Hornby 2022 LNER Coronations are coming !!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hornby 2022 LNER Coronations are coming !!

Post by mick b »

Isinglass Models are bringing a 3D set out soon.

Set for £275 plus wheels and paint. Easy kits to paint as well.

https://www.isinglass-models.co.uk/3d-m ... ilway-shop#

Hornby can go swivel at that price. :D
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Easy to paint is one thing, but if the surfaces, as supplied, are not absolutely free of stepping/layering/ridges then it won't be possible to achieve a lastingly excellent finish by painting alone. Have Isinglass prints attained perfection now? Even if some prolific modellers who really do know better try to pass off dodgy 3D prints with a quick coat of paint as "layout models", to my eyes a myriad of ridges (even fine ones) showing through paint as the light reflects of the surface makes a model look dreadful. The thickness of primer/paint that some apply to bury printing ridges spoils crispness and covers up a load of other detail too. Even then, ridges can show again later as the paint layers continue to shrink. Hours spent carefully scraping and rubbing down before painting are the only remedy I've found for far too many of the 3D prints currently on offer from various suppliers.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

These should be the simplest zero panels to contend with.