ask for an explanation of what it is and what it is used for.

Regards
Attachments
b8.png
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

The 'pipe' going from front of boiler to the front of smokebox is the ash ejector. Presumably steam is used to eject some of the ash that has accumulated in the smokebox. Other than that basic explanation I don't know how it works.

Will endeavour to take the photos requested. To make the ash ejector I simply used some 0.45 wire and a couple of short handrail knobs. I hope to get back to completing this model shortly.

Andrew