Robs workbench...in works grey...

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Robs workbench...F1 build kicks off....

Post by rob »

The main castings were soldered together last night,going together very well for their age...I aim to do a few tests of BB's coupling theory with the chassis attached to the body but without motor installed so it will be in "pushalong" mode.....
Image[/url]
[/url]
The smaller parts need fettling next and I must now look to see if my memory is correct in telling me I have a few misc Belpaire backheads stashed away somewhere under the baseboards....
rob

Re: Robs workbench...F1 bodywork ok...

Post by rob »

Well the smaller W/M parts are fettled and ready now but I haven't got around to testing the couplings....heres a potted guide to how I hollow out old style W/M chimneys....I may not bother with brake gear but solid chimneys seem to irritate me!
Image[/url]
Luckily all I've come across so far have a largish cast spigot underneath!...appropriate size drill bit in a cordless drill...make sure its well under the narrowest diam. of tapered chimneys,it can be opened out more later..keep the bit lubricated ...try to drill as vertically as possible and hopefully it comes out through the spigot,often causing it to break off neatly too
Image[/url]
The inside will next be neatened up with files and an exacto knife before the casting damage around the rim is addressed....
Image[/url]
This is done by adding a small blob of solder around the rim which is then reshaped with files and 400 wet and dry,then finally the chimney is wedged onto a paintbrush handle and twirled while held in a "blob" of 3M metal polishing pad.
Image[/url]
The bigger gaps in the body joints have also been filled with Milliput since this so a bit of progress again...I've found this kit much more enjoyable than expected so far.....
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Robs workbench...F1 chimney fettling.

Post by jwealleans »

Another rather cute little loco I'd like one of. Keep this one coming, Rob. I can't believe you can do that and then say you can't work in plasticard.
rob

Post by rob »

Regrettably managing Plasticard is one of those vital modelling skills that passed me by Jonathan!......ragged edges....weird geometrical shapes that defy all known laws....score marks....furry edges....mekpak fingerprints......a dustbowl of plasticard remnants....I've used cardboard for van roofs and cab floors rather than attempt plasticard!.....whereas W/M seems to obey me more willingly!
I have tried!
Buildings etc will all be card I reckon.....I can't imagine what would happen if I tried anything more ambitious than a fogmans hut in plastic...even that would end up looking like a damaged packing case..... :?!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

That chimney looks good. Hmmmm..... :mrgreen:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks BB...heres a brief update,not a lot done recently but I have bodged together a backhead....Falcon originally I think with the "firebox" from scrap...
Image[/url]
Despite the stygian gloom that will descend when I put the lid on,I will fill the worst gaps with Milliput and see if I can cover in the tank ends etc.
A second fill around with Milliput and then handrails etc before final assembly...
Merry Christmas everyone!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Robs workbench...F1 backhead

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Merry Christmas to you too Rob.

Those generous chamfers now visble on the inside edges of the cab sheets show just how thick the Nu-Cast whitemetal is.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Looking good Rob, Sadly it's the wrong shape but I have the mark one backhead that I made for the Q7 in a box here that you could have had if it would have helped.

Looking at your Chimney makes me keep looking at mine on the A3. I may end up taking it off and drilling it out, although as I plan to prime it this afternoon in my newly finished spray booth I had better make my mind up quick.

Christmas is going to add an F4/5 to my pile (actually I have had it for a month or so since my son gave me the money for it). I plan to have my first go at working inside motion with this one.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Working inside motion... young people of today... they'll expect it to smoke and make sounds next. Pah!

It may not be completely accurate, Rob, but it looks good to me. Seasons greetings to us all.
rob

Post by rob »

Hello all....looks like it was a long Christmas but in fact I have got a bit done...not the working valve gear though Jonathan...the youth of today eh?..How right you are!...though in fact I'm still pleasantly surprised when anything I build actually turn a wheel!
Rob thanks for the backhead offer...that was a very nicely detailed piece as I remember....I might take you up on it for a future project esp as it would be lost under the lid here!
Image[/url]
The boiler fittings and cab roof are only sitting here but the rest are soldered...I'm going to need to lift the body a little at the rear I think....
Image[/url]
Buffers had very fragile stems but went on fine...I'm using Carrs Yellow Label a lot for W/M recently,its particularly effective at getting the solder to creep into joints yet seems to stop it flowing where its not needed....I feel the Red Label I used for years is less effective than of yore...has anyone else noticed that?...even with top quality W/M from the likes of SEF or DJH..
I had these vans fettled before the F but only got around to whacking them together now!
Image[/url]
51L LMS ex Caledonian van...not much to note here except very wide axlebox spacing,I originally overdrilled the holes for the bearings....simple and effective kit otherwise..I need to add to my "other company" fleet so this fits the bill nicely.
Image[/url]
...and finally a real blast from the past...looking over my thread here shows I have a fondness for antique kits ....an SEF Tar Tank...understandably took more fettling than the van but went together well...most people here would upgrade the brake levers at least but its fine by me...I must remember to add the bracing rods though!It was also a case where tackin-soldering the corners then melting one again was vital to getting it sitting foursquare...its how I'd do any non-chassis W/M wagon or tender but this needed it more than most!
rob

Post by rob »

Hello again.....at long last a few progress pictures on my slowest builds yet....the J73 is I think nearly 4 years on the long finger!
.....but at long last nearly ready for paintshop...though I will need to test run a bit to bring back its zest before painting the chassis and do some final small filling jobsI think...
The F1 is also nearly ready to go though I'm going to have to just double check the coupling arrangement will cope with small radii during test running as well because I don't fancy having to unsolder the coupling mounting bolts if it doesn't work and I find out after painting...for a well-dated kit its gone together just fine....
And finally the humble wagons...for what must surely be one of the oldest kits on the market the SEF tar tank has also worked out ok and with its higher bolster offers a little bit of difference to the Slaters version....
I would aim to roof the van of course...but am tempted not to bother with a floor...is that a bad idea?...probably....!
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

They have come together nicely Rob.

The J73 is on my hit list at some point but sadly the list keeps getting bigger :lol: . 7mmMick has supplied me with a parts list for scratchbuilding one so I may get around to it at some point since I quite like scratch building. The finecast tar tank looks excellent for it's age. I really enjoyed the gas tank wagons that I built from SEF too.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nice to hear from you again Rob (and Rob).

Merry Christmas to you both.

Nice tank engines by the way.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:
Merry Christmas to you both.
All the best to you too Graham, and you Rob.
rob

Post by rob »

Merry Christmas to both of you gentlemen!...yes Rob,the hit lists get scary...this will be the first Christmas I can remember without a kit on my wishlist....my fear now is I'll never build all those what I already have...certainly if the last 4 years are any indication....btw really enjoyed looking at your blog...my compliments to your good lady too,those paintings are exquisite!
Once again Graeme I must settle down and catch up with your recent adventures!...as well as a number of other threads...!