2002's 4mm projects - Pacifics +

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: 2002's 4mm projects - Pacifics +

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Thanks for the encouragement! :D

Following Graeme's technique, I have removed sufficient of the boiler band residues. The running plate joints have been improved and strange Hornby running plate gaps (near the cylinders) filled. The banjo dome is now fixed along with a third sandbox (removed from a Doncaster body offcut).

One lesson I have learnt is to properly attached the body prior to filling. When I tightened the front screw, the filled joint between the cab and firebox opened up very slightly. :( More filling and sanding!

The body is now ready for another coat of primer and I will post pics when that is done.

Remaining work to do on the body:

Steampipe on LHS;
All handrails;
Superheater covers;
Wash-out plugs;
Snifter valve;
Whistle;
Cab glazing.

As far as names are concerned, I have decided to stick with racehorses, but most of the Derby, 2000 Guineas and St Leger winners during the period selected by the LNER (and pre 1939 for obvious reasons), have either been used or are unsuitable. I may decide on one of the pre-1940 winners subsequently used on the Peppercorn A1/2 classes on the basis that the 4-8-2 would or indeed should have been built first!

Such a decision will enable me to use a (readily available) straight plate along the smokebox. That location, rather than over a splasher, may be aesthetically pleasing by virtue of the smokebox length.

Blue Peter won the 1939 Derby and 2000 Guineas........ The name would certainly have been fresh in the mind of racing fans at the time.

I'm not sure it says "I'm a bl**dy big engine" though!
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Some progress made this weekend but I need some long lengths of handrail wire.

I see that there are 2 thicknesses advertised on eBay - 0.6 and 0.45 - I'm not sure which to buy! Would anyone know what Hornby use on their A1/3/4 models please?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Jim

0.45mm. Gibson are the best quality. (IMHO)
Tony.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Tony. »

Just read the whole thread, love the projects :)

Hope to read on more :)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Definitely 0.45mm. The 0.6mm wire will look rather too chunky and may be a real pain to thread through the handrail knobs unless you re-drill them all! If you don't want to form any smooth bends in it, and want handrails that will never get distorted by handling, it may be worth your while some time to get some 26swg (or even 28 if you can get it) straight steel piano wire. The paint sticks to it really well also. In the past I've even formed this stuff into flowing, symmetrical curves around smokebox fronts, but that takes AGES......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Tony. wrote:Just read the whole thread, love the projects :)

Hope to read on more :)
Thank you Tony - I certainly need to finish some of the projects I have started!

Many thanks Graeme & Mick for the guidance on handrail wire.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

I've decided to produce my own version of the Feb '46 concept using the remains of the FS body I violated for 'Warspite'. Even though I've taken the rest of the barrel off, there is still a heck of a lot of plastic around the firebox inside.

From what I can gather from the drawing, the splashers appear to be on the outside of the boiler cladding, does this coincide with your observations? There also appears to be a cut-out in the smoke deflector, forward of the 1st splasher?

How far have you got with your boiler for the Feb '46? I'm finding that 10thou plasticard is about as thick as I'd want to be using after the debacle with the production Hush-Hush, but even that is taking some work to get right. Patience is a virtue. Hopefully by tomorrow I should have pictures of progress so far, minus the smokebox and extra splashers that I'll need to fabricate.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Manxman1831 wrote:How far have you got with your boiler for the Feb '46? I'm finding that 10thou plasticard is about as thick as I'd want to be using after the debacle with the production Hush-Hush, but even that is taking some work to get right. Patience is a virtue. Hopefully by tomorrow I should have pictures of progress so far, minus the smokebox and extra splashers that I'll need to fabricate.
I have removed the cladding from my first 1946 attempt. It was not good enough and awaits attempt no: 2. The question over the visibility of the splashers is confusing me too!

My immediate priority is to finish the Gresley-style 4-8-2. Since the last post it has received handrails, the reversing rod has been switched to the LHS, Graeme's lovely superheater covers added and a snifter valve from a scrap body.

Body-wise, it need mudholes, washout plugs, vacuum pipes and lamp irons. I still need to source a motor as suggested by Graeme. Then it's the paint job to do.
[135] Mountain 19.JPG
[136] Mountain 20.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very nice. Looks more than capable of crushing a stale pork pie without breaking into a sweat!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Very impressive, that would have flattened out Stoke Bank :mrgreen:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Have you built your Feb '46 chassis? If I can make a suggestion about the cuts - make them in front of the motor, lots of room for it over the fourth axle (as it would become with the extension being made ahead rather than behind). I chose this route as I didn't want to get involved with rewiring the tender connection with extra lengths of fine wire. Also, when you've finished doing your cut-and-shuts you have a chassis for an atlantic if you can find one that had 6ft 8in drivers?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

GNR C1 Atlantic had 6'8" drivers.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Here is progress on my version of the 4 8 2 before I started to fit all the bits together.
I will probably wait for one of Graeme's resin cabs before finishing thejob.
482 progress.jpg
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Further progress before I get out the filler and clean up all the joints. The cab is only dropped on temporarily. I may use this cab but it will need a lot of filing to fit as it is too wide (thickness of plastic) as it stands.

The model will need a complete new set of handrail knobs.
482 progress 2.jpg
Livery. This is a difficult one - howzabout wartime black as had the class been built they would have arrived after 1939?

The double chimney is only on for the photo - I shall probably fit a single one.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Looking good there. You've even modelled the old black wheel - a little known feature of the planned design!!! :lol:

Personally, I'd paint it in apple green as it was the war that effectively put a stop to these locos ever being build. But it's your model and rule 1 definitely applies here!
Steve