Robs workbench...in works grey...

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mallard
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: On Robs workbench-will 2011 be Year of the Layout?hmmmm.....

Post by Mallard »

rob wrote:Heres another I made some time back...GC 6 wheel,15T,from the Falcon Kits range....
This still has the Hornby couplings I used to use,need to be replaced with Dapol in line with my standardisation program!
Very attractive vans Rob. The look the 'biz'.
Now, where's this layout thing then? :o
By the way, I've asked Andy at Isinglass about the possibility of a 7mm version of you know what!
C U at Donny + the King?
Phil.
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: On Robs workbench-will 2011 be Year of the Layout?hmmmm.....

Post by rob »

Thanks Mallard..though reference to Graemes thread will highlight the errors!...hopefully will get away with them on a big "forget the quality,feel the width" size layout!
The layout is a pretty permanent job housed here in Ireland,so I'm afraid its unlikely to get too many visitors....and I'm presently unlikely to make it to any big UK shows though its on the "to do" list if I ever get to retirement!
Good news is I have the extra control panels built,though they need sanding/varnishing...glue drying as I type..... I have even begun to draft the dreaded track diagrams!..in fact I made better progress than expected,but see to my horror the rough plan I'm working from has an "ok 30/6/08" sign off by myself...have I been tipping at it that long? :oops: Thats not so good.....
rob

Re: Robs workbench

Post by rob »

I'm afraid it's been a good while since my last post but at least I'm not back empty handed....the panels are sitting fully varnished and complete with track diagrams awaiting the marking in of sections,decouplers etc and I have moved forward with the tracklaying as well.
The photos here show something of what will hopefully be one of the two main station/shed/yard complexes on the layout...its opposite will be across the centre aisle...the section in the photos is now fully tracklaid but not wired and the stock has been moved onto it for safekeeping while I proceed with the same order of underlay/points and motors/tracklaying on the other side in the next few months(hostage to fortune).Both will then be linked by a double "mainline" running down one side of the attic...in effect two large animated display cases/shunting puzzles...my last layout was a smaller version of this and great fun to operate if pretty unrealistic...this will hopefully be much the same!
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-imag ... .jpg[/img]
The above shows the shed area from roughly the station throat...the Bachmann coaling plant is in fact intended for the other yard,this side will have an NE style raised stage....the double track with the "kinks" in it is in fact the "mainline",kinked to give some bit of interest to the arriving and departing trains...I'm well aware of all the valid arguments against straight track layouts but it suits both the very linear nature of the room and my wish to display as much stock as possible....
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-image ... .jpg[/img]

The next two shots show the goods yard,again much too linear I'm afraid but maximises capacity....there is a spur heading off right which may link to a narrow board on the RH wall of the attic sometime...

The final shots show the TT in place,motorised but not yet fully adjusted or wired up,and what will be the station area.....I'll try to move ahead with the other terminal now,and then wire both and begin testing before comitting to finalising track diagrams...though I also intend to contact Arthur soon for those J73 castings,I think I deserve a bit of loco work soon!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Good to see your six-month update Rob, and good to see the progress you've made. With such a selection of LNER locos and rolling stock you can probably get away with most of the other "shortcomings" that you mention :D .
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Looks good, Rob and puts my puny efforts to shame.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks Blink Bonny and Graeme...have made a bit of progress on the other side recently but still needs a bit more thought...I was less advanced there than I remembered....
Just going to put up the J3 photos here to archive them on the thread....
Nu-Cast kits with the tender from their ex-Sutherland Q1,not 100% accurate but suits my need for a good selection of the less glamorous but ubiquitous workhorse locos..
I have some J6's to do eventually....again,Nu-Cast though I think London Road offer both of these in etched form with a lot more options for tenders etc.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hey Rob,

J3 looks fantastic glad to see you're still with us!

Wouldn't the cab been lined as well though?
Steve
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Looks good, Rob. Keep up the good work.
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks BB...Steve you are absolutely correct re the cab lining :oops: ...I originally omitted it on a K2 built before I was aware it went up and around....decided I could safely leave it off these workhorses....but I must seriously consider adding it especially as I eventually have N2's to build and I will have to include it on them and that will make the other GN prototypes look out of step even more...unfortunately it probably means having to revarnish the whole loco in each case so I'm in no hurry!
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Rob, glad my memory isn't as bad as I though! Sorry if I've created extra work for you though! :oops:
Steve
rob

Post by rob »

Re the extra work Steve,must confess I'll probably leave it!..... :oops:
Here's the start of the first new loco build in quite a while!....though once a chassis runs I always reckon I'm halfway there already!
Image[/url]
The flywheel is facing front here,its a Nu-Cast F1.I'm so out of practice that having got started on the chassis I then spent a happy evening researching Yeadon's Vol 39-F4 etc,and only twigged I had the wrong loco tonight.Had a number picked out and everything..... :P
I knew I had the kit in stock and had a memory of very bad castings when I'd checked it over but in fact they're not as bad as I remembered!We'll see how it goes......chassis went together very well,might be a good omen!

Re: Robs workbench...F1 build kicks off....

Post by 45609 »

Hello there Rob,

Glad to see you back at the work bench and since I last posted in your thread I can see lots of rolling stock and acres of layout. Fantastic. If only I had that much space.... :mrgreen:

I'm afraid I have been a bit of a lurker over the past year. I must resurrect my workbench thread over the coming winter months. I have a few things on the books this modelling season, quite a bit is non LNER, but I do have a brace of A3's to put together. Since this time last year the only loco of LNER interest I've managed to complete is this K1. A DMR kit built pretty much per the instructions although there are one or two things that I adapted to my way of building. I was pretty pleased with how it turned out. It's a decent kit. If I get time I'll post some details in my workbench thread.
P1070688_sm.jpg
Cheers....Morgan
Last edited by 45609 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jukebox
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jukebox »

That K1 is very easy on the eye, Morgan.
If a Thompson rebuild is the answer... the question must have been daft to begin with!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nice to see two worthy contributors return :D . More please Gents....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

That K1 certainly is excellent. Good on yer!