Copenhagen Fields & TFW’s workshop

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Copenhagen Fields & TFW’s workshop

Post by Mickey »

Tim Watson wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 pm Image[/URL]
Maybe we should just put a steam generator in the tunnels, so they’re hidden, a bit…
Well Gasworks tunnel was called The tunnel that never stops smoking!.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Tim Watson wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 pm...
There aren’t any decent close up photos of it, but these are the arms that will be modelled. At least two of them should probably work sometime, as they signal a conflicting route, but we’ll see.
Maybe we should just put a steam generator in the tunnels, so they’re hidden, a bit…
In this context, what do "Bl" and "Bx" stand for?
Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Tim Watson »

Belle Isle Down Box.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Some more progress on the signal gantry at Gasworks Tunnel. 
The dolls were filed up very quickly from some 2mm square brass. I use very sharp, coarse, Vallorbe files to shift metal and then dress with finer grades. 
The bridge is only partly planked, with over half open at the top. This was not catered for in the etch and so it required the herringbone bracing to be made. This was bent up from brass wire. 

After bending, the wire was flattened in a vice and soldered in place one node at a time. It has strengthened the structure rather well, as have the lower footboards for the signal dolls. 
Should add a bit of interest in the ‘trough’. 

Tim
Jim de Griz
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Tim Watson wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 pm After bending, the wire was flattened in a vice and soldered in place one node at a time. It has strengthened the structure rather well, as have the lower footboards for the signal dolls. 
As always, fascinating to see the process you use to build these items, and I cannot believe I didn't think of that!

Jim de Griz
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Tim Watson wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:48 pm Belle Isle Down Box.
Thanks
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

After a bit of fiddling there is now a working somersault signal on the Belle Isle Down signal bridge on CF. There will be another arm working (these two signal a conflicting route)  and the other 6-8 can be in fixed positions. I’ll try and take construction photos when the next one is being made. 
The signal arm was chemically blackened to prevent it being soldered solid. 
The video shows it simply being pulled on its connecting rodding. There will need to be some cranks and linkages across the bridge to activate it. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/VnEL8bWzMaU? ... 0BXnNldx1-

​​​​​​​Tim
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

I've done somersaults in 4mm,single post and thought I was a very clever boy....then the A2...that westinghouse pump......I need to lie down in a darkened room!!.. fascinating work!
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

As mentioned previously, I have taken some photos of the fabrication of the second somersault signal. The main components come from MSE (Wizard Models). The etch doesn’t quite manage the holes for the operating linkage so these were drilled out 0.2mm for the linkage and 0.3mm for the pivot. 
The signal arm bracket requires a bit of work to help locate it on the doll. Working on the principle that it easier to drill a long 0.5mm hole through the doll rather than 0.3mm, the bracket was bushed with a length of Albion Alloys brass tube, OD 0.5mm, ID 0.3mm. This then acts as the pivot for the spectacle and back blind. The far end of the bracket also needed building out with a washer. These components were located in a vermiculite block using pins and soldered together.
The pivot bush makes it easy to locate the bracket on the doll.
Once in place, the front face of the pivot on the bracket was filed flush, as the spectacle has to work behind the signal arm.Image
The spectacle was soldered to some 0.3mm brass rod and filed flush. It was then linked up with a length of thin phosphor bronze wire through the 0.2mm diameter hole in the actuator arm.Image
The PB linkage was bent forward in the position of the application point on the signal arm.Image
The three components were then chemically blacked to prevent soldering (but scraped off where the collars / back blind needed to be soldered on.
Once on the bracket the pivot pins were retained with a collar  and the back blind, which was also used to connect the drive rod.Image
This arm doesn’t quite pivot as vertically as the other one: the linkage length and pivot relationship is critical, but it is within the normal range. I am jolly glad that I don’t have any more to make as working arms on this signal bridge as my patience and eyes are pretty well exhausted. 

Tim