Ballast brake van livery

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Cutter
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Ballast brake van livery

Post by Cutter »

Works trains seem to be a neglected subject and I still have a very limited understanding of them. I am assuming that ballast brake vans were works blue rather than bauxite? Tatlow is silent on the topic and it is hard to tell from the photos in his book. A related question is what was the blue used on works trains--the same Oxford blue used on some A4s and The Coronation or a different hue? If the old Peco loco sand wagon models are to be believed it was a darker blue. Whatever it was, I am assuming that in service it was usually seen faded and filthy!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Ballast brake van livery

Post by 65447 »

The colour used on the A4s was different, Garter Blue.

Under the LNER departmental stock was supposed to be painted Oxford Blue, which is quite a deep colour but faded very quickly, hence the many different shades seen. In service faded yes, but not filthy, just the usual accumulation of soot from the locomotive exhaust on the roof, some rustiness and road dirt in the usual places, and mineral dust from the type of stone used for the ballast.

A reasonable in-service rendition on a Connoisseur kit GE sand wagon here at 1:33 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ktIBKzSE0
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Yes, Garter blue for the Coronation locos/carriage sets, Oxford blue for service stock, according to records.

I make no promises, but there may be some useful or valid observations within the discussion that took place when I was building my ex-GNR ballast brake model. Try pages 347-349 https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... start=5190
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Cutter
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Cutter »

These are all extremely useful responses! Thank you so much.