Hornby Gresley Coaches into GNR versions (Complete...not quite)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Hornby Gresley Coaches into GNR versions (Complete...not quite)

Post by Jim de Griz »

Thanks Danby.

I agree, I was quite surprised by the difference given I'm having to use a magnifying glass just to get them set correctly into the roof!

Jim de Griz
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Hornby Gresley Coaches into GNR versions (Complete...not quite)

Post by Jim de Griz »

Well that is the London Set done, thanks again to Phil for the inspiration to change over the vents.
01 London Set.jpg
I thought this view might be of interest
01 Close Couple.jpg
As I was retrofitting the mechanism and floating plates to a coach that was already glued together, I couldn't quite get the floating ends fitted correctly which meant they extended well past the 1mm specified in Keen's instructions. Long story short, the end result was derailed coaches.

Moving one of the connecting bars per coach 1mm or so forwards cleared the problem. They now run smoothly round 2nd radius curves and through the congested point work at the station's throat.

Also, note the 3d printed Isinglass bogies. A little tricky cutting through the bogies with a razor saw to make allowances for the Keen mechanism, but only 1 of 4 broke and that glued back together with only a moderate amount of bad language. Time will tell if I've weakened the bogies too far, but to date the only area giving me trouble is a distorted point that is already on the 'to do' list for replacement. (in fact the replacement has been acquired and is awaiting painting before fitting)

Now if I could just work out a convincing way to create the communication gear at the ends I'd be happy to mark them up as fully complete. (Until I see the next feature I want to add anyway!)

Jim de Griz