Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Atlantic's works inc. RTRconversions. Cock o' the South?

Post by auldreekie »

Wrong number of drivers for Cock o' the South. How was it done? (Prime candidate for a 3D print?)

auldreekie
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Bill Bedford wrote:Interesting, but I have a feeling that it was more likely to have looked look this…..
A telescopic locomotive! Ideal at shock absorption in traffic collisions or in over-runs at terminus stations. Easy to accommodate on small turntables too. And we have no need to debate / argue about where the middle cylinder would be, and whether there is space for it - it's location is plain to see.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Interesting, with whats left over, will you be building a Bullied Atlantic 'Spamcan' !!!!!!!!! :twisted:

manna
Funny enough manna OVSB did tinker with streamlining a Schools or King Arthur cant remember which one.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Postman Prat

Post by Postman Prat »

manna[/quote]
Funny enough manna OVSB did tinker with streamlining a Schools or King Arthur cant remember which one.[/quote]

It was a 'Schools', it is uncertain which one, although 935 Sevenoaks comes up as favorite. The casing was plywood and the loco did several trial runs around the works yard. On the Sunday morning an Eastleigh-Basingstoke test run took place but this was terminated at Micheldever because of severe vibration of the casing - according to some sources the casing was actually breaking up!!
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well upon my soul whilst looking at my free copy of MRJ 222 in Smiths this lunchtime......guess whot.

Another article by Sir King himself on a W1 for Retford, no less.

Well done, you will need a forum all to yourself soon ;)
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I'm still wondering what's gonna happen with this proposed A4 conversion. Personally I think it's something involving a new Hornby B17 or a Bacchy A1 ;)
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

My money's on a Bugatti-nosed conversion of a RailRoad P2 using O2 valve gear, or somesuch...
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Peppercorns Christmas Card?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Just like Sir Francis Urquhart, I couldn't possibly comment.........
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

Or take the 5th :wink:
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Surely that's only for Septics?

(Rhymes with septic tank if you need a clue)

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Clearly this one isn't the secret streamliner project, but this piece of Tom-foolery is coming along nicely, after many fraught moments whilst trying to add colours to Railmatch "Malachite" in order to get something less like lime green and more like Hornby's shade. Putting the fairly thick lining on using a pen was certainly no picnic either and I've managed only one side so far. The rods are borrowed from a Finecast A2 etch, which includes both articulated and solid rods for you to either use as they come or laminate up into something meatier. It was just as well that there were plenty of sections available, as with the slidebars in the current "wrong" position for a 2-8-2 even Morgan's etched Thompson A2 con-rods are too long, so I've used another piece of coupling rod as a rudimentary con-rod. I'm not moving the slidebars or wasting time on anything more exotic unless I get the ridiculous urge to motorise this animal. I know the Airfix body details are heavy/incomplete/wrong in places, and I know that for the Southern period I should have removed the smokebox door No plate, added a piece of casing ahead of the cylinders and probably fitted full cab-sides with no cut-back for angled spectacles, but I repeat the point that this loco is a bit of light-hearted model making. I suppose I should have based the loco on an MN rather than a BB too, but why would I do that when I've had the BB kit maturing for over twelve years and only paid a few pounds for it back then. With luck I'll get more done tomorrow.
Painted, lined and with rods.JPG

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

That's a rather handsome beast. This 2-8-2 version by Bulleid would have had caprotti rather than the chain driven valve gear if memory serves.

Nice work Graeme. I will get your photographs for you tomorrow morning.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I managed to find time to put the lining on the other side of the Bulleid fantasy last night, whilst watching a re-run of Hunt for Red Oktober. I also created and printed up (just on plain paper) some identification marks which are now temporarily tacked to the loco by means of a spot or two of glue-stick. The name was kindly suggested by a genmtleman of the fair City of Perth - the Scottish one that is.
STA78615 with temp id.jpg
Has anybody else watched any of the current re-runs (on "Blighty"?) of Dibnah waffling on about steam locos and preserved railways - often having almost identical conversations with the same person in two successive scenes but simply in slightly different locations? I found that if I ignored the commentary it was relaxing just to watch the trains.....
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Fri May 03, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A quote from Mr Dibnah

"Did ya like that" :D

much missed by me at least !!