Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Well whilst putting away several recently purchased items into the wagon spares box I found an odd shaped W iron with
side holes.....thats the missing bit for my NER ballast brake...amazing....so out with the bits and progress todate after working on it last night.
I've added some plastic to the ends to enable the roof to have somthing to be glued too.

D120 has progressed and is now having it's base teak coat added, now needs the top coats doing, the ends and underside are now sprayed black.

I must say I've had amazing service in the last few days from Peters Spares, 51L & Lanarkshire Models..all next day delivery from orders placed after lunch...now thats what I call service.
Attachments
NER BALLAST BRAKE (2).jpg
NER BALLAST BRACK (3).jpg
D120 (6).jpg
D120 (7).jpg
Dunluce Castle
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Dunluce Castle »

That teak paint job is superb, nice one
Nelson
1̶6̶ 17 years old and modelling the LNER, LMS NCC and UTA (steam of course)
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Dunluce, since the picture was taken this lunchtime I've managed to apply a top coat of orange brown which has toned it down some what, I will try to take a pic tomorrow if I remember to take the camera to work.........depends on what time I get up.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

D120 with first application of top coat, another needs to be applied at least.

Quint D update....complete except for chains and shackles...chains I might get at Wakefield next month, the shackles will have to
wait till Scale forum next year, I only have the Ambis small ones in stock.
Attachments
D120 (8).JPG
D120 (9).JPG
D120 (10).JPG
LNER QUINT D (4).JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Parkside Lowfit just needs a few bits and its finished, again this will be finished as a new wagonand only lightly weathered.
Another wagon I've been working on in the background is a David Geen NER B1, again nearly finished, needs a bit more dirt.

The eagle eyed will notice I've not fitted couplings at present as I'm trying to decide on what type to go for, upto now it's been 3 link, but as I'm getting older
and with a young Grandson taking an interest I'm wondering about tension hooks with NEM pockets and have adaptor wagons for all my other
3 link stock...we will see.
Attachments
LNER LOWFIT (1).JPG
LNER LOWFIT (2).JPG
NER B1.JPG
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

What is the provenance of the Quint D?
(Sorry, couldn't work out from earlier in your excellent thread.)
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

drmditch,
The Quint D is a Cambrian kit (83). I spent some time bending up the 'D' loops only to find 51L do some very good cast ones, oh, to late for this one. Thank you for your kind comments.
Dunluce Castle
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Dunluce Castle »

Once again that teak finish is beautifully done, it all comes together nicely and those wagons are also excellent, can't wait to see more of your work :)
Nelson
1̶6̶ 17 years old and modelling the LNER, LMS NCC and UTA (steam of course)
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Dave wrote:The Quint D is a Cambrian kit (83). I spent some time bending up the 'D' loops only to find 51L do some very good cast ones, oh, to late for this one.
Thank you. I need some of those for couple of my vehicles.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you again Dunlunce.
drmditch the D hoops I got for my next Quint are 51L's flattened round ref uc052.

The D120 is now fully feathered in it's final coat just waiting for transfers to be added and the handles and handrails painting, then it can be varnished and the
steps added and glazed...so not a lot more for the carriage imps to do, they have been very busy of late.
It's had 2 top coats of thinned Vallejo orange brown and a final coat of thinned Vallejo saddle brown, light brown and flat earth well mixed.

Also just waiting for it's brake gear to be fitted is this Parkside LNER 12t 5 plank open, again will be finished as a newish wagon as it would not have been
very old on my modelling time frame.

Strange how all of a sudden lots of bits start to look like they will soon be finished...which makes a change..............
Attachments
D120 (11).JPG
D120 (12).JPG
LNER 12T 5 PLANK OPEN (1).JPG
LNER 12T 5 PLANK OPEN (2).JPG
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

What is the colour used for the Parkside open please?
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

Great minds think alike! Well, almost. Funnily enough, I've just built three LNER 12t fitted opens. These are the earlier 9' w/b versions, using the Cambrian kit and white metal ABS fitted brake gear parts. These have been painted and await lettering etc. 600 of these shorter wheel based wagons were built between 1924 and 1930. We shall have to compare our efforts, when we meet up at the Wakefield Show!

I'm also in the throes of upgrading two, and possibly more, Parkside/Dundas LNER Cattle Wagons. Again, I'm using ABS white metal parts to do both fitted and unfitted versions. New white metal axle boxes have been fitted, too - again ABS. These are awaiting to go into the paint shop.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

2512silverfox,
The colour is Vallejo Game Colour Dark Fleshtone 72.044, I think it's a very near match for an old tin of Phoenix Precision LNER red oxide I have.

Scottiedog, in that case I will bring some bits with me,.......plus reminds me of a saying....great minds etc. I have several of those cattle trucks in various states of being finished that are coming very close to the top of the pile for some more work.
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

Dave,

Will bring, the hopefully, finished opens and cattle wagons with me. I'll also bring the ABS white metal parts along too. I do think they enhance the Parkside/Dundas and Cambrian kits. The only problem with ABS parts, is getting hold of them. I generally pick them up from his stands at ExpoEM and Scaleforum.

With regard to the Cattle Wagons, I'm a little unsure about the axle boxes which come with the kit, which is why I have used the ones from ABS
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well I managed too do a bit more over the weekend to the ballast brake.

NER Ballast brake had its bottom steps fitted....now I spent an hour getting thes folded and part soldered on last night....much better than watching that boring abbey thing on itv my wife likes to watch, but what a chew bending them and keeping the legs straight.... even with my etch mate to help.

Any one got any idea what this is, I know its NER, it is probably a C somthing, anyway it's got it's grey finish on now, I do like this Cherry paints version, it's so thin the base shows through for a nice worn look.

This Cambrian wagon now has LMS (not the railway company) buffers fitted and a start has been made painting the interior

Friday a packet dropped through my letterbox with some amazing transfers...MARC Models LNER lining....I know they are expensive but hay ho it's only money and you can't take it with you. Anyway this lunch time I've done a test on the D10C...they look very good. Yes I know it's been far too long since it was started, it needs a few repairs too even though it was in a nice padded box, most of the glass louvers have dropped orf and a couple of steps need fixing, will post a pic when it's dry.
I've also got some Fox transfers I've had for a number of years so I've put LNER on the D120...I don't know if I like them or not...any views on them, to my eye they seem to have too much white on them.
Scottiedog I've build my Parkside cattle wagons into the 3 versions, early LNER/GNR with drop down door, standard 1927 version as the kit and the later 1937 one with the extra strapping, I never gave the axle boxes much thought, just used the ones in the kit or MJT versions, I do like the ABS brake stuff as it's a good way to get weight into the kit. I found this the other month when I was sorting through some box's
Attachments
NER BALLAST BRAKE (4).JPG
NER.JPG
LNER 6 PLANK OPEN.JPG
IMG_0267 (2).JPG