TYNE DOCK TO CONSETT

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Allan
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

TYNE DOCK TO CONSETT

Post by Allan »

My earliest rail memories are of watching Q6's and Q7's struggling up the steep grade from the stop beside Stella Gill towards Pelton station. I could see them from my bedroom window across the fields, and they made a magnificent sight. Of course, they were later followed by the 9F's, and then it all went to hell with the diesels.....

Unfortunately, I did not have a camera to record these memories, and wonder if any forum members have pictures taken of the Stella Gill to Pelton short length of line, as well as the line from Stella Gill sidings up to Newfield, Grange Villa past Pelton level sub shed?
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: TYNE DOCK TO CONSETT

Post by mr B »

cant help with the photo's but knew the signal man from Annfield Plain.

mr b
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

My favourite Transport Video Publishing video was on NORTH EASTERN STEAM which featured an hours worth of steam in and around the north east featuring the journey from TYNE DOCK to CONSETT plus also steam workings around HARTLEPOOL & MIDDLEBOROUGH amongst other locations shown and loads of shots of Q6s WDs J27s & 9Fs on several north eastern sheds like TYNE DOCK, HARTLEPOOL, SOUTH BLYTH & NORTH BLYTH plus the WANSBECK flyer also the 3 miles branch from ALNWICK to COLDSTREAM :wink:

TVP transferred ALL there video productions to the dvd format EXCEPT this video which they claimed to me when i rang up to enquire about buying it on dvd that ''because it was of inferior quality it has NOT been transferred to the dvd format'' :?

TVP has released a dvd on NORTH EASTERN STEAM but it ISN'T exactly the same as the previous video release as it only shows a very quick glance of a 9F arriving at CONSETT IRON WORKS rather that the WHOLE journey from TYNE DOCK via ANNFIELD PLAIN to CONSETT.
soliver1
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by soliver1 »

Hi Allan,
Long time since your original post but...

Railway Bylines magazine, June-July 1996 has a great article on "Pelton Level and Waldridge Incline", including a photo of N10 69105 (corrected number) going past Pelton Level shed (between Newfield and Grange Villa).

You're lucky to see steam. BR blue onwards for me.

Hope that's useful.
Cheers, Steve.
Last edited by soliver1 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 52H »

Hi Allan
I worked at Pelton Level. I have few photos of Waldridge incline bank top and pelton level shed. I'm not very PC literate and not sure how to send them.
52 H
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Micky wrote:My favourite Transport Video Publishing video was on NORTH EASTERN STEAM which featured an hours worth of steam in and around the north east featuring the journey from TYNE DOCK to CONSETT plus also steam workings around HARTLEPOOL & MIDDLEBOROUGH amongst other locations shown and loads of shots of Q6s WDs J27s & 9Fs on several north eastern sheds like TYNE DOCK, HARTLEPOOL, SOUTH BLYTH & NORTH BLYTH plus the WANSBECK flyer also the 3 miles branch from ALNWICK to COLDSTREAM :wink:

TVP transferred ALL there video productions to the dvd format EXCEPT this video which they claimed to me when i rang up to enquire about buying it on dvd that ''because it was of inferior quality it has NOT been transferred to the dvd format'' :?

TVP has released a dvd on NORTH EASTERN STEAM but it ISN'T exactly the same as the previous video release as it only shows a very quick glance of a 9F arriving at CONSETT IRON WORKS rather that the WHOLE journey from TYNE DOCK via ANNFIELD PLAIN to CONSETT.
Micky my son I know you soft southerners find it difficult to judge distance but the 3 mile branch Was Alnwick - Alnmouth. The Alnwick Cornhill was slightly longer from Alnwick Station Junction to Coldstream West Junction was 35 Miles 46.42 Chains. The actual station was called Coldstream but the line was the Alnwick and Cornhill.
Cornhill and Coldstream are two villages opposite each other on the banks of the River Tweed with Coldstream being in Scotland and slightly larger than Cornhill so Coldstream station was at Cornhill, England.
Anyway the Aln Valley Railway are making great strides in the rebuilding of the Alnwick Alnmouth section and are almost ready to break out from their site on to the original trackbed. I will get permission to post some pics of the replica NER signals that have been erected recently.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

Here is a 9F on its way to Consett. Not sure of the actual date but it is probably 1963. Taken at Pelton.
Book 7 064_2.jpg
Book 7 064_4.jpg
ArthurK
52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 52H »

Hi all
Both pictures are taken at South Pelaw junction,again not sure of the date.
52H
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

52H wrote:Both pictures are taken at South Pelaw junction,again not sure of the date.
52H
Those 9Fs at Tyne Dock had compressed air equipment mounted on the left-hand running plate (i think?) to operate the doors on the mineral wagons.
Last edited by Mickey on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

I think the pumps were on the right hand side (when in the cab looking forward). Seeing photos of these engines in ABCs I assumed they had pumps on both sides. When, incredibly, I saw 92066 on a down freight in rural Northamptonshire (clocked the no and the 52H shedplate) I was on its left and I was VERY perplexed - it looked quite normal....
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

Here is 92064 at home in Tyne Dock.
Pumps clearly visible on the right.
Book 7 098_3.jpg
ArthurK
Cuddie Headrigg
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Cuddie Headrigg »

Hello Allan. Just got my eye on this today, but you can see a few pictures from that area starting here: http://ironroad.smugmug.com/1960s-Steam ... /i-rBBPWFK
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

As ever, a search for photos at Flickr can bring some great results. Try "Tyne Dock Consett" and this is what turns up

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=tyne+dock+consett

A search using "South Pelaw" is not quite as good, but does result in a few interesting photos.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=south+pelaw
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Irishswissernie
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Irishswissernie »

Back in 1963 I walked from Chester-le-Street to Consett via South Pelaw, Pelton etc and managed a few photos of the trains. Since then I have acquired a number of original slides and negatives. These are on Flickr in my West Durham set.
This is a 9F west of Pelton from the set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswiss ... 6909157358

Ernie
Allan
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Allan »

Hi Ernie, John and Bill,

Thanks for posting those lists - there are some great shots among them, and the references much appreciated. I was also looking for some pics of the Stella Gill yards (not the South Pelaw junction typcal ones) or the Pelton Fell Collieries that were active back in the late '40's and '50's. If anyone has one I would love to see them.