BACHMANN ANNOUNCE O4

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

BACHMANN ANNOUNCE O4

Post by mick b »

Hi
Bachmann have just annouced for 2009 the ROD Class O4 in three liveries BR preserved BR and LNER :D :D @ £124.00 each !!
Mick
Caledonian
NER J27 0-6-0
Location: South Gosforth LNER but Aberdeen (Kitty) originally

Re: BACHMANN ANNOUNCE O4

Post by Caledonian »

Oh good... no release date of course, but at least the announcement means there's no need to waste a vote asking for one in the MREmag poll this year :wink:
Stuart

A fool is a person who makes false conclusions from right principles; whereas a madman, on the contrary, draws right conclusions from wrong principles [Encyclopedia Britannica 1797]
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

mick b wrote:Hi
Bachmann have just annouced for 2009 the ROD Class O4 in three liveries BR preserved BR and LNER
Would that be Really Filthy, Unfeasably Clean and Working Filthy?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The RODs seem to be the big missing gap in both N & OO RTR.
There were lots built and they ran with a number companies. Of course there were lots of variants & rebuilds (the LNER recognised 10) which would make it more difficult.

Bachman say they intend to produce most of their OO range in N, so here's hoping for an O4 in N!

Rumour has it that their N releases will include a Peppercorn A1. If they do and it has a tender drive similar to their Royal Scot & Jubilee, then this would open up the possibility of a Peppercorn A2, and much-needed retoolings of the A3 and A4.
The truth will be out in a matter of hours...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I notice that at this summary of the Bachmann 2009 range the Thompson coaches make a reappearance in crimson & cream, probably to capitalise on the new A2. Judging by the photographs they haven't been retooled and the window frames are still a scale 6" deep, though I'm hoping they've just used old photos and that when the Thompsons do return they'll have the flush glazing they so badly need. However, I suspect that the absence of any reference to them on the front page at the Bachmann website means I'll be disappointed.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

AHHH Darn it! Decided a couple of years ago that 00 would never really cater rtr for the GCR and considering kitbuilding was going to be the order of the day- I went up to 7mm!

Oh well, well done Bachmann for listening to the will of the serious historical modellers. Take into account a LMS and GWR version and they're sure to have a winner on their hands!

Will
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

I have been so happy all day. an A2 and an O4, I really never thought I would see it, I must crack on with supplies of coal wagons for the girl to pull. Mnid you we have 18 months (atleast) to build up the fleets.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Caledonian
NER J27 0-6-0
Location: South Gosforth LNER but Aberdeen (Kitty) originally

Post by Caledonian »

So having produced the well received Super D last year and now announced the similar Robinson 04, are Bachmann henceforth to be the producers of the useful but unglamorous, while Hornby with their bigger High Street presence continue to concentrate on the flashy passenger stuff?
Stuart

A fool is a person who makes false conclusions from right principles; whereas a madman, on the contrary, draws right conclusions from wrong principles [Encyclopedia Britannica 1797]
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Let's hope so.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Caledonian wrote:Oh good... no release date of course, but at least the announcement means there's no need to waste a vote asking for one in the MREmag poll this year :wink:
s*@^, I already did :x :x :x
The user formerly known as Bass.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

I wonder if they'll make it in GCR livery
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Or even (shut that man up) GWR livery or Australian Industrial livery with a slight LNER connection i think they passed through Hexham in OZ.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Whilst I've already posted this news and rumour "off topic" in another thread, I'll put it here too so as to try to preserve some sort of order on the forum: The word from the Bachmann rep at Peterborough show was, I believe, that the O4 could be expected next Easter-ish.

Looking close-up at the prototype in Hull last weekend, I was impressed overall, but slightly disappointed to see unnecessary exposed gearbox under the boiler, and rounded-off top front corners to the frames ahead of the smokebox. The pony wheels also appear to be ambitiously close to full size, and to the underside of the (presumably) metal running plate. If running on uneven track is required, I imagine some recesses in the underside of the running plate will be vital if short circuits are to be avoided.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

I had a good look at the pre production O4 in the Bachmann display cabinet at Warley last weekend. It has now been hand painted into BR black with an Early crest and number 63635. One thing I did notice is that it appears to have a ROD tender with a small circular water filler cap and no water pick up gear.

Graeme, didn't you have a conversation with Bachmann about the tenders? Just wondering if they plan to do the tender with water scoop as well?

Also does anyone know what type of tender the preserved O4 has?

Cheers...Morgan
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I submitted suggestions / requests to Bachmann on the following points:

1. The desireability of separate availability of tenders.
2. The logic of making the drive unit in the loco sufficiently compact to make the 8-coupled chassis a potential fit in other GC bodies such as the 0-8-0 and 0-8-4T, along with ensuring its direct suitability for all other variants of the 2-8-0 including the high-running plate O1.
3. The complete feasibilty of keeping the space under the boiler barrel completely clear of motor and gearbox.

The prototype model suggests that point 3. above has not been adopted and I've had no form of feedback from Bachmann.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.