Saint Johnstoun's thread - projects at the Kinnoull Shops.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Saint Johnstoun's thread - projects at the Kinnoull Shop

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

I had not forgotten about HE1506, the Grand Daddy of them all. I await photos and other details and you can guarantee it will appear in due course too. Can anybody out there help with a pic of 1506?

I will need to apply some genetic engineering to create HE1506 though!
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Colin Mountford "The Private Railways of County Durham" page 43 has a RHS front three-quarter view.

As to genetic engineering, it looks like a till-roll and styrene sheet job. As to boiler mountings, your guess would be better than mine, but it shouldn't be beyond the mind of man. My own bodged approach to the utilitarian dome might well be a bit of plastic tube and some judiciously shaped milliput... The chimney appears slightly flared, which may complicate matters unless someone already produces commercially a passably similar one.

EDIT: There are also a couple of colour pictures on Durham Mining Museum's website (http://www.dmm.org.uk/railway/lm13-000.htm) - a front and a rear threeequarter view, both RHS, the front one may well be the same as the b and w in Mountford's book. I'm off to see if I can find a LHS view.

No joy on the LHS. However:

- Colin Mountford's "The Bowes Railway" has at page 101 an almost straight-on RHS photo.

- Leading dimensions are given by comparison with the austerity tanks in a letter from Mountford to the Industrial Railway Society - it is one among several at this location:(http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/26/Letters_28.htm)

- A perhaps helpful resume of the origins of the austerity tanks is on the Kent and East Sussex Rly website at http://www.kesr.org.uk/stock-register/s ... usterities

And I reckon that's about the best I can do pro tem

auldreekie
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

thanks to Auld Reekie I've managed to create a draft drawing of Hunslet 1506 which I append here. More photos and information are coming my way so eventually a very accurate drawing will be created and an 'Austerity' butchered to get a model.
Hunslet 48150 Class etc.doc
(184.5 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

Glad to have been of service. And impressed with the rate of progress.

One point (and you will no doubt be more up to speed than me on this): you might need to be certain that you've got the horizontal bracing behind the buffer-beams right. From many years ago I seem to remember that this started relatively flimsy (or non-existent) and got beefed up over the years as "improvements" were introduced.

auldreekie
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Up to the Austerities there were single gussets between the frames and the buffer beams, but after a few rough shunts double gussets were fitted, expressly to new locos delivered after 1950 and on locos returned to Hunslets for repair. The J94s never received this modification, only those in Industrial use.

Have just attacked another body this morning and fitted a Giesl ejector. It has been sprayed black (needs another coat) and will be finished off as one of the NCB NE locos.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Progress with Hunslet 5016. I thought I would have to use tube for the boiler etc. but found an old Hornby Jinty body in my bits box - selective cutting has produced most of the parts needed - these all still need to be trimmed to fit the modified lower body off the Austerity.
Hunslet 5016 parts.jpg
A new cab front will have to be made from scratch, the dome hole filled in and I have a suitable whitemetal dome to replace it. As for chimneys I have managed to source same from 247 developments.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

The rest of the parts arrived yesterday to create Hunslet 1506 and an immediate problem arose, in that the motor would not fit in its original location without fouling the boiler top. There were two options - try to locate turned 90 degrees in its original location but here it was found to foul the side tanks, so I came up with the solution below. This may be applicable to other uses of the Austerity chassis!
Hunslet 5016 motor.jpg
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Have you tried running the chassis with the motor in that position? Looks like a good 'fix' for your problem.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

The chassis has been tested and it runs fine. Leaves room for a good lot of weight in the rest of the boiler area.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

latest progress - ready for some body filler. Incidentally, this loco was registered for running on the LNER and later BR!
Hunslet 5016 progress.jpg

More filler required and then final tweaking of the cab eaves.
Hunslet 5016 progress 1a.jpg
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

HE1506 nearly there apart from a few handrail details and transfers. I will also add works and LNER licence plates.
Hunslet 5016.jpg
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

Looks splendid already.

That MAY teach me to interfere!

auldreekie
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

What next? I have a Barclay 0-4-0ST kit to do and then the 0-6-0 Fireless.

Then back to bigger (LNER) projects for the winter nights!

In the meantime - the whole Austerity story is shown here.
Hunslets 8b.jpg
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Very tidy, a rugid looking bunch of work horses there. Now what would the collective name be for a group be, a herd of hunslets maybe....

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

Once more: that's great.

auldreekie