Heljan Gresley O2 2-8-0 'Tango'

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Brush53Falcon
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Heljan Gresley O2 2-8-0 'Tango'

Post by Brush53Falcon »

Thanks for all your comments so far gents.
There are going to be alterations to the GN tender top hopefully. The raised area inside the coal rails should not be there and the coal rails themselves are not what we were expecting. I do take on board other comments made regarding this area and this is a courtesy reply to acknowledge your input. The GN tender buffers should also be parallel shank, although we have seen a couple with strepped, but those on the model will be changed. We have a bit more time to work on the GN tender as it is not needed with the first releases.
As for the running plate we have measured up both the low and the high versions that are on the sprues and both these seem spot on. There is a difference of approx. 1mm in heights and that represents the scale difference. As you say it could be the angle being viewed at and it doesn't help the fact that the undersides are still unpainted. Also the rear of the running plate and cab were not secured down on the chassis block very well (a bit springy) so this may be part of the problem.
I am not altogether happy with the chimney arrangement and have specified one piece chimneys of differing heights rather than different height tops. The face of the loco is probably the most important part, I agree! We will have to see what happens next here.
As I have pointed out these are very much work in progress models and the object of the exercise at the minute is to make sure they run and fit together.
I have to report back by the end of the week so I will have to refrain from posting on here whilst I concentrate on this. I will report back as soon as some more improved samples are delivered. I think the rate of progress is good and the timing between the samples received gives us ample time to review and seek second opinions. Will be in touch soon.
Attachments
Heljan O2 06 resized.jpg
Heljan O2 05 resized.jpg
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Could the design team from the Tango go back and re-visit the EM1, EM2 and 86 please? ;) Oh, and chuck in an 89 or 91 whilst your at it - we'll leave the 87 to Bachmann

Honestly though, what an astounding model - I'll take one of each version! (according to eHattons I already have.. )
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Although I sent a PM to Brush Falcon back in July, it still hasn't been picked up so I'll post my remarks here in the hope that they'll been seen and will still lead to a positive outcome:

I fully agree with the mostly highly favourable comments on the forum about the O2s.

The recent remarks from Woodcock are valuable I believe. He has a good eye, having spotted errors in models that have eluded me in the past, and I think that point about the running plate is a good one. I'm tempted to think that on looking at the lower rear corners of the tank of the GN tender there is evidence that the radius exists as it should.

One other point perhaps. The chimney cap styles need to be dead-on as does the fit on the base of the chimney if Heljan must produce them in two parts. They will look very poor if assembly leaves a gaping joint half-way down the chimney, of if the crucial details of the Doncaster cap style are spoiled by flash and mould lines. Following a round of suitable persuasion by a highly observant and skilled modeller I became firmly convinced a few years ago that chimney appearance can be the making or the ruin of a good model.

Regards
Graeme King
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Brush53Falcon
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Brush53Falcon »

"Although I sent a PM to Brush Falcon back in July, it still hasn't been picked up so I'll post my remarks here in the hope that they'll been seen and will still lead to a positive outcome"

Graeme, I have sent you a PM with my apologies as I had completely overlooked any PM's! Tonight was the first time I had looked at any since July.............honest!!

Pressure of work and trying to get the Tango perfect is my only real excuse! Never mind progress is being made and it is thanks to members of this forum that this is continuing at a satidfactory pace.

Once I have some more news and hopefully improved samples then I will update you all.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I just had two emails from Hattons, concerning delivery dates on the O2s I have on pre-order.

Item no 3913 - O2/3 in BR black 63952 with stepped tender is expected either Oct or Nov this year.

Item no 3922 - O2/3 in BR black 63975 with flush tender is expected in Jan 2016.

I am beginning to get excited at the prospect.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

A couple of pre-production locos photographed here - https://instagram.com/p/1yFyHYFl00/
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Brush53Falcon
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Brush53Falcon »

Post by strang steel » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:53 am

A couple of pre-production locos photographed here - https://instagram.com/p/1yFyHYFl00/

For my sins I took these along to a 'Return to Grantham' venue last Wednesday just to show the 'Grantham lads' what the model was looking like for those who hadn't seen it in the flesh.
Once again these were pre-production samples and un-decorated, and were the ones that appeared at the Warley exhibition last November. There are still one or two little gremlins to sort out and when we are completely satisfied that all is as well as it can get then we should receive some decorated samples. This part of the procedure should be pretty quick and once approved production should start. I will post some better images, hopefully on a well known layout or two, when the next samples appear.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

They look utterly terrific frankly. I'm delighted by them - who would have thought we'd have five types of LNER 2-8-0 available in 2015? I do of course take the 8F and WD locos into account.

At least we know these will definitely appear! :)
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:
At least we know these will definitely appear! :)
Q6 will appear. Not saying who from though.

:twisted:
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Cryptic Penine?
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Pennine MC wrote:...Q6 will appear. Not saying who from though.

:twisted:
From Davy Jones' locker? :wink: :lol:
Brush53Falcon
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Brush53Falcon »

Just an update really but nevertheless good progress.
Heljan UK have received two further samples of O2/3 and O2/4 'Tango's' for inspection and review and subject to a few minor tweaks these will be possibly be the final ones received before production commences. We will now await some decorated loco bodies and tenders before long and once approved the 'Tango's' can go into production.
I spent all day yesterday 'Tango Testing' with Tony Wright on Little Bytham and am pleased to say everything went extremely well with one locomotive more or less pulling 40 wagons for a duration of 5 hours! I attach some images which Tony kindly took during the day and even provided some decoration on the O2/3 to give the model more atmosphere! The long tender drawbar coupling was extended in its longest position for some of these tests as it made the continued handling and inspection easier but this can be adjusted to the normal short position. I will keep this forum posted once further developments reach me.
Heljan O2 34 O2 4 & O2 3.jpg
Heljan O2 32 O2 4.jpg
Heljan O2 27 O2 3.jpg
Heljan O2 25 O2 4 & O2 3 smokeboxes.jpg
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

They look absolutely excellent. The only thing i'm wary of are the what I presume (happy to be wrong?) all plastic buffers, but in retrospect white metal and sprung replacements can be had relatively easily so not a big deal. Overall, brilliant for us LNER and BR/ER modellers. That they've performed so well at Little Bytham too is encouraging.

The one with the additional decoration does look fab.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Having looked at the O2/3 side elevation view at a magnification equivalent to a gauge 3 model, and it still looks good; only my dense hedge of a beard prevented the drool hitting the keyboard. Very promising.

Haven't looked back through this thread to see if I mentioned this before, but any chance of the GNR tender for the O2/1 and O2/2 getting a release as a separate item, ideally as a kit of parts? A very useful item and likely to win strong sales from the GNR/LNER and BR(ER) interest.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Brush53Falcon

Thanks for this - the models look stunning - I also saw them on Wright Writes on the other side.

The only query I have is that I presume the model of what looks like an O2/3 is in fact still a composite of parts as it appears that the chimney is too tall and in fact that from an O2/2 to the GN loading gauge?

I note the base of the chimney appears to be part of the smokebox moulding and consequently it is actually an O2/2 smokebox?

Keep up the good work.

Regards to all

Woodcock29