Rapido new proposals

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Rapido new proposals

Post by john coffin »

I see that Rapido are introducing two new types of models
J52/2 with a number of liveries. Hopefully they have not followed Hornby with the wrong wheelbase?

More complex is their promotion of a re run of the Stirling single they are providing it with the small tender,
and re iterating the argument about Sturrock tenders. Since I only heard about it this afternoon, I have
emailed them, and got a reply which is good to know.

I have told them that they are wrong, but their excuse seems to be that "most people"" think it is a Sturrock tender
and by changing its name we might lose some of our customers"

We have discussed this before here, it was and always will be a combination of two early Stirling tenders.

Both it and the J52 are a lot of money, with the cheapest J52 being around £150, plus £ 100 for DCC
the Stirling single is over £ 200, plus £ 100 for the DCC version.

Would be nice if thosew who might consider buying would let Rapido know that they are wrong about
their customers preferring to be ignorant of the truth.

Paul
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rapido new proposals

Post by mick b »

They want £250 for the Single basic version.

Locomotion are also selling a rerun of the Large Tender version as not surprising its a limited run (ker ching ££££ $$$$$)!!. No price so far.

There will be a lot of peeded off people who have been daft enough to pay £700 on ebay for one.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

The single price is not that far adrift from the price when first released. I did think that if it was ever re-released it would be North of £300.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I contacted Paul about this false attribution of the tender yesterday afternoon. Whilst I eventually felt compelled to get an example of the first release of the Stirling Single (but definitely not as an un-seen, un-proven pre-order item) I certainly don't need, and wouldn't buy another, nor in all probability anything similar at that kind of price.
As for the money demanded for the tank engine, I've now become much more satisfied with the old Hornby offering...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:34 am ... As for the money demanded for the tank engine, I've now become much more satisfied with the old Hornby offering...
My old Hornby body has had a Bach 57xx mechanism transplant, so runs sweetly. It can go into late steam condition filth.

I will be very pleased to have an early preservation condition version of the 'old lady' that 'Captain Bill' preserved. It was based a short cycle ride from home, and beyond my youthful nostalgia, also fits my chosen modelling 'end of steam' date span and KX inner sub area location. Perfect!
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:34 am...
As for the money demanded for the tank engine, I've now become much more satisfied with the old Hornby offering...
I spoke to someone who has been designing a J52 kit. There's promising noises about it catering for the preserved example.....
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

It does look that LRM may be marketing at least one of the earlier versions of the J52.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Doing more research, I discovered that Locomotion are re-introducing their original model of No 1
with the large tender, because at the time of that being originally produced no one wanted the smaller tender.

However maybe none of you noticed that by using No 1 as restored, they have not put back the splasher
slot panels which would have been applied after 1880, so for all the talk of accuracy, they have got that wrong too.

When discussing No1, it is worth remembering that it was restored in 1909 to as near 1870 condition as was
possible, considering that it had in 1880 been rebuilt with longer frames at the rear, and larger trailing wheels.
Thus an 1867/8 tender even with smaller wheels is more accurate than No 1 in 1870/80 condition with open
splashers and a large tender!!!!

Oh don't you just love when so called experts ignore simple things :twisted: :roll:

paul