S&DJR 2-8-0 loco at Doncaster Works

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

S&DJR 2-8-0 loco at Doncaster Works

Post by neildimmer »

Morning all

Not sure if i have mentioned this before on here when i had the old fotopic site, but does anyone know why 53802 was at Doncaster and maybe someone has a date please

http://railway-photography.smugmug.com/ ... 75_pRVdVrQ

Neil
Andy W
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: S&DJR 2-8-0 loco at Doncaster Works

Post by Andy W »

It was in for breaking up - Derby Works being somewhat overstretched at the time. The Plant dealt with a number of LMR locos.

Date - probably March to May 1960.
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: S&DJR 2-8-0 loco at Doncaster Works

Post by Solario »

The 7F is part of what us spotters used to call a "Plant Stream". Note sure what the other loco is, a J6, perhaps. There were almost certainly several other locos in the stream. Usually a batch of five or six engines would be assembled at the shed, maybe only one in steam; then the procession would make its way through the station on the centre down main road. Somewhere north of the station, the procession would cross over to the west
side, I guess that the hauling loco would have to run round and then the stream passed to the west of the station, heading south - it is at this point that the photo was taken, it then gained access to the Plant, I seem to think that another reversal had to take place just before entering the works.

I remember the occasion well, I was probably stood very close to the photographer. It was certainly the most unusual loco that I ever saw at Donny.