D&S GNR 6 wheel coaches

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

D&S GNR 6 wheel coaches

Post by Woodcock29 »

I'm in the process of building a number of 4mm D&S GN 6 wheelers.

Firstly I note that like many of the D&S range of compensated kits the chassis sits higher at one end by about 1mm. This appears to be due to the fact the pivoted W iron arrangement at one end sits up too high in the chassis due to flexing of the pivot wire. I could use thicker wire but I will stick with the recommended 0.5mm wire as this gives nice flexibility for the centre floating axle and the chassis, unweighted and without most w/m fittings seems to fly through my Peco Code 75 track, including the curved side of a double slip with no issues at all. I have however used Steam Era wheels made here in Australia, these are nice and heavy and provide weight where it is needed - pity they are no longer made in 14mm diameter.

What I'm going to try is to solder a piece of brass rod of about 1mm diameter onto the top of the pivoted W Iron assembly longitudinally in line with the pivot wire - this should stop the unit sitting too high when on the track and will allow the pivot unit to rotate about the rod. Does anyone have any comments on this proposal or any alternative suggestions? I can try any number of options as I have about 7 to build as 6 wheelers (others I have are going to be articulated).

Secondly one of the vehicles I'm going to build is the 6 wheel Parcel, Fruit and Milk Van. Does anyone know where I can get transfers for the wording Parcel, Fruit and Milk Van?

Woodcock29
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: D&S GNR 6 wheel coaches

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Hi Andrew, I can't comment about the GN 6 wheelers, but you may be able to get your transfers from 'Cambridge Custom Transfers'.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.