Robs workbench...in works grey...

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Robs workbench...plasticard,the root of all evil...

Post by rob »

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hmmm... Old stock? It can go brittle after a few years. Empty a wine bottle and use that to form a new one. You'll feel much better.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If you don't favour importation I understand that Guinness or Bushmills can be used in a similar way......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Robs workbench...F1 backhead

Post by Robpulham »

rob wrote:btw really enjoyed looking at your blog...my compliments to your good lady too,those paintings are exquisite!
Thanks Rob. The blog is an attempt to get everything in one place. Thanks too from Chris for the kind words about her paintings.

This is the subject of her latest painting - http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=395596 It's taken at Wakefield Westgate in the 1920's. It probably won't come as much of a surprise that I have just ordered a kit and extras to replicate the loco....
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks you gentlemen some of the most palatable advice I've had in some time!...I think I may follow all of it!
Rob look forward to seeing both complete in due course!
PGBerrie

Post by PGBerrie »

Robpulham wrote:This is the subject of her latest painting - http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=395596 It's taken at Wakefield Westgate in the 1920's.
What a superb photo - makes me feel quite home sick!

Peter
rob

Post by rob »

Well they're finally ready for paint shop...but the rottten weather has me hesitant about applying primer so it may be sometime before I'll be showing them in "works grey".....
I did have to attach the couplings to the pony trucks as they were derailing wagons on the test track but it wasn't the worse job as far as this goes....the castings don't look great here but I'm inclined to think will sharpen up under primer despite the age of this kit....Arthurs J73 makes some contrast though...
Overall I'm v.pleased with both kits even though they represent polar opposites of the technology spectrum!
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: Robs workbench...progress...

Post by Manxman1831 »

Both tank engines looks superb.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.

Post by 45609 »

Nice to see you are still keeping busy on the modelling front Rob. Both locos looking good.

Cheers....Morgan
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Yes, pleased to see you're still doing a bit, Rob. Once you get the paint on it'll feel like a huge step forward. Both nice tidy jobs, those.
rob

Post by rob »

Thank you gentlemen,its been very satisfying getting these complete...I'm going to make a real effort to prime asap..it can be done by my emptying the accumulations from the porch and heating it a bit so I might just put the effort in!
It forms sort of spray booth....!
BTW Jonathan the plasticard roof had just enough in it to retrim and just about get the job done!...I forgot to post the wagons,will show them in primer!.....still don't get on with it!!!!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Any advance on the layout Rob?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
rob

Post by rob »

Yes I'm pleased to say Graeme....one of the messiest jobs,laying and painting the underlay on the second station side....some provisional marking out....should be onto some tracklaying soon.....
Nothing like your level of productivity though!
rob

Post by rob »

In primer now though not my best ever application...despite heating the porch etc I've produced a mediocre enough finish I'm afraid....perhaps the tins were a bit past their best too...
Luckily rather than wait for a nice bright day I took the "works photos" with flash so a multitude of surface sins are hopefully hidden....roof is detachable,not my usual technique, but it all fits so well I couldn't resist it this time!...and hence the gap here,it won't be there when all's finished...
And the F1...
Clearly the rivet detail was better when the moulds were fresh but I'm happy overall....I can see my impatience with how long I took over these here and there and will take a little more care with the next builds...whenever and whatever is to come....
Next update once ready for road...I wasn't going to line the F1 but I may just decide to to make up for slight neglect of her elsewhere....!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Robs workbench...in works grey...

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You're being harsh on yourself Rob!