Ex NBR 0-4-0, LNER Y9

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Ex NBR 0-4-0, LNER Y9

Post by 52D »

I am converting a Hornby Smokey Joe to a Y9 does anyone know of a good set of drawings or any photographs from above showing cab roof and boiler top detail. Has anyone done this conversion or the GER Y5 conversion with the flat top tank.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Ex NBR 0-4-0, LNER Y9

Post by Malcolm »

52D,

Guess what? Hope these can be of some use.
I know they are not from above but maybe you can use them (if you haven't already seen them)
Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks Malcolm i have seen one of them before, i particular am fond of the last St Margarets photo as i intend the finished model to be one of the St Margarets locos. Look at the picture of the two locos and note chimney difference. Have you anything on the Y5. I may post a few builders notes if people are interested.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Only this one, sorry. Lots of Y4s and Y6s

Malcolm
Last edited by Malcolm on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Brilliant i wonder how many people realise how closely related these two locos are. They are both based on a Neilson design and to think there was a third design for a main line company albeit belonging to the Caledonian.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Is that Y5 dual braked?
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

It looks as though it has a Westinghouse pump. I imagine dual braking would have been a good idea as these locos were pilots/works shunters and presumably handled all sorts of stock.
Caledonian
NER J27 0-6-0
Location: South Gosforth LNER but Aberdeen (Kitty) originally

Post by Caledonian »

They were indeed a Neilson design going back to the 1850s (if it aint broke don't fix it).

Both the NBR and the Caledonian bought and ran Neilsons before building their own. Apart from the cab the NBR version is pretty much pure Neilson, but Drummond mucked about a bit with the Caley 264. The most obvious difference is his much more elegant lum (chimney) and the tank filler forward of the dome rather than behind it.

If you go on to the SRPS website they have both a preserved example of a Y9 and a pure Neilson. Don't know about drawings, though their website photos are pretty good. There are basic drawings for the 264 in Haresnape and Rowtledge's book on Drummond locomotives. Contrary to rumour the overall dimensions for the Hornby model are right, but you will need to disguise the enlarged firebox (needed to accomodate the motor) with coal - this shows up pretty clearly in 68101 above
Stuart

A fool is a person who makes false conclusions from right principles; whereas a madman, on the contrary, draws right conclusions from wrong principles [Encyclopedia Britannica 1797]
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Can anyone point me to a source of chimneys, tank filler, safetyvalve cover and dumb buffers to suit a Y9 i realise that this class had a lot of differences between locos. I am also looking for a good basic Y9 reference drawing.
Caledonian
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Caledonian »

Can't help there, although I do note Bob Rowlands has a kit-bashed Y9 on his North Leith Citadel layout, so somebody out there may well be offering a conversion kit.

The St. Margaret's photo above is interesting. 68095 (on the left) is the one preserved at Bo'ness and both are flanked by what appear to be 350hp diesel shunters - to all intents and purposes there's nearly a hundred years between the two designs.
Stuart

A fool is a person who makes false conclusions from right principles; whereas a madman, on the contrary, draws right conclusions from wrong principles [Encyclopedia Britannica 1797]
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

One of the reasons i am keen on the Y9 is that my grandfather started his working career at St Margarets before transferring to Berwick (NBR) then Tweedmouth LNER. I can well imagine a first firing turn being on a wee pilot so thats why i am doing this conversion. Do any pics exist on the above layout on the net.
Caledonian
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Caledonian »

Not that I've seen; it was covered in Railway Modeller for December 2004 and in Hornby Magazine March 2008 - the Y9 only appears in the latter so it must be a recent jobbie.

As to first firing turns there's an interesting article in Steam Days for September 2007 by a guy called Jim Gordon who started at Inverness in which he mentions he had his first firing turn on a Caley 264, so it is indeed very likely that your grandfather did the same on a Y9 - speaking of which, it mignht be an obvious point but you do know that these Neilsons Puggys were right hand drive, so he'd be on the left of the footplate
Stuart

CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

I wonder if that dual braked Y9 had enough puff left after running the compressor and drawing a vacuum. So in theory could it blow up vacuum at one end and air at the other and push and pull separate types of carriages? Obviously in practice too dangerous as it would have no visibility.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

CVR1865 wrote:I wonder if that dual braked Y9 had enough puff left after running the compressor and drawing a vacuum. So in theory could it blow up vacuum at one end and air at the other and push and pull separate types of carriages? Obviously in practice too dangerous as it would have no visibility.
7230 was a shunter at Stratford Carriage Works where it was used for the brake testing of coaching stock as well as shunting duties.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thank you for that missive Bill i hadnt realised that. Are you the Bill Bedford at Matlock Station?.