2002's 4mm projects - Pacifics +

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Projects-Empire Ex 4472; grey Woodcock; valence surgery!

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:Thanks Simon. :)

Quote from RCTS Locomotives of the LNER Part 2a, page 117:
"No. 4489 ran in traffic from 4th to 17th May 1937, it was in workshop grey with white lining but without the parabolic curve and, curiously, with green-painted coupled wheel centres."

It kind of narrows the era of operations if running on a layout!! :roll:
Good grief! It does a tad. But what an unusual and wonderfully authentic build all the same :)
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

that is a cracking looking loco, really can't wait for finished results

very well done

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Superb job 2002 - I suspect that more followers will be wanting to create Woodcock.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

As always, I appreciate the kind comments and encouragement! :D :D

So here is an update on the various A4s in the workshop. Firstly a little line up of Golden Eagle (awaiting nameplates), Woodcock and William Whitelaw - all still need work of some form or another, and I just don't know whether I have the confidence to try the very thin valence lining on either Woodcock or Golden Eagle....
[74] A4 projects unfinished.JPG
Golden Eagle itself has a temporary tender. It should have a corridor tender, but if I can finish this streamlined non-corridor off well enough I will do a swap with an A1/3 that currently has the tender Golden Eagle needs.
[75] Golden Eagle 7.JPG
[75] Golden Eagle 8.JPG
Next stage is another coat of gloss varnish to seal the transfers, then the satin coat to follow. Getting there! :roll:
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

An absolutely splendid collection. The contrast between the way the blue makes the contours of the smokebox stand out and the grey and the green is somewhat stark.

I wonder - do we as a forum have models of each member of the class A4? Would be an interesting one for another thread. :)

Lovely work chap, thank you for sharing it all with us.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Is there some more edge lining to add to the cab of 4482?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Many thanks as always Simon! :D
Atlantic 3279 wrote:Is there some more edge lining to add to the cab of 4482?
Sure is Graeme! :) I had to remove my attempt at hand-painted window lining which was too heavy, but I have transfers for the cab edges which I will certainly do before sealing with varnish. I think I had reached the point of saturation so it was best to leave for another day!
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

a good lucking line up you have there

a grey A4, now thats tempting, yours looks great

I must do/get a LNER green one, there is just something about that livery that does it for me

Looking forward to the next insultment, keep the pics coming
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

An update on 4489 Woodcock.

I added some lining to Woodcock's tender and cab sides but drew the line, if you'll forgive the awful pun, at the valences. I then sealed them with Vallejo gloss varnish before a coat of Games Workshop satin varnish.
[77] Woodcock 9.JPG
[78] Woodcock 10.JPG
I think I'm going to call it a day there with Woodcock. It's not perfect and some of the thin white lining hasn't stood the test of time but I'm happy enough with the overall interpretation of the loco.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Now 4482 Golden Eagle.

Here I've added more lining including red to the valences, sealed with Vallejo gloss and finished with Games Workshop satin.
[79] Golden Eagle 9.JPG
[80] Golden Eagle 10.JPG
OK but.....
[81] Golden Eagle 11.JPG
The cab roof has become crazed. :cry: It's the same paint as the smokebox and has had the same gloss varnish seal. Clearly paintwork and finishing is a black art that I have not mastered. :twisted:

At least rubbing down the cab roof is not the end of the world, and I can simply give it a coat of paint without the need to varnish over.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Finally, a couple of tender repaints:

Take a look at the first photo - not too bad at all!
[82] Tenders 1.JPG
Now look at the second:
[83] Tenders 2.JPG
or indeed this awful sight:
[84] Tenders 3.JPG
Both sides of these tenders have had the same treatment and I would say the same amount of paint etc. Why one side is fine and the other not, goodness knows!

Off we go again....... :x
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Much, prefer my A4's in green, congratulations.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The general result looks lovely, but you must be heartily sick of getting adverse paint reactions!

I don't know much of paint chemistry, but I'm strongly tempted to suspect that your final varnish coat (or your choice of thinners, or something in your airbrush from previously cleaning it out) must contain traces at least of something such as xylene, acetone, or maybe even some kind of alcohol as a "wetting" agent, and this has softened and expanded the enamel colour coat(s) that you've used. I only ever use the Humbrol or Railmatch varnishes, and although I wouldn't heap praise on their qualities, they don't attack the enamel coats beneath - although even with these too much white spirit or other enamel thinners can do nasty things to the adhesion of transfers and can make the varnish dry white where it collects heavily in grooves and corners.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Thanks for the encouragement as always and also for the time thinking through my problems. :)

Thanks also to Mrs EM for her valiant attempt at consolation:
[85] Food stopped play!.JPG
Home-made lemon meringue pie, is I find, the answer to many of life's problems!! :lol:

The varnish I have used is aerosol so I think the problem is more likely to be that I did not leave the gloss varnish sealing coat long enough to harden. (I did leave it overnight, say 18 hours). Although most areas of the models were OK, others were not - that's the confusing bit. :?

Anyway Golden Eagle's roof was easy to sort and here is a shot of what it's all about:
[86] A4 Collection 2.JPG
I have dared to put my Golden Eagle next to Mick b's beautiful job on Kingfisher. At least there will be 2 Hornby corridor tender separating them! :wink:

Just need the new Hornby Coronation A4 when it comes out, and a tender for Golden Eagle and I'm there! :D

For those who need to know, they are all Hornby A4s representing the major livery/physical changes . Top to bottom, left to right:

BR 60024 blue Kingfisher, BR 60009 green Union of South Africa
LNER 34 blue Peregrine, BR 60027 experimental blue Merlin
LNER 4468 blue Mallard, LNER 4901 black Sir Charles Newton
LNER 4489 grey Woodcock,
LNER 4482 green Golden Eagle, LNER 4483 green Kingfisher
LNER 2509 silver Silver Link, LNER 2512 silver Silver Fox

2510 Quicksilver lurks in another cabinet awaiting some Silver Jubilee stock, with 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley for company. You can't be a Gresley man and not have a model of 4498!

I am still working on the partly valenced 4462 William Whitelaw, and have 4466 Herring Gull loco only awaiting possible conversion to the W1.

I'm still hoping 2012 will be the year of the layout because I really want to see them run!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Your collection of A4's grows even larger and I grow even more envious :wink:

I've now got my bacchy 60007 replaced with a Hornby TMC version (converted from 60024 in br blue) and have the new Hornby 60019 on the cards for when it comes out. Then I have my old 90's Hornby 60017 to replace and I'll have six of the current Hornby A4's ( 2509, 4468, 60007, 60009, 60017 and 60019)

I'm gonna have a break from buying A4's next year though..... I'm gonna get a deltic and possibly an 01 or a standard 4/5 or a black 5....... or a 9F..... or a Britannia :mrgreen:

As soon as I get 60019 to replace the old bacchy one, I'll do a lineup in my recently re-configured MPD, now with turntable :D
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F