Robs workbench...in works grey...

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Robs workbench...in works grey...

Post by rob »

A long haul,esp as I had them primed in April but hadn't the heart to finish them since! But I needed a break from baseboards so....heres a potted build history as well.
This blurry shot shows the basic sub-assemblies.The footplate on the RHS is the original and needed lengthening,the one LHS is from the revised test etch.
Boilers rolled and ready to join to smokebox.The join technique is a clever part of the etch,flats allowing the boiler to telescope in.The early etch was difficult to roll being stiff N/S ,the revised has extensive relieving lines etched in,but in retrospect I should have filled them with solder as the rolling was TOO easy and produced a stepped effect which had to be carefully stoned and polished out.ON balance,a plain sheet for the boiler would be best.
This shows the two tender tanks underway.The sides are beautifully detailed half-etches which fit well,the flares took a deal of patience to form and are then soldered along half-etches to the sides.
Getting the tender and loco footplates level.The tender does not have a sub frame for inside bearings and its a fiddly job.
This blurry shows the worm,later hidden by the floor and backhead.Branchliners compact,40-1 Romford,DS10 and small flywheel.
Holding the RCTS pose!
and Dapol couplings to finish-not very finescale but they have worked for me so far!A very satisfactory build.And at least I can be pretty confident Hornby won't be announcing these for next year!I think Jonathan is next up to bat by the way!........
Last edited by rob on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:30 am, edited 41 times in total.
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Fantastic! Those engines have wonderful character :)

This really makes me want to build one now :P where can I find them, and what are they like to build?
The user formerly known as Bass.

Post by 45609 »

Excellent work there Rob. Nice to see some "in progress" photos as well. My next project will have a GCR flavour but I'll keep you in suspense for a little while yet.

Cheers....Morgan
rob

Post by rob »

Bass,these etches come from Bill Bedford.The key castings are available from him too but it is not marketed as a a kit-no instructions for a start!-there is a lot of input needed from the builder,from working out what the parts on the fret are onwards.Nearly everything fits well,some of it is very ingenious but it is essentially a P4-type project that I have "dumbed down" to 00.It is always hard to guide on how a build was.Tremendously challenging and satisfying but I don't intend to attempt anything as complex as this again!That said,they are a lovely prototype,and another you won't be seeing in RTR I'd hazard a guess!
Morgan,I'm intrigued- :? but I hate suspense :cry: on the other hand,everyone likes a surprise :D .Just don't keep us waiting too long :P
It's not a B7 by any chance.......?
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Captain Baxter fan 626 »

Whoa nelly those look awsome! These are some of the best I've ever seen.
Once an engine attached to a train, Was afraid of a few drops of rain.
He went into a tunnel, and squeaked through his funnel! And would not come out again.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Lots of character with the con-rods outside the outside frames...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
rob

Post by rob »

Here are some photos of my last project of '07,two Chivers pigeon vans and my old(15 yrs plus) Parkside CCT refreshed with Jons recently comissioned transfers-my thanks to you again Jon!
And just looking at these as they download I think I may have to paint the lower steps black,I'm not sure I'll get away with the teak paint!
I did try Rogers trick of painting the ducket windows black but it didn't look right-I think the more determined finescalers could easily drill and file them out though,I'm happy as is.
Both great kits,very enjoyable few evenings put down here!
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Rob,

Looking very good! :D As I've said before you've got the teak effect down to a fine art! Hows the layout progressing?
Steve
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Those pigeon vans really are smashing! You're very good with the Teak livery :D
The user formerly known as Bass.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Rob
Excellent work. I personally would paint the Guards Ducket a darker shade of teak . The Pigeon Van on the NNR is a much darker shade , but its your choice either way keep up the good work

seasons greetings

Mick :D
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

see below

regards

Mick
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks very much Mick,I can easily repaint the duckets as they are not overvarnished-I will try and mix something up though Humbrol do a colour like that which I have previously used on wheels and solebars if I can find the tin!
Its interesting to see the handrails are also"teak" as I remember reading somewhere recently that this colour has been found when stripping stock down for restoration and may have been standard,rather than black.I have always wondered about the black(which jars against the rest of the coach )being used by a company which despite its relative poverty took a great deal of care about livery and corporate image-teak handrails make sense,again easily changed if I confirm this in future.
Cheers,Rob
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi Rob
I have read the same article re handrails, I believe it is the NYMR LNER Coaches being restored which have confirmed the colour.
I didnt notice the Black Handrails on your models until you mentioned it !! one advantage is they can be painted att the same time!! I have painted my suburban coaches with rails and handles in teak colour. I use Precision LNER Coach Teak

f4kphantom
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by f4kphantom »

Hi Mick, I have also been using the Precision Teak but haven't been able to get the same depth of colour as yours. Do you use any specific primer, I am using Halfords standard grey stuff but wonder if perhaps yellow would be better?
Cheers, John
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi
Grey Primed with Halfords and then after a very good stirring I use a airbrush normally two coats is enough. Hope that helps.
I have tried white and red primer as well you get a very slight variation in the final shade of the top colour , I prefer Grey personally.