Ex-Ian Kirk LNER Coach Kits

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Ex-Ian Kirk LNER Coach Kits

Post by iainkirk »

My namesakes kits are endlessly upgradeable and can be worked into decent models - the greater the input, the greater the reward.
If you choose to use the kits/parts with parts frae MJT/Wizard/Mousa and such and budget sensibly, a goodish model will result.
The tooling was refreshed by Colin Ashby some years back so they should be reasonably OK still. It is nice to have them available again, if only to give one another option for coaches.
Other uses such as bashing them up for other more esoteric diagrams should also be remembered - re Steve Banks' articles for various stock built on auld GCR underframes...
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

carlislecitadel2 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:20 pm I wonder how difficult if would be to 3D print a corrected roof profile for these kits now they are being reintroduced? I have about a dozen corridors in my stash, plus a few unbuilt non-corridors which the Hornby models have made redundant.
By any chance would anybody know which diagram numbers were used in the sets that ran between Newcastle and Carlisle? I think they were 5 coach sets which included a buffet car, as per the Hornby model. I came across the info on these sets in a magazine once but soon lost the photocopy I took at the time and have never managed to find the article again. It’s at least 20 years old. I have looked in the Harris books for the CBP but, as far as I can see, the carriage types are not detailed. That’s not to say I have been blind when searching them - an observation frequently pointed out by my better half.
Wizardmodels.ltd do roofs for the 61ft stock, derived frae Isinglass drawings...
Bill Bedford/Mousa have also just done a 51ft 3d roof...
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

One thing I have never tried, until now, is to reprofile the incorrect ends with styrene.

Here is a standard end against a scale GA of an end:
IMG_7113.JPG
A curved section of Evergreen styrene .080 x .156" has been stuck along the roof line:
IMG_7114.JPG
Once cured the correct profile is filed. In this instance I have included the vertical beading in the carving:
IMG_7120.JPG
The idea with these is to cut back the roof length by an appropriate amount, glue in place, then fill with Epoxy Putty. Unfortunately I only have the one full width Kirk end to play with so am 3D printing myself some replacements with the profile already corrected.
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

It occurred to me that some people might appreciate some guidance on the errors/faults in the Kirk kits.
I was aware of the roof issues and the need for the windows to be be dressed "square" but, what other remedies or corrections are there for newcomer? Gentlemen, after you please... 😎
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

It occurred to me that some people might appreciate some guidance on the errors/faults in the Kirk kits.
I was aware of the roof issues and the need for the windows to be be dressed "square" but, what other remedies or corrections are there for newcomer? Gentlemen, after you please... 😎
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

iainkirk wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:14 pm ... what other remedies or corrections are there for newcomer?
In terms of external appearance, what I most regret omitting in some of the side corridor coaches I assembled is the brass handrail across the inside of the corridor side windows.
Detail additions to the roof are very worthwhile, cast ventilators, the end steps, grab rails around water fillers, destination board frames; and on
the ends a better Pullman gangway with the alarm gear.

If the ABS Gresley bogies can be found these add sufficient weight.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

I have very few Kirk parts left over from previous projects so to take the reprofiling concept further I have had to reclaim some old sides from another project.

As mentioned rather than use my one remaining Kirk end (albeit reprofiled) I printed some replacements on my FDM printer in PLA. Yes I could get better results with my resin printer but PLA can be glued to the Kirk parts with Plastic Magic.

At this point in time I have not opened out the window apertures. The Kirk sides have a moulding draft which is worth removing. Along the top surface of the side this draft can result in a visible gap between the side and the cornice. I file the top back square then add a strip of 20thou styrene to it.
IMG_7127.JPG
IMG_7129.JPG
IMG_7130.JPG
Part of the issue with the roof profile when viewed from the side is the curve of the domed part. This is made worse by the end being shorter than scale. When an end of the correct profile is used once filling takes place the curve should look far more reasonable.

I have now filled the joint between the end and the roof with Milliput and am waiting for it to harden.
Phil Brighton
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Really interesting idea. Will look forward to seeing how this comes out.
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by carlislecitadel2 »

Those ends look very nice Mike.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Reprofiling the ends makes a huge difference and now allows full height corridor connectors to be fitted. Kirk no more:
IMG_7135.JPG
IMG_7136.JPG
IMG_7138.JPG
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

That looks rather splendid.
I will be honest, the 51ft beasties are what I want to get to grips with. The CLC had some articulated twin-sets which could be created using the parts and some stock akin to the stock the LNER built using old GCR ambulance underframes.
The plot thickens... 8)
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

MikeTrice wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:14 am Reprofiling the ends makes a huge difference and now allows full height corridor connectors to be fitted. Kirk no more...
That's well worthwhile, but too late for my long ago assembled builds, which at least look appropriately shabby alongside BR's newly constructed mk1 stock.

Tangentially, should I ever find some sensibly priced s/h examples of the current Gresley coaches from Hornby, can they be 'carved' to deal with the overly vertical sides and excess width at the solebar? 'Someone' must have tried this; but I haven't seen a write up, most likely due to insufficently diligent searching on my part.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

If you want too, cut the Solebar off the floor, then reduce the width, and then glue it back on. Then cut the body making a slot at the base then the body can be persuaded inwards 1mm. I have seen it done on threads a few years ago.

OR

I tried this once, never again, instead of using the Hornby body as made. I removed the sides narrowed the floor and reglued on the Solebars , I then glued on MJT etched sides onto the body then repainted etc.

Still not easy and very messy too.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Thanks for that, so it's a fairly obvious 'chop shop' job. Have razor saw etc. so just needs a cheap victim. (It's the BR crimson and cream liveried I have in mind, as painting these ranks them in the 'tried that, never again' railway modelling category. BR maroon, I can manage...)
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:01 pm Thanks for that, so it's a fairly obvious 'chop shop' job. Have razor saw etc. so just needs a cheap victim. (It's the BR crimson and cream liveried I have in mind, as painting these ranks them in the 'tried that, never again' railway modelling category. BR maroon, I can manage...)
Have a read here

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... man#p25680