Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's lunacy, inc. RTRconversions - "Resin W" (not

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Having got very close to finishing the body for my latest streamliner project, but having had to pause on account of a lack of forward planning in the lining transfers department (ahem, :oops: ), I've been having a dabble with something else this evening.

I dismantled Butler-Henderson and set about doing something to alleviate the problem of frame width below the running plate, above the bogie. Firstly, four slices with the mini-drill and cutting disc removed about 1.5 to 2mm from each face of the central block. I took care to avoid catching any other areas of the running plate in the process, and paused frequently to let the metal cool so as not to blister paint, melt plastic fittings or burn my delicate little fingers.......
STA78270.JPG
I then trimmed the fitting lugs from the tops of the frame extension overlays and for the time being I've fitted these using Evostick. They fit VERY close to the wheel flanges but now, I believe, look a little better than they otherwise would have done, being just about in line with the flanges when the loco is "straight", rather than shrouding the wheel treads.
STA78271.JPG
Trial running will now reveal whether I have to trim the frame extensions for adequate wheel clearance. Fitting the guard irons will be another challenge in due course. I doubt if they can be fitted far enough forward to clear the wheels, as supplied. It may be necessary to notch the upper front corner of each iron so that the front edge of the iron fits nearly flush with the front face of the buffer beam. This will mean that the "pip and hole" fitting for each guard iron is no longer useable. Of course, if the front buffer beam were of typical etched thickness rather than of cast thickness, the true-shape guard irons would probably fit without bother. Alternatively, Bachmann could have made them suitably notched so that they would fit .......
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I'm surprised it took you this long to have her in bits :wink: :lol:
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good mornin' all
I'm waiting until it transforms into a D10.
Earlswood Nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Had it in bits a couple of weeks ago to make an appraisal - that's what gave rise to the comments about an alternative cab in resin.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm now prepared to reveal just a little of what's been quietly going on at my workbench in recent weeks (one or two of you possibly guessed anyway), the reasons for the lack of news so far on this front being shortage of time plus a promise to submit the "full account" for initial presentation "through other channels". However, even if this project is still not complete in terms of final varnish and weathering, cab sight screens, correct tender, refitted lubricators, and a chassis with wheels in the right colour (and gauge, because this one is to be EM) here's evidence that the resin components for the W1 do produce a decent result and at the cost of far less fitting and fettling work than is involved in the adaptation / blending-in of Finecast parts plus a home-brewed firebox extension. The pictures probably also show that I ought to remove the dust before taking brightly lit shots!
STA78274 lined cab close up w.jpg

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Wow Mr King, that looks amazing! 8)

But, I can see the joint! Only joking! :lol:

So whats next in the loco pile?
Steve
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

OOps I should read your text not speed read!
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Isn't that EMps?

auldreekie
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Graeme
Very quiet here !!

Has the A2/1 build been covered on here ? or is it similar to the A2/3 and or A1/1 ?

Seasons Greetings
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hi Mick

Yes, my thread is well overdue for an update! I may manage something this weekend, at long last. The only stuff I've done to illustrate how the A2/1 could be done is in bits and pieces:

1) A Hornby A1/A3 body (the latter probably being the better starting point) chopped around to early A2/2 guise (about 3 months ago?) with splashers removed, new (A1/1) smokebox, A2/3 front running plate piece, new V-fronted cab and some plastikard fill-in bits. The A2/1 would be identical up to that point but with the cab further forward.

2) The A2/3 chassis conversion method with which you are familiar, but the A2/1 uses a different motion bracket off the same etch.

3) A picture of a simple alternative truck to carry an A2 rear axle, which would almost certainly have to replace Bachmann's inner "Cartazzi" arrangements in order to allow you to get rid of the cast lumps above the rear of the running plate in order to fit the new V-cab.

You'd have to add to that your own preferrred method of shortening or replacing the outside frames at the rear of the Bachmann A2 chassis, and decide whether to remove the extra pair of ventilators from the cab roof.

Festive felicitations to you too.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I promised to crawl out from under my stone to give an actual modelling update this weekend, so here we have it. I may also be able to add later a preview image of the finished W1 if the owner gives consent, but the full story is destined to appear first elsewhere.

Bachmann Butler Henderson

Although I hadn't done it when I took the following pictures, I've now given the add-on frame pieces on Butler Henderson a light trim to get flange clearances on curved track. It now runs beautifully so I can tackle the guard irons and other twiddly bits. I took these pictures to show how the Bachmann product compares with a slightly upgraded Little Engines D10 kit-build.
Directors overall.jpg
Seen from this angle there's not an awful lot to choose between the two classes. We can see that the cabs differ, and the front plates/tool boxes in the tenders.

Directors LHS.jpg
Above, the differences really start to show up. My D10 is modelled with later, lower chimney and dome anyway (the later not being a brilliant casting!) but you can also see there's that difference in frame-top profile below the boiler, ahead of the splashers. Just as on the Bachmann O4/ROD tender, the coping plates start further back on the D10s "older standard" GC tender too. Butler Henderson's self-trimming tender is NOT inherited direct from the O4 model as has been wrongly implied in some magazine reviews.

Directors faces.jpg
On comparing the "faces", the detailed-up whitemetal kit job doesn't lose out too badly at all compared to the wonder of modern technology.

Directors tenders & cab fittings.jpg
This view helps to emphasize the fact that the GC self trimming tender of the D11 doesn't just have different "innards" compared to the earlier type. It is WIDER. My tender has the true GC style fork at the front left corner to support the fire irons. I don't know why Butler-Henderson's tender has a "crucifix" in the same position. Bachmann's model clearly wins hands-down regarding backhead detailing, and I suspect it has the truer interpretation of the cab roof curvature too.

I've not yet dared to test B-H for ultimate load hauling ability. I doubt it will match the slogging ability of my heavy, compensated, Mashima powered D10 but it certainly kept its feet with eight Gresley corridors behind the tender, mainly modified RTR but including a brass full brake and a Hornby coach with new brass sides.

Hornby B17 Sandringham

At last I've given this a decent test run. It runs nicely at low speed, starts and stops as it ought, although I don't think it is quite as slick as the pacifics. Is it a good idea for Hornby to "downgrade" back to three-pole motors, albeit with flywheels? The same eight coaches that I used with Butler Henderson were certainly no problem for Sandringham, and it lapped my layout at a steady 70mph top speed with this load. More realistically restrained than Butler Henderson's blistering top speed?

I'm a bit less happy about the shade of "LNER" green on Sandringham, given that the BR green on the other B17s has been praised by some for its improved "warmth" and likeness to the real thing. Comparison with other locos shows that Sandringham's green is definitely darker thatn the colour on Flying Fox, which I thought to be an improvement on past Hornby renditions (lighter and warmer than it had been, even if still not like the versions in the Precision or Railmatch ranges or anything on Bachmann's LNER locos). Sandringham's darker, bluer green seems to hark back to the Margate versions of the eighties, as per the old tender-drive B17s, D49s and Gresley A1s. I imagine some weathering witha buff colour would help to tone it in, but that's no good if you want to keep the loco pristine.....

Speaking of the old tender drive model, here's how Sandringham compares with one that I detailed up, re-christened and treated to some more complete lining, but the paintwork is original save for weathering. I didn't think (and still don't think) that the original BODY was at all bad, even with its "archaic" and now apparently "unacceptable" moulded-on pipes and cab handrails. Are they really that hideous when a decent livery is applied? The old chassis and tender clearly don't measure up at all by modern standards. I have however been wondering about a cheap-ish chassis upgrade to keep "The Mighty Mariners" fit for use in modern traffic - say Comet frames, Hornby A1/A3 lined green wheels and valve gear from the same source? Nice proper 12 spoke bogie wheels on the new model...
B17s overall.JPG
B17s LHS.jpg
The new chimney shape is miles better than the old. But what do we all reckon about the dome. I though the Margate D49/B17 dome was rather a good shape for many LNER applications - although it isn't seated quite as nicely as it ought to be on my older B17 model by the look of it.
B17s fittings profiles.jpg
B17s faces.jpg
The "piano fronts" are modelled slightly differently, and as Simon pointed out the Hornby price these days doesn't seem to cover buffer beam black/white edging.
B17s cabs.jpg
The separate fittings on the new cab are lovely, but could the pedant argue that some of the fine details are inevitably a little over-scale, just as Hornby's older boiler handrails and knobs were in their day?

I'm not criticising the details on the new model, merely illustrating my resons for saying that the old one wasn't actually too bad.

Sorry if this post was originally displaying with baffling and pointless repetition of the same images of the B17s. If so I don't know if that was my error or one of the "wonders" of imageshack!
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Lovely comparisons :)

Will your D11 go around Hornby 2nd radius curves and through 2nd radius points?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Regret I have no idea - no such track in a useable condition here at present.

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

ok, just wondering as I might the mod to my 506 if I can't stand the lack of those frame plates
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Firstly, Merry Christmas Graeme.

I'm surprised by how well the older B17 stands up against the newer one. It's something of a surprise the older one hasn't been put into the Railroad range (given the Patriot shares the same 4-6-0 chassis and the tender is already behind the re-released D49).

I do think the new one is a stage above in terms of finesse. The rivet detail, and overall fineness of many of the mouldings put it into that category.

As far as the colour goes, I'm not hugely happy about it myself. It doesn't match the Railmatch shade of apple green at all. I am sure my intended to be medium weathered B17 will look the part, but the core green colour just doesn't look as good as that on, for example, the recent Bachmann A2 or collector's club D11. Not enough yellow and too much blue.

I'm reliably told, mind, that Hornby's colour would be a good match for a Darlington built locomotive, but not a Doncaster one or those built elsewhere and painted to the Doncaster paint spec. Swings and roundabouts perhaps.