Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Resin V2 continues, ore hoppers appear

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thus:
STA79340.jpg
I did a bit of thinking about those very slender lengths of angle that support the hopper sides, having had to use very thin-walled brass in order to get the required size of angle. I envisaged that when it came to trying to cast copies in resin, the liquid resin might show great reluctance to track through the narrow passages in the mould, and even it did flow right through the resultant piece might be incredible fragile. As only the outer faces of those pieces of angle are readily visible, I've beefed them up a little by filling the "groove" on the hidden side with a strip of plastic of triangular cross-section. The one visible edge in each case that should appear thin thus remains thin, but the resin casting should be easier to make and stronger than it otherwise would have been. I hope the theory works. With the supports for the other side and end of the hopper now added, it is time for some brake gear. I have the basics of a plan for that too......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

After fathoming out how to cut it up, how to alter it, how to put it back together and where to attach it all so that it looks more or less right and so I can produce viable moulds and castings, here's some recycled brake gear temporarily attached, to one side of the wagon at any rate.
STA79341 Now with brakes one side.jpg
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 45568 »

Will you be prepared to offer these to the masses as well, even to those of us in the land of Oz?
Cheers,
Peter C.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I hadn't made any definite plans in that respect, as I need to firstly make some for myself, probably some more for 4479's Grantham project, and a few for the Appleby-Frodingham Railway Preservation Society as thanks for access to the surviving wagon, but if the mould remains viable and I have time to do the castings then there's no reason why you can't have some. It would appear you've put your name at the top of any list that might develop.

D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

I didnt like to presume Grahame, but could I be second to top please? Obviously happy to chip something in if it's required :)
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 45568 »

Thank you Graeme, I shall watch with interest!
Cheers,
Peter C.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Yes Ian - I'm flattered!

D2100

Post by D2100 »

Thanks, Grahame 8)
Ian Fleming

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'll be attempting to demonstrate, or to actually achieve, a bit of model making at Cleethorpes Exhibition this weekend. I'll endeavour to have with me a representative selection of the items that have appeared in these pages. Come and say hello, or something more offensive if you prefer. If there's anything in particular that somebody wants me to have on hand, please let me know before the middle of Friday evening.

Cake quality, fortunately, has not been a problem at Cleethorpes in previous years :wink:

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

In contrast to the sensation of standing next to the real wagon, the scale model of the Appleby-Frodingham ore hopper is actually quite modest in size compared to an RCH 1923 pattern 7 plank mineral, emphasiszing the density of iron ore, the hopper being rated at 20 tons against the 12 ton coal rating of the standard mineral wagon.
STA79345.JPG

LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Indeed. A fact well illustrated by this pic methinks. Wagons 3 & 4 appear to be marginally smaller than the peak-ended example (wagon 2) (Pic from Dave F's thread on RMWeb)
Iron ore train 1952.jpg
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
D2100

Post by D2100 »

LNER4479 wrote:Indeed. A fact well illustrated by this pic methinks. Wagons 3 & 4 appear to be marginally smaller than the peak-ended example
Those look like LMS-built examples - also 20T rated, IIRC. Behind them are two of another fairly common PO design (a 22 tonner), and one of the better known Chas Roberts 22 tonners (later 24T). Plus a few 16T minerals, possibly MoT ones branded for ore traffic as some were around the time of Nationalisation.
Ian Fleming

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Like Mick B, I have an A2/3 conversion on the go at present, but you've seen plenty of those in my previous pages so I won't put up blow-by-blow pictures. I also have the moulds to make for that App-Frod ore hopper. Browsing elsewhere however, I noted a squabble about the fact that Bachmann are NOT going to introduce a particular loco, and that reminded me of some preliminary thinking I'd done a while ago. I therefore did a little more work on my idea, then posted this text on RMweb a couple of days ago:
"I'm not promising anything, but merely wondering: Since there has been so much "fuss" about the unavailability of a RTR Q6, would those clamouring for same go for the option of a simple resin body kit with sharp, clean surface finish (possibly around the £50 mark) for loco and for the superstructure of the 3940 gallon tender coupled to the first batch, both capable of being fitted to "nearly correct" RTR underpinnings that would need only minor modifications. The loco would have the correct size of coupled wheels, wheelbase no more than 1mm out, outside cylinders and rods of a pretty similar pattern to the true Q6 so no mods needed there. No cutting of the chassis block would be required, although it might be necessary to move some parts of the wiring loom to fit within the boiler, but probably without the need for cutting and soldering. The tender would appear to have frames with D shaped cut outs resembling the true NE style but the axlebox details would be wrong unless the builder chose to change them, or to substitute something like a Dave Alexander (gluable whitemetal) or Arthur Kimber (etched brass) tender kit. The idea of going for a 3940 gallon tender body to fit an existing underframe is that it would allow the chassis donor's in-built DCC option to remain."

I'm not too surprised that despite all the fuss over there about the unavailability of a Q6 straight out of the box, only 5 people at most have shown potential interest in an easy kit for such a loco. Well just in case anybody else on here wants to add ideas, here are a couple of (poor) photographs to illustrate the potential suitability of the chassis I had in mind. As I said above, no promises...
STA79353w.jpg
STA79352.JPG

ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ten ten »

Certain there should be interest in this idea from the many appeals for the class being RTR. Brings back memories of my using an O4 chassis with a B17 boiler for a Q6.Certainly I needed to acquire Graeme"s skills!! The motor only just fitted within the firebox width,and I had to reposition the capacitator gubbins from motor top to motor rear- just enough space in the boiler backplate. I did toy with rebuilding the GC tender, but decided to use it for a D49,and use one of Arthur's kits. If I may make a suggestion,the smokebox door be made a separate unit,which permit either the smaller "Darlington" door or the larger "Doncaster"door of later years- which reminds to fit your B1 door to my effort .
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by 2006 »

Looks very promising Graeme, I'd definitely be interested in one

Anthony