Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Atlantic's works inc. RTRconversions. More brake vans..

Post by auldreekie »

Ouch!

auldreekie
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works inc. RTRconversions. More brake vans..

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Didn't hurt a bit - though it nearly did when the Stanley knife slipped a bit and made a (thankfully bloodless) slice in the pad of one of my fingers.

A bit more is now done. The tender is built, exactly as per the kit, in fact most of the loco is done that way too. I know that there are certain discrepancies of detail between the Airfix kit and the real locos at various stages in their lives, plus some rather heavy or "near enough" reperesntation of a number of features, but this is supposed to be a quick, easy, relaxing, amusing job, and since "Cock o' the South" was never built who knows what features would or would ot be "correct". The body extension has been made up flush with the outer surface (car body filler filed and sanded smooth) and the gutters reinstated using plastic strip. I felt that the "Braille" livery guidelines on the sides of the loco and tender would look too odd to leave in place, especially as I want to apply Malachite green with three yellow bands rather than (spit) BR/GWR green with just two lining bands, but I still have more work to do in order to scrape/smooth them back to even, minimal witness lines without destroying rivet detail too. The current unevenness of the remains of these moulded lines doesn't show too badly in the pictures below, but it's a different story with the human eye in daylight!
I have some spare SEF A2 rods that will fit the new coupled wheelbase of this machine quite nicely.
STA78610 first full primer coat.jpg
STA78609 first primer, close up.jpg
Here's a glimpse of the chassis as cut and shut:
STA78611 stretch arrangements.jpg
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Coronach
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Atlantic's works inc. RTRconversions. Cock o' the South?

Post by Coronach »

Gresley; "Oliver, will you please stop putting that odd tobacco in your pipe, it's interfering with your work!"

:?

Dave.
"If they say it's good, we know it's bad; if they say it's bad, we know it's good." - Jimmy Reid.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Are you sure those wheels are RP25?
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all
I guess that the 2-8-2 was designed for the Boat Trains out of Dover up the long climb towards Ashford.

Earlswood Nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote:Are you sure those wheels are RP25?
That's what the man who sold me them said they were - you know him, that chap selling pies who I met on my way to the fair.

As I have no need to buy another of the Airfix kits for any other reason, and as this is at present only an un-powered display model, I'm going to cast a couple of copies of the flangeless wheels in resin so that the loco can be fully wheeled-up on both sides. It has even occurred to me that if I did want to make the loco run, I could buy a couple of six-sets of the cheap Hornby BFB wheels, jig some brass tubes and bearings into the chassis, stiffen the chassis up by filling its inner void(s) with casting resin and lead shot, add a motor/gearbox/pick-ups, put more weight in the ample boiler, and have another fantasy engine to play with. One thing at a time though......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

When is the Riddles rebuilt version coming.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Interesting, with whats left over, will you be building a Bullied Atlantic 'Spamcan' !!!!!!!!! :twisted:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Coronach wrote:Gresley; "Oliver, will you please stop putting that odd tobacco in your pipe, it's interfering with your work!"

:?

Dave.

Could do with some of that stuff for work... it'd make the day fly by.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

I can put you intouch with....ooops..... shut up Jim!!!!! :shock: :lol:
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You certainly seem to know some interesting people Jim :wink:

jukebox
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jukebox »

"Oliver? Edward here. I've got an idea for your big engine..."

If a Thompson rebuild is the answer... the question must have been daft to begin with!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

:shock:

Not while I'm drinking my first cup of tea of the day, please. The screen will wipe clean but how do I get the spray droplets out of the keyboard?

auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Just don't drop your toast and marmalade face down on it - that may require a new keyboard...

I know. I've seen it happen.

auldreekie
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Interesting, but I have a feeling that it was more likely to have looked look this…..
01.JPG