North Eastern Railway Wooden Bodied Snow Ploughs

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

DJR
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

North Eastern Railway Wooden Bodied Snow Ploughs

Post by DJR »

Hi All,

I've started this thread to continue discussions on our 3D printed NER snowploughs which were in the wrong thread, here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9750

For anyone who hasn't seen them:

The snowplough in the pictures is the only one in existence at the moment, it is based on No 11 & 12. No 12 being preserved at the NRM in Shildon. I'm considering doing an example from the set of No's 1, 3, 9 & 10 (With open veranda). I'll be leaving No's 18, 19 and 20 well alone as these are being beautifully modelled by 69843
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: North Eastern Railway Wooden Bodied Snow Ploughs

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nice. That looks a more suitable choice of prototype than some I've seen for production in model form by the 3D print process.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 69843 »

Thank you for this DJR. I had purely forgotten to do this, as I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

As mentioned, I am working on the 1909 built, wooden framed trio of 18-20. This has been a bit hard, due to my location Down Under, but I have been given invaluable help by Bryan/Ploughman. For this I cannot thank him enough.

The CAD file is about 85% done, with a few jobs still left to do. This has been developed on very much an 'as able' timeframe, due to finishing up my final year of schooling. As I am about to enter my finals, the file won't be progressed on until the 4th of November.

The file as it stands for the moment is below. The 6w chassis is designed to take everything down to a 438mm Radius 2 curve, for those that wish/need to operate over curves this tight. Another point is that it should really be able to clear snow, as I have included a large space (essentially the half of the cab that is behind the blade) for adding weight as necessary. The two pony trucks for the front and rear axles have small weight pockets, to help them track better when being pushed.

While I can't promise they will be ready to deploy for the 2014/15 snow season, I am sure they will be ready for any freak storms and the 2015/16 season.
NER Snowplough 18-20 15.jpg
NER Snowplough 18-20 17.jpg
The underframe, shown as if traversing a curve
NER Snowplough 18-20 underframe 2.jpg
And the chassis parts (and NEM pocket)
NER Snowplough 18-20 chassis parts 4.jpg
If there's any questions on these, don't hesitate to ask, although I might be a bit slow in replying for a bit. I'd also be interested to gauge interest in these from anyone who may want one/a set.
69843 (3801): Now attempting 3D CAD/Printing. Peppercorn P2 coming shortly....

Passenger attendant with Transport Heritage NSW/Heritage Express. All views are my own, and are not those of any groups that I may be a part of.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Any news on the kits ?
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

I'd be interested - this looks good :)
DJR
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by DJR »

Sorry only just checked this, my kits are available:

http://shop.djrmd.co.uk/epages/es782293 ... ucts/4-001

Hope I'm not breaking any rules posting the link!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Helpful of you to post the link if you ask me.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 69843 »

Sorry lads, I've had a very complex couple of months recently.

The kit is still being finished up, but is almost ready to be printed. I have someone helping me with a test. We had hoped to get it ready to test in the winter months in some snow, but that is unlikely now. Snow is a bit scarce out this way.....

Hopefully it will be ready before July 1st. April is the goal, but going off the last few months, anything can happen. The best laid plans of mice and all that.
69843 (3801): Now attempting 3D CAD/Printing. Peppercorn P2 coming shortly....

Passenger attendant with Transport Heritage NSW/Heritage Express. All views are my own, and are not those of any groups that I may be a part of.