BACHMANN ANNOUNCE O4

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: BACHMANN ANNOUNCE O4

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Bill Bedford wrote:
earlswood nob wrote:If I keep the O4 footplate & chassis and add a Hornby B17 boiler, I might get something resembling an O4/7. This would leave the O4 ROD boiler needing a new (straight) footplate for conversion to a S1.
Now to order the Isinglass drawings.
You might be able to make a O4/8 that way but an O4/7 had a smokebox without a saddle
Bill / Malcolm,

I wondered if you already realised that the raw Hornby B17 boiler moulding, available as a cheap spare, comes without a smokebox anyway, and its front ring is longer than that of the Bachmann version of the B1 boiler? Whether you consider that good or bad for O4/5 or O4/7 purposes, you'd also have to contend with removal of a moulded on ejector pipe, plus moulded on splashers / wheel recesses, four of which cut into the reverse-curve of the lower firebox sides making any filler that bit more awkward to file and sand smooth.

Graeme
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning Graeme
Thanks for the info. I did look at the RCTS Vols 2B & 6B last night and spotted the pipe along the boiler side. The domes looked diferent as well. The spasher recesses sound more difficult, but perhaps not unsurmountable.
As you say the body moulding is cheap so I won't loose much by trying.
Your latest posting about O4 boiler used has woken me up to the fact that I have two whitemetal B4 kits to build. One I intend building as a B4 and the other as either a B9 (boiler/firebox would need shortening) or an Atlantic (splasher/cabside would need modifying).
If only there were more hours in the day.
So much to do and so little time to do it.

Earlswood Nob
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

In my childs memory bank lay a B4 4-6-0 so I must have seen one, probably at Guide Bridge or Dukinfield. This memory was what prompted me to make it my first model built from the then new Plastikard in the very early 1960s, mounted on a Triang B12 chassis if I remember correctly.

Regarding a boiler for the 04 conversions, I feel it would be far simpler to roll one from plastikard than messing around with a B17 or whatever boiler.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

After separating and modifying the B1 boilers to suit O1 and O4/8 I must agree that starting from a plain tube and detailing that up would be just as easy, and certainly easiest for the 04/4, /5, /6, /7 options. As I could use the B1 cab, the safety valves, the whistle, the smokebox front, and in one case the (altered) chimney plus two thirds of the running plate and its fittings, I decided I might as well use the boiler too. Marginally better than throwing it away......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Hello to all LNER fans
I stand in awe of someone who remembers a B4.
I can just remember the introduction of 08 diesel shunters (then 13xxx) to replace the SR E4's at Redhill, and a footplate ride on 76053 in 54/55 (only from the shed to the turntable and back), but enough to give me crowing rights at school. LBSCR Beachy Head passed through in 56 just before its withdrawal. The 6pm Cannon street up the Tonbridge line with often a King Arthur pulling it. Saturdays gave us Battlers on the Birkenhead, and the old Wainwright class D often on the Guildford/Reading service.
Ah what memories and no wonder I was hooked.
Earlswood Nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I wish I could remember at least some main line steam with certainty. East Lincolnshire didn't offer much for one who was still largely in his push-chair until 1966ish. I suppose that's why I model pre-1939 on my own layout rather than the "fashionable" 50s/60s, lack of memories of that earlier period being no additional disadvantage.
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobyB
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by TobyB »

Imagine what it is like when your earliest railway memories are of preserved railways only - with Swallow Livery the main BR alternative!

Still more freedom to run whatever and whenever... :mrgreen:
Hucknall Central
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Hucknall Central »

If this thread IS wandering off down memory lane, I can bring it back to the main topic by saying that I can remember 04s pulling long trains of "empties" back to the Yorkshire coalfields up the long incline towards Woodhead Tunnel, and also the loaded coal trains coasting in the oposite direction, coupling rods clanking, the crews glad of the fresh air after the arduous journey through the tunnel, no doubt, after having to lie on the cab floor.
This spectacle was seen from the car park of "The George & Dragon" pub, long gone, across the reservoirs in the Longdendale Valley. As a boy I lived in Stalybridge (LMR), but Guide Bridge was only a bike-ride away. Now those ARE memories........
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I've now sorted out some of the details that were missing from the O4/8 in previous pictures, such as smokebox door sealing ring, top edges of saddle, boiler handrails, reversing rod and support bracket, restoration of cab rear edge beading and handrails. Still no primer or paint but the effect is improved and I have some slightly better pictures that I may have time to post later.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

In order to minimise tedious and untidy repetition, I've posted the better images of my more complete O4/8 in place of the poorer ones that previously appeared on the preceding page of this section.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Good make over by Tony Wright in this months BRM
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'll look forward to reading Tony Wright's makeoever of the O4.

AS FURTHER REFERENCE TO THE O1 AND O4/8 CONVERSIONS THAT I'VE BEEN DOING REALLY AMOUNTS TO THE TIDYING UP OF DETAILS RATHER THAN ILLUSTRATING THE POTENTIAL FOR BACHMANN O4 CONVERSIONS, IT SEEMS REASONABLY LOGICAL TO ME TO TRANSFER THEIR "STORY" FROM HERE ONWARDS ONTO MY OWN MAIN MODELLING PAGES, STARTING WITH
loco-workbench-b2-p1-w1-a3-o2-3-p10-p2- ... 3s360.html

That should leave this thread free to revert entirely to comment upon the Bachmann factory product.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm pretty sure that Tony Wright's August BRM revised tender top falls short of the true GC pattern by a significant margin...

IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

Tis a bit naff to my eye as well...
Perhaps its best to change the beast to an ROD 04/3?
He even mentions doing that in the article so hey....
It appears that they have followed the "lines" of the living,existing O4 to the letter - even if it is actually wrong for much of what people want to model?
Why do the manufacturers score these own goals?
This O4 is so close and yet.......... Bit like the Hornby Gresleys??? :?
Still getting several mind and then seeing what accrues with regards as improving them.
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Working from drawings that I have every reason to trust (including Beyer-Peacock Works items) I'm having a go at producing a "master" for the water-filler/water-pick-up boxes that sit on the rear of the GC 4000 gal tenders so that I can then (with luck) cast some resin copies to speed up and simplify the process of conversion. If I succeed then I'll make them available to others.

In the meantime, I've had some comment from my acquaintance in Australia, Andrew Emmett, who has been looking more closely at his new O4 while I've been interfering with mine.
He points out a few features that are wrong for LNER era and earlier locos: Modern chequer plating on the frame tops in front of the smokebox where there was originally just smooth plate and bolt-heads, the line of six VERY prominent bolt heads missing from each side of the top edges of those frames (still there on most locos in BR era too I believe), and top lamp iron position dubious. Stepped-case buffers are generally a later period only feature too. He also questions the thickness of the chimney rim, and points out that the wide platform above the cylinders continues too far towards the rear of the loco, which I belive is wrong for all O4s in all eras.
So what do we all reckon?
STA75612 O4 front, chq plate, lamp iron, 6 bolts, chim rim.jpg