BACHMANN ANNOUNCE O4

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: BACHMANN ANNOUNCE O4

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Just to add my tuppence worth ;)

Quoting myself from RMweb:
My copy of Railway Modeller has photographs of an 04, plus a drawing, and the model's review with the slide bar and cylinders well photographed. G-BOAF is correct in saying that the slide bars are set too low. However, it doesn't detract from the look of the model hugely, and I would not have gone looking for it had I not been prompted first by this thread.

Railway Modeller's review gives great praise to the model for its detail. The photographs show an exquisite range of detail in the cab, the leaf springs on the tender, and in other areas. It's an absolute stunner, in my opinion, and I will need to get a job to try and fund my own Bachmann O4.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Can I take it that the RM drawing is, as usual, the Ian Beattie version? If so, it's not bad, but don't for goodness sake believe all you see unless you also see that it is exactly like that in a photograph. His version of the tender is particularly bad regarding the the oft wrongly portrayed water-filler / pick up apparatus where it shows above the tank, looking for all the world as if he simply copied the errors from the older Roche drawing of the "Immingham" tender.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Can I take it that the RM drawing is, as usual, the Ian Beattie version? If so, it's not bad, but don't for goodness sake believe all you see unless you also see that it is exactly like that in a photograph. His version of the tender is particularly bad regarding the the oft wrongly portrayed water-filler / pick up apparatus where it shows above the tank, looking for all the world as if he simply copied the errors from the older Roche drawing of the "Immingham" tender.
Not sure if it is - but I would agree with you, in principle, if it is the Beattie drawing. A father of a friend of mine is working on an etched tender kit for a director - and he once talked me through the problems with that drawing.

That said - the O4 looks phenomenal. I do so want one, but I shall wait until funds are - er - present! Before ordering :lol:
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

Well done Bachmann: job done.

Now get cracking on reducing it to N gauge....

Will
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Having now looked back at the photos of the review sample loco in BRM, I too can see that the angle at which the cylinders and slidebars sit definitely is not right. They are much too steeply inclined, with the result that the piston rod and con-rod appear to lie in a straight line when the driving crankpin is a bottom-dead-centre. Utter mechanical nonsense that would not last in real life. It's as bad as US Bachmann's "Emily" in this respect - a loco that could so nearly have been a decent Stirling single.

Unless there are recesses with un-used depth in the lower face of the running plate above the cylinders, above the slidebars and above the stretcher for the bracket that holds the tails of the slidebars, then there's going to be no simple option of packing the mounting points to make things right. It will be a case of having to either live with something that is definitely wrong, or do a lot of head scratching and then get out drills, files, grinding discs or what-have-you and boldly assault your brand new and by no means cheap loco!

Let's hope that the bulk delivery locos are a pleasant surprise in this respect, but that seems unlikely if the review samples came from the main batch but arrived by air whilst the other took the slow boat from China.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Now that I've seen the "in pieces" pictures of the O4 so that I can be pretty sure that my scheme will work without further major effort, I can of course point out that the cylinder / slidebar issue won't matter a jot if and when I deploy this little item that has been biding its time in a box under my modelling bench since I got nasty with a B1 body a couple of months ago:
STA75080 minus only a chassis & tender, web.jpg
It's actually in all-over grey primer now, with all joints and defects made good.
Next task is to do a quicker / simpler job on another B1 body to make just the cab/boiler/saddle for an O4/8

IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

Now that is a sight....
As for the new Bachy beastie?
If there are issues I'm sure that they can be corrected with thought and application.
If the only thing we are getting seen as a problem is this cylinder angle issue then we should be pleased.
Yes it would have been nice to have had it correct to start with but if furtlement is needed then fine.
Maybe some trailblazer is already at work on this, who knows.
I'm just happy that the O4 has appeared and seems pretty decent.
Now lets have a D11 or J10 - to dream perchance? :lol:
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

photo's of the production model are now on rails and hattons website
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

The postman has just delivered my 63601, and it is very well detailed model. However, the slide bars are angled downwards and looking at photos of the 12 inch to the foot version on the GCR (which has nothing like that angle) it is rather strange that the model has, assuming precise measurements were taken from the real locomotive.

Having said that, I can live with it and a little judicious weathering should make everything stand out less.

John
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
mistahjim
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by mistahjim »

Am I correct in thinking the much discussed angle of the slide-bars is a compromise to allow better running or clearances on the model?
What do you get when you cut an avocado into 6.022 x10^23 pieces?

Guacamole.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

mistahjim wrote:Am I correct in thinking the much discussed angle of the slide-bars is a compromise to allow better running or clearances on the model?
You are probably right.

I need half a dozen of them really for my Notts coalfield layout, but with the K3 on the fish train and soon an L1 with a non-corridor stopper I shall be a happy (but bankrupt) bunny.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I understand that whilst use of packing to change the tilt of the cylinders is not likely to be a problem, there is a bit of a challenge for those who'd like to correct the funny angle, as the tails of the slidebars are located in slots/holes moulded in the back of the combined steps/slidebar bracket, and the steps are at the right height.
This is perhaps less of a problem if you are intent upon putting the loco back into "original" pre-group / early group condition with its proper steps amidships and only the fuctional part of the slidebar bracket plus a minimal foothold at the rear of the slidebars, 'cos you'll presumably be chucking the offending part of the steps-moulding away anyway!

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Dodgy cylinder/slidebar angle or not, I laid my hands on the LNER liveried version today and it's a beautifully detailed superb runner, albeit also blighted with ridiculously "elbowed" connecting rods as seen in plan view :shock: and pony truck too far forward. Nothing will be altered at this stage, as my priority will be to test fit my O1 body, and then have the cab and boiler off the O4 running plate to substitute (reversibly) the O4/8 cab and boiler currently coming along nicely on my bench :)

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

As noted on the thread above already there are at least 8 O4s being offered on ebay for around £100 plus P+P.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

£98.50 from my nearby rural model shop, with chance to inspect and see running before purchase, and no packing/postage to pay :) . I bet they won't be as little as that from the nearer urban merchant however, he is decidedly less generous to his customers. But who in their right mind would pay £125?