LNER 8-wheel tenders.... plates on tender front

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

gdb
NBR J36 0-6-0

LNER 8-wheel tenders.... plates on tender front

Post by gdb »

The Yeadon volumes on the A4 and Tender (re)numbering contain a number of photographs which show plates fixed to the front face of the tender body, that is the vertical plates which are towards the loco cab. I can see the following plates in those pictures:-

[1] tender number plate;
[2] water capacity plate, 5000 gallons;
[3] water-scoop plate, to identify the water scoop handle from the handbrake column.

The tender number plate is included in the A4 nameplate sets from Severn Mill Nameplates, the other two plates are not included and the proprietor has advised me that the water capacity / scoop plates are not likely to be done (even as commission). I shall have to arrange for the remaining plates to be etched separately. There is no A4 based near to my home (North Hampshire) so I hope that a member of this forum has dimensions / photographs of the required items.

The references cited earlier show that the actual water level is indicated by "levels" which were painted on the inside face of the tender side sheet... to the outside of the water scoop control gear. I say "painted" because that is how I interpret the photographs.... however, I have been informed that Sir Nigel Gresley has a tender with water level markings in the form of plates. Might anyone know about the use of plates for the water level? For example:- when fitted... to which tender lots...

thank you, Graham Beare
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER 8-wheel tenders.... plates on tender front

Post by mick b »

One of Mallards tender . No idea if other side has any markings as no access to other side of Tender.
4.jpg
gdb
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by gdb »

mick b wrote:One of Mallards tender . No idea if other side has any markings as no access to other side of Tender.
Thank you for this photo... so the water level plates on SNG are not a one-off. The question then is:- When were tenders fited with plates which indicated the level of water in the tank?

This photo reveals another plate which is not shown in the LNER official photographs (Yeadon)... I cannot make out the wording completey, suffice to say that the plate appears to be in reference to operaiton of the water scoop. Hopefully someone will know what letteruing is on this plate and how widespread was this plate.

thank you, Graham Beare
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Boris »

The loco's with water pickups.

Some later ones had the plates on the side but most had a series of small holes in a rod at the side of the tender in the cab which when opened squirted water from all holes that were lower than the water line in the tender, so you could tell how much was in the tank by just 1/4 turning this small handle.
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
jamieP
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by jamieP »

60009 now has a more modern handle at the bottom of the water gauge pipr that when opened allowed water squirt out of the holes indicating how much water is in the tender.