Beavertail bogies

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rob_Rossington
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Beavertail bogies

Post by Rob_Rossington »

Hi,

I’ve bought a 3D print of a rebuilt beavertail for my Dad for Christmas. I’d like to include the bogies with it but I’m struggling to find information about them, specifically whether they were 8ft or 8ft 6. I’m assuming they weren’t replaced with Thompson bogies during the rebuild? (Is there much difference between Thompson and Gresley?)

I’d be really grateful for any assistance!

Thanks!
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Re: Beavertail bogies

Post by Seagull »

The bogies were 8ft 6in as built and remained so after they were altered.

The Bachmann Thompson bogies (I assume it is they you are referring to) will do perfectly well as although they are not exactly to scale you have to look at them really closely to spot the small errors.

If they are going past a scale 70mph I challenge anyone to say what is wrong with them.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

The bogies should be Gresley 8'6" Heavy.

In answer to your earlier question Thompson did develop a bogie which looked completely different to the earlier Gresley type however it did not really catch on. The Bachmann Thompsons are fitted with Gresley bogies.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Rob_Rossington wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:49 am Hi,

I’ve bought a 3D print of a rebuilt beavertail for my Dad for Christmas. I’d like to include the bogies with it but I’m struggling to find information about them, specifically whether they were 8ft or 8ft 6. I’m assuming they weren’t replaced with Thompson bogies during the rebuild? (Is there much difference between Thompson and Gresley?)

Thanks!
I'd be interested in seeing the kit before you gift it to your Dad. It's origin and what's included. Is it as built or rebuilt?
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

The only real difference between Thompson Gresley bogies and Gresley Gresley bogies is the cut out for the dynamo pulley. On a Thompson Gresley it's at the top and on a Gresley Gresley at the bottom. I think 🤔 I have those the right way round.
Rob_Rossington
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Rob_Rossington »

Thanks Gents!

So basically the Bachmann bogies should be labelled as ‘Gresley Bogies for Thompson coaches’ rather than ‘Thompson Bogies’!
Mercator II wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:58 am [quote=Rob_Rossington post_id=144055 time=<a href="tel:1639907381">1639907381</a> user_id=5543]
Hi,

Thanks!
I'd be interested in seeing the kit before you gift it to your Dad. It's origin and what's included. Is it as built or rebuilt?
[/quote]

I’ll dig it out tomorrow to be wrapped and will post a picture or two. It’s from a seller on shapeways. I believe he does it on a range of scales. It’ll need a bit of detailing and whatnot, but that’s part of the fun! :)

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UMTR ... li=ostatus