Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Ore hoppers cont'd, P2 chassis mods st

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Not all that clever, surely?

Anyway, this one is now sporting a bit of bling in the form of a nice shiny reversing rod filed up from surplus coupling rods on a partly used etch:
STA79669 small.jpg
While that one continues to ferment slowly I've started a second brew to keep it company:
STA79667 small.jpg
That's a chunk of GBL Mallard at the front, cut a little way aft of the first boiler band to give the correct length for the P2. The Upper slope of the smokebox front has been filed back to give a longer rake, so the chimney "which has also been moved forward a touch) will need restyling to include a longer rear fairing in order to fit. The new black sections of boiler are from pre-curved 20 thou plastic, in three layers. While I was cutting away the top section and re-making it, I thought it would be far less work compared to the filing and scraping on Earl Marischal if I simply cut out the ACFI bulge entirely and re-made that area of the boiler too.
For those who like to scrutinise more closely....
STA79668 bugatti close up.jpg
Not even a hint of filing of the front of the chassis weight has been needed so far.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

You could produce the streamlined P2 as 2005 Thane of Fife with a small chimney.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

One certainly could, although mine is destined to be another Lord President. Having built the A2/2 version it only seems right and proper to show how it should have been.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

The speed & efficiency of your work never fails to amaze me!

Great stuff
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Having frequently been impressed, not to say daunted, by your semi-finished and finished product, that close-up of the early-stage "Lord President" cheered me up no end -- even GK's work can look a bit untidy at this stage in the proceedings. That's not a criticism, by the way -- its a "thank you" for lending some heart to a neophyte. (Not that I shall be taking a scalpel to a P2 in the foreseeable future....).

auldreekie
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Glad you have found encouragement. You should have seen it an hour before I took the picture, when I'd decided that there was an unwanted bulge in the surface layer of plastic and had ripped same off the model ready for trimming, smoothing and re-application! :lol:

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Graeme - I have cast several resin copies of my white metal P2 streamlined chimney if that would be of interest? Happy to donate one to the cause.

I do like your conversions very much and I'm delighted to see a bugatti nosed variant join the Earl.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Most impressive and made to look so simple as always!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The chimney sounds a good offer Simon. Yes please! It will be interesting to see how it fits, how it looks and how it compares to drawings.

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:The chimney sounds a good offer Simon. Yes please! It will be interesting to see how it fits, how it looks and how it compares to drawings.
In which case I will get the mould out tomorrow night and will cast you a couple to send - I think your address is the same as previous so I'll try to pop them in the post on Saturday. From what I can see, they match up to the Isinglass drawings reasonably well.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Tidier now:
STA79681 tidier, small.jpg
STA79681 tidier, small bw.jpg

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Now, I wonder where that nose has come from?

Gives me an idea!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay up!

Now, I wonder where that nose has come from?
Who nose................... :roll:

Flying Fox 34F
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Flying Fox 34F »

Another splendid conversion on the cards. It does beg the question, how did Thompson get authority from the LNER board or the Railway Executive to rebuild them?
Paul 4475
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Flying Fox 34F wrote:Another splendid conversion on the cards. It does beg the question, how did Thompson get authority from the LNER board or the Railway Executive to rebuild them?
Paul 4475
Much writing and discussion on this. Major arguments seem to have been that failures on the road were increasingly problematic in wartime conditions. This also seems to have been one reason why ET was not in favour of transferring them south. (Although it wouldn't have been his decision would it?)
A broken crank axle at one of the ECML bottlenecks would have been very bothersome, but perhaps with Doncaster maintenance rather than Cowlairs that wouldn't have happened.)

(Just to make my views quite clear - I think the decision to re-build was not one of ET's better ones!)

I do like the story (I think in one of Peter Townend's books) of the Shedmaster at Haymarket sending P2s south to Newcastle at night 'when no one could see'!!!!!
They could pull anything up Cockburnspath when a Pacific would have had to be double-headed.

I'm following this and the other P2 threads with interest. I do so want a Bugatti-nosed, double Kylchap, P2 in green. Do you suppose any of them got into County Durham in that condition?