DJH Limited Edition Raven Pacific (A2) Kits

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: DJH Limited Edition Raven Pacific (A2) Kits

Post by Mersey508138 »

Can I ask please what the search parameters are when looking for locomotive kits either built or unbuilt on ebay as I have never had much luck in finding them ?

Many thanks in advance for any replies given.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

You can have as many searches as you wish e.g Make , Company, Wagons, Coaches etc etc.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Mersey508138 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:45 pm Can I ask please what the search parameters are when looking for locomotive kits either built or unbuilt on ebay as I have never had much luck in finding them ?
To further expand on Mick B's response, you need to look for the more specific (ideally unique) identifiers: kit maker and kit number are typically helpful, class identity, designer (if it isn't Gresley, Stanier or Churchward) originating company, wheel arrangement. Be prepared to try different combinations as some may trawl up loads of irrelevant kits while others will filter better to provide largely items of interest.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all from sunny Surrey

I was lucky and bought a lot at auction which included the original DJH A2, a SEF K3 with spare chassis for £140 plus auction charges. I'd have paid that for the A2 kit alone.

It is still in my roundtuit cupboard. I am thinking of fitting an eight wheel tender (a SEF Peppercorn A2 with rivet detail filed away), as they look more impressive with the large tender.

I have a spare SEF A3 which is being saved for the production of 2404 when fitted with the A1 boiler. However, every time I try and make progress, I hit problems making the stepped footplate. The scratchbuilt chassis runs well, but will need scratchbuilt connecting rods.

Good luck in finding a DJH A2.

Back to fitting hand rails on a rake of Slater's wooden hoppers, merely 17 to go.

Earlswood Nob
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

mick b wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:14 pm For the info anyone who may want one of these kits.

Two have just sold on ebay, one for £360 !!. all three for sale are/were for the 2400/2001 early NER version.

Current one with a reserve price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266371280124
£330.00 for this one !! :D
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

I was lucky to win two of these in separate auctions in the last 3 weeks, cost less than £360 for the pair. I had been after one of these for many years especially for the kit to build the original as built versions I picked up.
Both kits still absolutely as they were packed by DJH with full set of wheels etc, one even had a motor and gearbox.

Real stroke of luck
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

There's always the alternative. Abandon the search for an overpriced secondhand kit and build your own A2 from parts you might already have. Like these two. Both run on triang-Hornby Flying Scotsman chassis', the rest is made from brass rod and sheet, plastic tube and plasticard. Probably one of the easiest big engines to build this way, they don't have many complex shapes in them.
A2_x2.jpg
Paul
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

That looks good. Is it possible to make up a list of hints/tips as to how you put it together.

The A2 is too late for me but I do like the look of it. I wouldn't spend silly money on a kit but do like making them up from 'cut n shut'
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Dave S wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:52 am That looks good. Is it possible to make up a list of hints/tips as to how you put it together.

The A2 is too late for me but I do like the look of it. I wouldn't spend silly money on a kit but do like making them up from 'cut n shut'
I had to go and search through my own thread, but here's a link to the first one, it's a bit spread out through a few pages. https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=225

The main ingredient is a Flying Scotsman chassis in reasonably good condition. I bush the chassis to take 1/8" axles and Scalelink wheels but you can use 5/16" axles instead. 2mm square brass rod and 10 thou sheet from Albion Alloys to make the running plate frame, 25mm electrical conduit for the boiler and the rest from plasticard mostly. The tender was modified from a GBL Director but there's a NER tender available from Shapeways that would be a better option now.
The domes on my two are from the Bowser Pennsy K4 kit which might be hard to come by now, an alternative will need to be found. I turned the chimneys from plastic rod, nothing fancy, just using files and an electric drill held in a vice as a lathe.

Paul
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Thanks Paul. An interesting read which I've bookmarked for future reference. It certainly looks the part.