2002's 4mm projects - Pacifics +

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Projects-Empire Ex 4472; grey Woodcock; valence surgery!....

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Per Horsetan: "A 1966 P1800 - still running - happens to hold the world record for the largest mileage accumulated under a single owner. Over 2.8 million miles. It has never been restored and is still on the original engine, gearbox, axles and even the radio, apparently. 8) The owner is now aiming to reach 3 million miles."

Yes, that's Irv Gordon who was recently part of the 50th Anniversary celebrations for the P1800 where he was joined by Pelle Petersen the car's designer who at the time worked for the Italian design house appointed by Volvo. At 1 million miles Volvo gave Irv a Bertone 262 coupe, and at 2 million miles they gave him a C70 coupe, I wonder what he will receive if he makes his 3 million target? (Mine's only done just over 100K - I'll never catch him up! :lol: )

Per Mick b: "Nut Spinner 2.5.mm its like a screwdriver with a socket type end (if you dont know what they are ) is a must."

After failing to find one at local tool shops, I purchased one yesterday afternoon on eBay from http://www.arcanesceneryandmodels.co.uk. It arrived this morning - how's that for service? :D
Last edited by 2002EarlMarischal on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:....a Bertone 262 coupe....
Something of a UK sales disaster for Volvo. Very few left now.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Cor - the 262 coupe!

Looked like an elephant had sat on it! Sold well in the US which says all you need to know really....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Blink Bonny wrote:Cor - the 262 coupe!

Looked like an elephant had sat on it! Sold well in the US which says all you need to know really....
Wait 'til you see the Volvo 780 Bertone Coupe - never sold officially in the UK, but it was built by Bertone to a Volvo design, and looked like a bigger version of Maserati's hilariously unreliable BiTurbo (the car that resulted from what happens if you ask the Italians to build their version of BMW's E30 3-Series).
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

'Nuff said.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Projects-Empire Ex 4472; grey Woodcock; valence surgery!

A long time with no progress, so here's an update:

Firstly, Woodcock has had a coat of darker grey and I hope it is now closer to the colour used?
[43] Woodcock 5.JPG
[44] Woodcock 6.JPG
Secondly the valence removal job on the Railroad Falcon has progressed too, and Peregrine as it has become now, benefits from the below footplate firebox and reversing rod etc from the A4 Guillemot body cannibalised for the A2/2 Lord President that Mick b has so excellently built for me.

Having added the stainless steel letters to the other side of the tender, I sprayed the cab and tender sides with Tamiya semi-gloss which I hoped would hide the effects of removing the original numbers and letters, as well as giving a fine overall finish. Well, I really regret using it! The resulting finish was a mess and I ended up trying everything to sort it out including T-Cut, Klear, white spirits and wet and dry, though net necessarily in that order!! :roll:

I've got back to where I started just about, but I'm not happy with the finish, and the clear colour variation between the Falcon body and the Mallard tender seems more obvious now. Behind the glass of my A4 display cabinet it actually looks alright. See what you think.
[45] Valence removal 9.JPG
[46] Valence Removal 10.JPG
continued;
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Update continued:

Thirdly, and whilst on the subject of Tamiya varnish, I also decided to spray another ex-R2339 Mallard streamlined non-corridor that I had, quite successfully I thought, resprayed apple green with lining and lettering also done to a good standard. I totally ruined my work by spraying the varnish on - it lifted and bubbled-up the transfers. What did I do wrong? :cry:
[48] Tamiya Varnish Problem.JPG
I am certainly not going to risk spraying my Empire Exhibition 4472 with varnish when finished! Not much to report on that model except I have added more lining to the tender, but may have reached the limit of my ability on that, and as Graeme so wisely said, (though in much better words), sometimes it's better to stop before you make a botch of something. Anyway here it is in its current state:
[47] Empire Exhibition 4472 5.JPG
[Please ignore the mark on the firebox which must have been a drop of rain!]

Finally, I'll admit to calling Mick b to the rescue with my apple green Kingfisher project. After the intial success with the apple green, those who have read my previous posts will know I completely ruined it with the Halfords satin black. The body's been stripped and sent off to Doctor Mick b to do a proper job. Cheers Mick!

I have to say I'm disheartened with the whole painting and finishing lark. With little time available to actually get stuck into projects I'm inclined to leave those aspects to those who can do a good job, but at least I've had a go!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Tell the truth, Mick - you dribbled on Scotsman, didn't you? Don't blame you, Mate!

As for the paint lark, I've never overcoated transfers with Tamiya varnish and I never will now. There is something in it to make it coat plastics which must be what's affected the transfers. Hmmm.

As for the black bits, I always use a good hairy stick and enamels over a sprayed main colour. I then spray Precision or Railmatch satin varnish - I find the Precision glossier than the Railmatch so that's the decision. I do admit to brushing matt varnish before weathering to give some "texture" for the weathering to adhere to.

Practice, Mick. Get yerself a cheapo Dublo 2-6-4 ('bout £30 for a battered example) and practice on that. You can strip the die-cast bod as many times as you like without harming it. Try different paintes and report back if you find something that works, please?
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Returning to Woodcock; the works version in overall grey - no black on cab roof or tender top or red on nameplate.

The lettering was the usual loco pattern but in white and un-shaded. The lining white only. The photo of its tender in part two of the SLP magnum opus bears this out!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Looks like the solvent in the varnish has attacked the glue on the decals causing it to lift.

I use a coat of Vallejo Gloss varnish to seal decals. Then a coat of Games Workshop Satin to finish.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Thanks for the tips chaps!

In the traditional spirit of modelling I've now started another project before finishing my others! :roll:

This one is A4 William Whitelaw as it appeared in June 1941 with the skirting removed behind the cylinders.

I accept that this is very much like my last valence removal exercise, but this time I thought I would try and create some of the bracketry and firebox bottom by leaving appropriate bits of the valence behind. (My first valence removal exercise utilised detail parts from the A4 body that donated its cab to Lord President.

Again, I started with a Railroad Falcon body picked up off eBay minus its front buffers, but I have a set of those from the same donor.

I removed the double chimney, and as Mick and Graeme predicted elsewhere, I have a small amount of filling to do because the flair around the base does not quite cover the front chimney hole.
[49] William Whitelaw (1).JPG
[50] William Whitelaw 2.JPG
[51] William Whitelaw 3.JPG
[52] William Whitelaw 4.JPG
continued;
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

continued:

The valence removal on the first side, and leaving the bits (I know all the technical descriptions!) behind, only took about an hour. There is still a little filing to do, but I'm quite happy with the overall effect. I scored the area of valence left for the firebox and filed the area underneath the running plate to create an illuson that it is set further inboard than it really is.

Please forgive the plastic dust in the pictures below:
[53] William Whitelaw 5.JPG
[54] William Whitelaw 6.JPG
[55] William Whitelaw 7.JPG
Now to do the other side!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That neatly illustrates how much of the body hole for the front chimney pot is exposed on fitting a single chimney in lieu. Not a lot to try to hide, is there?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Indeed a lot easier than hiding a double chimney hole on a NRM A3 :shock:
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Update shots of William Whitelaw:

Chimney hole filled, nameplates added, cabside and buffer beam numbers removed.
[56] William Whitelaw 8.JPG
Single chimney fitted and touched up, black wheelset painted red on chassis from Guillemot (donor for Lord President).
[57] William Whitelaw 9.JPG