SIR NIGEL GRESLEY AT YORK

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

SIR NIGEL GRESLEY AT YORK

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

I took this one from the viewing balcony at the NRM.The balcony was heaving that day-elbow to elbow!!
Attachments
train photos,Duchess,Union of south africa,Tornado  NYMR ETC 083.jpg
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: SIR NIGEL GRESLEY AT YORK

I notice there've been no comments about this photo-too dark?I know it was a typical Yorkshire summer sky!!Iput this on because i dont think this location has been on this forum before.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

It looks a decent spot to me.

Nice composition, the trouble is you're asking the camera to take two pics, the station middle distance and York skyline, and the loco. You could lower the camera to cut out some sky, achieve focus lock [and camera settings for that amount of light]and then raise the camera, keeping your finger on the shutter release button and take the shot. Not an ideal solution, but it can work.

Alternatively, if your camera has this feature, look up exposure compensation in your manual.

If none of the experienced photographers on here respond, have a look at RMWeb's photo pages or some of the photographic forums, the latter have a lot of waffle but some good (and simple) info.

If you can, when you get the new camera, try the same picture on different settings. Set up on a tripod on a day with decent light, work your way through the settings and record them. (Best to do this with landscapes, not trains!) I hope that would give you an idea as to how all the bits work/interact.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Thanks,i get the camera on Friday so things should improve from then!For the size(and cheapness) of the camera i've been using for the past 3 years,i'm happy with the shots i've got so far.Saying that,if CROMWELL is on the spa again this year,it will be good to snap it at speed without any blurring!!I took what i thought was a beauty at Rose Lane in Church Fenton last year-till i saw it close-up!!
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

Ferrybridge . Every one is praying for sunshine for the weekend!, happy snapping :D

Mr B ... Less fuss by bus :wink:
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Thankyou MrB!!!,there's a railtour coming through Knottingley a week on saturday(20th),behind 2 class47's on it's way to the s&c.Hopefully,i'll get a good one of that!
mr B

Post by mr B »

Settle Carlisle country,,, Garsdale the only place in the country you get hoizontal rain ! :?

Mr B..."Travels Arriva for free" :)
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Garsdale the only place in the country you get hoizontal rain !
No it's not and you don't need altitude either.
Bempton cliff top.
Fen Bog.
Any railway embankment.
Alongside the Humber between the bridge and Ferriby.
These are just a few of the places I have got soaked in.
And all on the railway.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

I'm with you on Bempton,or as my Flamborian father-in-law calls it:The land of cowshit and white wash!!!By the way,you left out Flamborough Head from your list.It can be the most inhospitable of places!!Me and the wife were on the Headland at the Foghorn station,and we saw a giant cloud of white approaching from the sea,and before we got to the lighthouse,we were covered in snow-all in a few minutes!!If you dont like the weather in Flamborough-wait 10 minutes!!!! :D
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I didn't leave it out as it does not have a railway.
The line at between Sewerby crossing and Bempton crossing looks like it is in cutting but I can assure you that it comes out near the cliff top and on a Feb Sat night at 4 in the morning it was blowing a North Easter as we took track out.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

You have my sympathy on that.Interestingly in Victorian times,people tried to get a tramway from the old Flamborough station on Bempton lane right into the village.It was eventually thrown out-a golden opportunity missed in my opinion.When you look at the size of Thornwick camp,something like a tram right up to the camp entrance on North Marine Drive would have been massively popular.
mr B

Post by mr B »

Hows the new camera going FF ? As you know I regullary replace mine ( cheap Canon ) the grand kids get the old one, however one of the cast off's blow the CCD, so grandad had to 'find out how it worked', once in bits I was suprized as to how many components had the Sony trademark !

Mr B .. loves tinkering
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

It's going brilliant thanks!!Went to York for the "Help For Heroes" day,and to the Worth Valley last Saturday.I'll sort out uploading to my p.c.,and put something on.Where's your snaps,Mr B?
mr B

Post by mr B »

Not sure if its in the right place FF but its unnamed Deltic 3 (Meld) on the down Scotsman at Darlington, the new EE type 5's took over from the EE type 4's as these were the only diesels fitted with water scoop's. Sorry abot the quality as all my old photos are Gratispool prints and are fading, a lot of the old Polaroid stuff is going the same way. Any way I've scanned this one its color belive it or not !
Image (5).jpg

Mr B ..
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

So long as you don't over-expose with digital, thereby burning out highlights and losing them forever, shadows detail can always be retreaved on computer. Hope you don't mind me having done a bit to your photo, but the location is against a good shot with too much clutter in the foreground.
A4 @ York.jpg