Is this a model of a North Eastern Railway wagon?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Shane H-G
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Is this a model of a North Eastern Railway wagon?

Post by Shane H-G »

Hi. There an item listed on ebay at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/triang-hornb ... 4605177100 which is livered NER. But does anyone know if it a North Eastern Railway wagon, or if it is a later era wagon which just happens to have NER on it a part of its livery?
Thanks
Shane
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Is this a model of a North Eastern Railway wagon?

Post by MikeTrice »

Link does not work.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The link worked for me yesterday, and it was the T-H 'Coke wagon' from the distant past, first released lettered NER. Memory of past comments by the NER-knowledeable is that it bore some resemblance to an NER coke hopper design, with what were then typical 'distortions' to take the one size fits all 10ft wheelbase wagon chassis.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Link didn't work for me when I tried it shortly after Mike found the same problem. Original question is duplicated and answered elsewhere (in "classifieds") too.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Almost a year to the day since the last posting I have just come across this.

I too have this model (5 in fact) and 'always' reliable sources tell me this is 'loosely' based on a NER coke wagon although the underframe is not at all correct.

Photos I've found show the NER wagon with 4 'separated' planks above the 'butted together ' planks where as the model has 2 separated planks. However there is a photo in 'A Portrait of the North Eastern Railway' (p81) which shows NER coke wagons with just 2 'separated' planks but the sides angle outwards, not unlike the NER P7 wagon.

According to Hornby's Collector Club details these models were on sale from 1971-1974 so they have been getting things very wrong for quite some time.

Until (hopefully) some maker produces a correct model of the NER coke wagon I am going to keep my 5 but any ideas of correct NER numbering would be appreciated. (I'd like to get this right at least until I can get correct diagram and have no faith in Hornby even having 52220 as an accurate number).

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Since sending the above post I have come across 'paulztrainzus' which shows, what they describe as 'LNER R5 Coke Hopper Wagon 10 ton'

Would this be a correct representation of the actual NER coke wagon discussed and does anyone know what format this product is produced in - I take it is possibly in a form to be laser printed.

Thanks again,

Graeme lery
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It's an image for a train simulator game. There is no physical product.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Blast, I thought I was on to something there - thanks Jonathon.