Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Flying Fox 34F
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Atlantic's works: An "A" Engine

Post by Flying Fox 34F »

I have looked up my reference and have discovered that one book refers to the C2x as a Black Motor, then another refers to the 700.
Never mind, either way I prefer the J6

Paul 4475
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Does anybody happen to know the pitch and diameter of the 700 boiler for comparison with the J6? Browsing through a Hornby mag containing a model review last night I noticed that the whole of the 700 boiler bottom is represented by the long "shelf" on the chassis that supports the motor. A full length slot would thus have to be cut into the underside of the J6 boiler in order to go over such a chassis. If the 700 boiler bottom sits lower than that of the J6 the finished appearance won't be ideal. Of course, if levels match it would be very convenient, or if the 700 is higher not to difficult too add some extra material.

This all supposes of course that one wants to spend £100 plus in order to get just a chassis with not quite the right wheelbase or wheel style, possibly with some hope but no certainty of selling on the 700 body and tender to a modeller working in one of the broader 4mm gauges.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I can only remember seeing a class 700 at Feltham over 50 years ago. From what I remember it was a comparable loco to the LBSCR C2X, perhaps a slightly longer boiler. This would be pretty close to a J6.
The 700 had the same boiler as the M7 0-4-4T, so if someone has acess to a M7, they can take the measurements from that.

Earlswood nob
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Boiler pitched at 8ft or 32mm (J6 8ft 6inches 34mm). In 4mm boiler over cladding approx 19.5mm (J6 20.3mm). I make it that the base of the boiler is 1.6mm, or so, lower that the J6.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks, that's useful to know, should anybody in future wish to try out the 700 chassis. Maybe the more adventurous could find a way to alter the motor support? Mind you, that task could come close in technical difficulty to the job of building a basic 0-6-0 chassis, and what if it doesn't quite work out? The chassis might then be unsuitable to go back under the 700. When I'm tinkering with an unproven idea I try to preserve my option to put things back as they were for as long as possible.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

The best option would be (for me) keep the chassis, dump the rest (on E-Bay) it would probably be quicker to build a new body.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The combined lightness and strength of these resin mouldings provided my salvation when I got clumsy yesterday. I'd just finished spraying a nice coat of black onto a GN tender (less wheels and chassis) in the great outdoors when I evidently squeezed the makeshift painting handle (a card tube from the centre of a roll of kitchen paper) a little too firmly and the tender with its soft paint tumbled about five feet down onto the gritty paving slabs! My initial utter horror gave way to a relative sense of relief when I found that the painted flat sides of the tender were unmarked and the damage was confined to the breaking off of one front corner of the moulded coal rails (repairable), buffers shocked out of their holes in the beam (reminding me that I'd only fitted them dry as they were a really good tight fit), plus some bits of grit and a solitary dandelion seed stuck to paint on the top corners / edges of the structure.

All better now. Lesson learned and state of calm restored.

IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

As astounding and stimulating as ever... 8)
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:The combined lightness and strength of these resin mouldings provided my salvation when I got clumsy yesterday.

All better now. Lesson learned and state of calm restored.
Phew :? :o :evil: :wink: :D
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Only a thought or two regarding a possible RTR chassis for a J6 (or a J2) which is however of no use unless you don't mind seeing chassis block under the boiler in lieu of daylight: The Bachmann K3 chassis with ends cut off will just about go in. The balance weights aren't quite right, though vastly better than those on the Hornby K1 wheels, and the wheels of course are half way between J6 size and full J2 size, although they could represent the latter on the limit of tyre wear. The running of the chassis won't please all, but as some with a demand for perfect running are almost giving Bachmann K3 chassis away and fitting something better under the body, use of such a chassis is an option to consider.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I've fallen behind with progress reports on the production of the resin J6. Now where was I? Ah, yes, the chassis. With the bearings stripped out of the master again, small holes sealed with a film of PVA, motor aperture skinned-over with 5 thou plastic and some sellotape used around the edges to seal the structure to the floor of a mouding box, I was able to make another mould in two pieces. Here's the first casting waiting to be released.
STA70045.JPG
After beaking away the flash:
STA70047.JPG

The deep, full diameter dimples for the axle holes provided a good guide for drilling out to suit new bearings, but before opening up to full bearing size I used a couple of straight pieces of aluminium angle and my Perseverence jig axles to check that centres were level and agreed with the rods I'd already made. A little bit of careful corrective work with a small half-round file was needed on one or two of the axle holes before I was happy to ream them out to size.
STA70050.JPG
Here I've jumped ahead somewhat, past the stage of similarly messing around with holes for the gear spindles, checking for free rotation at all stages, then re-assembling as per the original master model. You can see that the running plate has already had one coat of primer after a first round of filling to eliminate those defects that arose from peeling rubber "bleed" away from one part of the mould. Handrails, lamp irons (no top one yet), nearest Markits whistle, basic brake rigging and various other pre-made resin fittings have been added too.
STA70055.JPG
STA70056.JPG
STA70057.JPG
STA70058.JPG
STA70060.JPG
STA70061.JPG
STA70062.JPG
STA70063.JPG
STA70065.JPG

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Just two more to do before the second weekend in September, along with all else. As "Cutler" might say, "no sweat boys"...
STA70077.JPG

davidwest

Post by davidwest »

Absolutely brilliant. Curiously reminds me of a picture of a chocolate train I posted last Christmas
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

davidwest wrote:.... reminds me of a picture of a chocolate train ....
Ah, but which variety will be the most use? And which one will be as much use as a chocolate teapot :?: :lol:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Rum and resin seems favourite so far.

Here's a picture or two showing the loco with most of its paintwork done:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ?p=1989001