LNER. No. 48518 (no one?)

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER Fan 60008
GNSR D40 4-4-0

LNER. No. 48518 (no one?)

Post by LNER Fan 60008 »

I have read up some time ago this LNER built Stanier 8F was broken up to provide parts to the GWR County Project.

Not one enthusiast protested against this? In my view, breaking up an unusual locomotive (or what's left of it) to provide parts to something else isn't really a good idea. Surely the County Project couldn't have found a different boiler to use?
I am aware other 8Fs survive, but none of them being from the Doncaster batches. Sorry to ramble, but it just bugs me.

What is everyone's current views on it?
ooOOOo-oooo--o-o-----o-o-o-o---------o-o-o-o--------o-o
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: LNER. No. 48518 (no one?)

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

This is unfortunate, but the loco was one of the Barry wrecks which was eventually broken for spares to keep other locomotives in service. The repatriation of a further two 8Fs from Turkey may mean that some of the components from this loco will find their way onto one of these.

To be realistic we cannot expect everything we would like to be preserved, there are, to take a broader view, plenty of 8Fs around for people to see and to the majority, their progeny is not a major issue.
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

'nuf to make that fella with the very tall top hat turn in his buckles.
What did that other chappie say about the LNER pacific..we could have sold him ours.
Well good for the LNER if some of their built bits are used to prop up a foriegn engine. I bet it steams better as well.

All said tongue in cheek for the best possible taste as that disc jockey used to say.
Ian Brodie.......................I've changed my Christian name so as to remain annonymouse.
Marvin
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Marvin »

I'd rather it hadn't happened, but we have to accept that there was plenty of opportunity to preserve 48518 and no-one bothered to do it. At the end of the day it bothers me less than the general situation of LNER locos being less represented in preservation than the rest of the big four.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Personally, I hate to see any engine broken up. However, 48518 was a standard, wartime production 8F of which a couple of examples have been preserved so similar engines are extant, before even considering the ex-Turkish engines.

Just think though - when the GWR boys start swanking about their "new" County, we can think "yeah, wouldn't have happened without that Doncaster 8F!!"
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
LNER Fan 60008
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by LNER Fan 60008 »

I'd rather it hadn't happened, but we have to accept that there was plenty of opportunity to preserve 48518 and no-one bothered to do it.
That is what I find annoying. But as others have said, you have other 8Fs which are basically the same thing. It is still annoying to think the only Doncaster built one could have been saved, and as you said, no one bothered.
Just think though - when the GWR boys start swanking about their "new" County, we can think "yeah, wouldn't have happened without that Doncaster 8F!!"
Hilarity and irony shall ensue.
ooOOOo-oooo--o-o-----o-o-o-o---------o-o-o-o--------o-o
EM2
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by EM2 »

Who is to say that the boiler is still the Doncaster built one? I would have thought that it had been changed a few times before withdrawal.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Someone has to spoil the fun..... :wink:
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

And to go off track, slightly, Whatever happened to the 8F's that the LNER bought after the war, surely one of them deserve to be 'Preserved' as they did actually carry LNER on the tender, or were all of them scrapped ??

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Manna, the great tragedy of this is that one of them survived into 1968...
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

I will have to consult my extensive 8F tables to ascertain just how much of the Doncaster built 8F was actually left after withdrawal. I suspect not a lot! If it had been down the line at Crewe works there is no telling how much of it is really of Doncaster origin.

It should be pointed out that although it was built at Doncaster 8518 never was in LNER ownership and never carried an LNER number. It was on loan to the LNER until it could be replaced by an O7 Austerity in 1946=7.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Its a pity a genuine one Doncaster built and one that carryied LNER numbers didnt survive I would have loved to raise the steam pressure on LMS enthusiasts by turning it out as an O6.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

LNER Fan 60008 wrote:That is what I find annoying. But as others have said, you have other 8Fs which are basically the same thing. It is still annoying to think the only Doncaster built one could have been saved, and as you said, no one bothered.
All it needed was for you to apply your obvious leadership skills an a great deal of money and this loco could have been running now.

It seems to me that there is a culture in this country where some people expect 'them' to facilitate all sorts of objects of desire, without giving the slightest thought to the practicality cost of of these fantastical projects.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

There are three kinds of people, those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Four tyoes, St J. There are those who don't give a s***.

Personally, I'm one of the "Wo happen?" types meself...