Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Atlantic's works: A station building

Post by Chas Levin »

Absolutely fabulous looking! :D
Chas
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I have to agree with Chas, lovely bit of modelling. Big thumbs up. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Detailing all done now, I believe (and hope). Needs dusting and a further sealing clear coat in one or two places. Don't look too closely for disguised errors in the flashing :x . Auction websites turn out to be very useful for images of GNR clocks, and GNR "gentlemen" signs...
IMG_20230503_150050.jpg
IMG_20230503_150116.jpg
IMG_20230503_150138.jpg
IMG_20230503_150150.jpg
IMG_20230503_150525.jpg
IMG_20230503_150506.jpg
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Great modeling Graeme. Good to see you attempted to model the flashings, it's a detail many do not do, and
the lack of it stands out like a sore thumb. Well done.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Many thanks Dave. If the flasings meet with the approval of an experienced architectural draughtsman, that makes worthwhile the considerable time and effort involved in hand cutting them (to match the roof slope and the brick courses), fitting them, belatedly discovering big mistakes, and then correcting / concealing those errors. I can think of easier and perhaps happier ways to spend a day and a half...

I hope the "mortar" flaunching / haunching of the chimney stack crownwork looks okay. I suspect it should perhaps have been a little thinner, but I didn't fancy trying to file it down any further while simultaneously trying to preserve the smooth run-off profile. I might re-paint it in a greyer tone though...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

PS: Although modelled on reality, it did cross my mind that for somebody newly arrived from a wholly different culture (rare perhaps in pre-1950 Britain, and very rare in 1870), the three (fire) buckets and a tap immediately below the "Gentlemen" sign might have been a touch confusing :lol: .

It could even have left some of the residents of the most isolated parts of the Wolds in some doubt about the intended procedure...

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:15 am PS: Although modelled on reality, it did cross my mind that for somebody newly arrived from a wholly different culture (rare perhaps in pre-1950 Britain, and very rare in 1870), the three (fire) buckets and a tap immediately below the "Gentlemen" sign might have been a touch confusing :lol: .

It could even have left some of the residents of the most isolated parts of the Wolds in some doubt about the intended procedure...
Oh dear... that would never had occurred to me but now you've made the suggestion, I can't 'un-see' it! :lol:
Chas
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

All but three months later...

After extracting the three central scenic boards (created so as to fit in with my loft layout as well as eventually occupying centre-stage in my attempt at a portable layout) I was able to get on with the beginnings of the additional outer two scenic boards that will complete the "viewing side". As the earlier three boards form a curved whole, with no line of symmetry, I had to take some care with the shaping of the outer two boards. I wanted their shapes to be almost mirror-images of one another, so that they could be packed top-to-top for transportation. I also wanted them both to bring the overall curve of the layout round to exactly 90 degrees to its front, ready to join up later to some simple, symmetrical fiddle-yard boards. My original one-eighth scale plan indicated that it could be done, but getting it right full-size involved a fair amount of preliminary production of templates on spare wallpaper, then trial, error and adjustment in wooden form.

Anyway, having made those two boards, laid and ballasted track on them, made provision for wiring up, created some basic land-form and added (in basic mock-up form) a couple of road bridges and twin tunnel portals, I became keen to find out whether the layout would actually work in roundy-roundy form. I couldn't provide the intended final form of the fiddle yard immediately, as that would have involved building four more curved boards, shortening two straight ones previously used on another project, laying a load of track properly (twelve roads in all, including twenty suitably custom-curved points, with remote control), wiring up, and so on. I realised that Instead of embarking on all that work before getting any proof of the viability of what I'd already built, I could fairly quickly create a temporary "slimline" version of the final layout, using two existing straight baseboards unaltered, a couple of pieces of plywood sheet with simple bracing added, eight manually controlled points and no additional wiring. This narrow version of the layout would also fit in our single garage for the necessary trial running sessions too. It had to be done, so some quick basic woodwork and track laying followed...

In consequence of the very unpredictable weather of late, I briefly took over one room of our house this morning so that I could test-assemble the slim-line layout, simply to demonstrate at this stage that all of the boards will actually join up as intended, so that I can now complete the track where the fiddle yard approach curves (currently undesirable 2 foot radii) have to meet up with the scenic sections.

The rough, temporary, slimline fiddle yard:
IMG_20230725_190051.jpg
Setting out ready for action, after evicting a couple of armchairs. Madame out shopping.
IMG_20230727_111722.jpg
It all fits!
IMG_20230727_123216.jpg
A slightly different view - as far back as I could stand without dematerialising to pass through the wall...
IMG_20230727_123251.jpg
View from the other end, only possible looking in through the window, hence poorer image.
IMG_20230727_135344.jpg
Creature comforts reinstated.
IMG_20230727_153739.jpg
Stowed, pending the completion of the missing track-ends and a suitable opportunity to reassemble and do some serious test running, in the garage if necessary, while the "Summer" lasts.
IMG_20230727_153817.jpg

Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

I'm in!!!

Looks like it's gunna be a fun play factor, now you just need to send swmbo on a weekend shopping trip and move those arm chairs again!

Please keep sharing as you progress
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

I don't see why it has to be temporary: from those photos, it looks to me like people can still sit on the sofa, can't they? You'd need to pass them their tea and food of course, as they can't lean forward. And you'd probably need to use the TV remote control for them... and possibly describe what's on the screen... but apart from that, it looks like a good arrangement to me.

Might try something similar... :wink:
Chas
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I established that, even better than sitting on the settee and receiving only a description of what was on the TV screen, one could sit on the floor leaning back against the settee and see almost all of the screen. It seemed fine to me. Others' views were not obtained.

Brian: I'll endeavour to keep you posted if a trial running session looks likely.

Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Wish I lived near you 3279, I would be round whenever required to help with whatever you were working on.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Once again, it has been a long time since I updated this topic. Owing to continued emphasis on making best use of decent weather for necessary outdoor jobs or recreation, I have not made hugely impressive amounts of visible progress on the new portable layout, but one or two things have managed to happen.
In mid-August, over a few days of steadily dry weather which allowed other items to stand outdoors, I was able to set the layout up in the garage, sufficiently complete to allow simultaneous operation of up and down lines, and to provide the opportunity for one or two invited eagle-eyed observers to scrutinise work so far.
Fortunately, nothing disastrous was identified. In fact the layout has picked up a provisional invitation to a local event in May 2025, so I'd better address myself to the necessary remaining work!
IMG_20230817_171938.jpg
IMG_20230817_171835.jpg
Since August, apart from testing out on a piece of spare board the proposed layout of some of the pointwork on the curved approach to the planned "proper" bigger fiddle yard, and confirming the viability of the plan, efforts when time allowed have been directed at completion of two road overbridges. The first of these, a somewhat modified Metcalfe card kit, will provide the scenic break at one end of the viewable portion of the layout. Previously I had assembled only the basics of one face of this bridge in temporary form. It is virtually complete now, although currently, the intended grass areas at this end, including those on the bridge itself, are only "sketched in" with green paint. The narrow lane meandering over a bridge wide enough for road that would allow two vehicles to pass may seem a bit odd, but this is faithfully based on a similar bridge at the location that has inspired this model.
IMG_20231015_111932.jpg
IMG_20231015_111947.jpg
The second bridge, at the Eastern end of the station, previously only a grey card mock up, has now been constructed from scratch, one and a half times, mainly from Wills dressed stone sheets and plain plasticard, some recurring components produced in multiple as cast resin copies of single master parts. A full model for the "showable" version of the layout, and a half-relief version (little more than one face of the bridge) for use when the shortened front of the layout is linked to my loft layout, were both needed, hence "one and a half" models. This bridge again is based in part on one that existed at the real location that I've adopted and adapted. The next two images show the unpainted full model tested in position.
IMG_20231015_111411.jpg
IMG_20231015_111523.jpg
Here's the half version, after a base coat of Humbrol 121 "pale stone"
IMG_20231015_203050.jpg

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Looking great Graeme. I'm hoping to come to UK in 2024 so might be able to see your further progress in the flesh.
Andrew
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You'd be most welcome Andrew. You've been before so you know the way...