Beyer Garratt

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Beyer Garratt

Post by Kestrel »

Just had an email from Rails of Sheffield to say they are working with Heljan and Locomotion Models to do a U1 Beyer Garratt in various guises from 2395 in grey, 2395 in lined black, to 9999 and 69999. Available from early 2025 and are taking orders now.
Last edited by Kestrel on Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Beyer Garratt

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Now there'll be even more layouts portraying them doing work that they never did in locations that they would never have visited, running on non-scale easy-lay track alongside just the same rolling stock and lineside structures that can be seen on countless clone layouts. Some of course will simply stay in Magpies' collections, mint and untested in unopened mint boxes. Never mind making models, just send several hundred pounds to foreign factory in a potential hostile nation...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Wouldn't mind 1 of those, however, the big question is how much the loco will be. Also I hope it will be made to a far better standard than the LMS Garratt was with it's non lasting motors snd valve gear that fell apart while they were running.

I remember when I was a member of RMweb that there was 1 modeller ( cannot remember who his name ) who completely rebuilt the LMS Garratt he'd purchased although his rebuild was extensive. I think he either purchased a locomotive chassis kit appropriate for the loco aswell as the wheels and motors thus or just purchased the necessary parts needed in order to use the original chassis and repowered the loco with motors generally used in kit built locos, it was 1 way or the other but whichever way it was rebuilt it ended up far better than it was.

Lets hope 2395 / 69999 turns out much better.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Presumably the Heljan product? A duplicate would seem - inadvisable.

The O2 has proved reliable, I have 2, and while the mechanism construction is an awkward cuss, they haven't required any work, and are smooth running with the best haulage of all the RTR 2-8-0s I operate, the usual selection for the ECML from the mid 1950s.

Over on RMweb it is claimed that the next batch of O2's have a revised mechanism, so we'll get a look at that well before the big one grunts into view. One for the collectors I feel. The much more useful LNER group 0-6-0T's recently announced more my cup of tea.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Mersey508138 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:57 pm Wouldn't mind 1 of those, however, the big question is how much the loco will be.
They're talking about £339.15 or £442.00 with DCC sound with a warning that prices may rise by the time they are available.

Who made Hatton's LMS Garratt?
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

I think Heljan produced the LMS version and the number of posts I saw on RMweb during my time of membership told me it was an absolute disaster of a loco, so many issues from what I can remember.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

One total rubbish O2 was enough for me. Poor design,quality, cab window sizes and unpainted plastic etc etc. If some people had a good one then lucky them.

I wont be buying anything Heljan ever again.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Rather than a (probably?) unconventionally constructed expensive model (of un-known reliablity) portraying a unique loco that only really did one job in one place, a modestly priced model of a numerous and very widely used pre-WW2 (or pre-group inherited) maid-of-all-work loco class, the model constructed to high and consistent standards, along thoroughly conventional lines, using one of the once widely "standard" sizes of axle in bearings that will if necessary accept replacement wheels and axles, would have been considered far more useful by many modellers who try to create a realistic representation of the LNER.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

There's a Peco video on Youtube displaying its pulling power with it pulling 18 Pullman coaches on their layout.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Presumably only a matter of time before they offer one in Garter Blue... :roll:
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning from a damp Surrey

I built the DJH U1 a long time ago(~40yrs) and it ran after a fashion.

After I retired I rebuilt it with two Mashima1624s running through High Level Loadhauler Plus 80:1 gearboxes and it runs well. It will negotiate Peco middle radius points (3ft?).

The pulling power is amazing, just what one would expect with a large boiler full of lead. I think it weighs approx 750g. I don't think 18 coaches is fantastic haulage. My old Wills A4 rebuilt (like many of my old locos) with Mashima 1830 running through High Level 30:1 gearbox will handle the equivalent of 33 coaches (hoppers weighted to equal weight of coaches as I don't have space for a train of so many). It will haul more when I add some lead.

The DJH kit is getting very expensive to complete and I enjoy building kits. There are those who do not build kits for various reasons and RTR is the only way for some people to obtain an U1.

For anyone who wonders if I'm some highly skilled engineer, I am not so lucky, and had a so-called "classical education" without such skills as metal working. However, I did work for a chemical company, where there was an instrument workshop down the corridor and many of the workers were railway modellers and they taught me many techniques.

I've waffled on for far too long.

Earlswood Nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I tend to agree that unless they are heavy, stiff-running coaches, and/or some gradients or toy-town curves are involved, then 18 isn't necessarily a fearsome load. I suspect I have some relatively small locos without he-man motors that could pull 18 coaches of the right sort, in suitable conditions.

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Mersey508138 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:57 pm.... I hope it will be made to a far better standard than the LMS Garratt was with it's non lasting motors snd valve gear that fell apart while they were running....

...Let's hope 2395 / 69999 turns out much better.
History sometimes has a habit of repeating itself.....