My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

Post by Jim de Griz »

Those are interesting roof lines. Were they built for a particular purpose?

Jim de Griz
Phil Brighton
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Phil Brighton »

The clerestory provided extra ventilation for fruit, milk and fish which these were designed for.

Also I called them open frame when I meant outside!
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Phil those GN Fruit vans look great. Has Mike made them freely available? I have a friend here in Adelaide who's just bought a resin printer and he's going to see whether he can print your refrigerator van that you sent me the files for. If he can I'm very interested to get the files for your two GN vans shown further above.
Regards Andrew
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Phil Brighton wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:42 pm The clerestory provided extra ventilation for fruit, milk and fish which these were designed for.
Ahh, that makes sense, a very interesting feature.

Jim de Griz
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Woodcock29 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:30 am Phil those GN Fruit vans look great. Has Mike made them freely available? I have a friend here in Adelaide who's just bought a resin printer and he's going to see whether he can print your refrigerator van that you sent me the files for. If he can I'm very interested to get the files for your two GN vans shown further above.
Regards Andrew
I am not sure if Mike has there anywhere for download. He is on the forum so would be able to say. They are very well designed.

I am planning to pop my STLs up on Thingyverse after talking to Stephen of the containers fame. Just need to get round to doing it. I have done a perishables van as well and have a couple of other wagons in the pipeline.
This would mean people could just download directly for free.

I would also like to have a go at some of the containers but not found the time as yet.

On a different note has anyone got a drawing of a GNR ballast brake? The one with the birdcage bit. I think I can work of dimensions and photos in Tatlow but if a drawing existed would be helpful.
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Phil
I have a D&S kit of the GN Ballast brake. I could measure that if it would help?

Is the Perishable van GN or LNER designed?

Something that would be of great interest would be a GN ballast plough brake van. I'm away for a few days at present so can't check Tatlow Vol 1 to see what might be in there.

Regards
Andrew
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Hi Andrew

The perishables van is the LNER version of the north eastern designed. Am also away at the moment so will do some pictures when back.

I have sorted the dimensions of the ballast brake thanks. Will take a look at the plough brake when back though. I can't find any images of an LNER ballast train (as opposed to individual wagons) so am a bit in the dark as to the make up of them. For example the ballast wagons double as bolster wagons for rails but not sure of sensible formation.
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Thanks Phil - that's the version I hoped you had done. I have one D&S kit of that built maybe 40 years ago but would like some more in my perishables train assembled recently to run behind my new Bachmann V2.
Agree on lack of knowledge on ballast trains generally.
Andrew
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Finally decided today to sit down and stop avoiding the annoying bit of my Royal Claud build.

By annoying I mean getting the Hornby chassis to screw to the body and run without shorting while getting the plastic smokebox parts to all line up with the kit parts.

Quite why I thought this was a better idea than just building the Mallard models kit I don't know but I have started so I will finish.

Anyway the difficult bit is done so I can move onto the tidying up and detailing. Boiler fittings and cab roof just there to make it look nice, none of them fixed down.
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-02 at 23.53.46.jpeg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

What have you done with the cab off that, Phil? I'm looking for one.
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

I have the cab though its a one piece metal casting with the firebox and boiler. I have sawn off the boiler but the firebox is still attached to the cab. Might not be that useful but you are welcome to it. Just ping me a dm.
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by carlislecitadel2 »

Hi Phil,
I saw your request for info on the ballast brakes. Did you get sorted? The only info I have on GNR ones is whats in the Tatlow southen area volume.
As for LNER ballast trains, there are a couple of good pics of ones at Weatheral on the Newcastle-Carlisle line in the following link.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswis ... 5263548255, about 40% of the way down. I would encourage LNER fans to check the whole album out and also another one he has on Brampton juntion where you can see a couple of LNER Trout ballast wagons. Its a great collection of LNER period photos. As somebody interested in the railways of Carlisle, this set of albums is one of my go too resources, plus he has lots of local Northern Irish stuff should I ever get round to getting some GNRI/NCC models made for our club layouts.
Regards,
Stephen

PS printer back in action - hope to post some pics of your wagons shortly.
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Yep got the details for the ballast brake, thanks - hope to start in the next few weeks. Photos look interesting pictures of brake down trains as opposed to cranes seem few and far between.
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

End of last week gave the Royal Claud a test run on the Cambridge Buffet Express. I like to do all the main parts with solder, prime to check for problems,to be filed or filled then use glue for the little details. It took quite a while to get the body ok as the primer showed up that I had not done a very good job of the firebox on one side. It was a thinner brass than the rest of the body and was on an etch with detailing parts like the valances designed to be attached to a thicker sheet of brass underneath. It was quite distorted I couldn't get the thing to a decent finish. After a lot of trying I gave up and cut one side of the firebox out between the boiler bands (are they called that on the firebox?), soldered some thicker scraps of brass together and made a new part of the same shape. Its not perfect (its the other side from this pic) but is far better.

Many of the castings with the kit were not great or missing entirely so I have 3d printed some new parts and nicked others of the Hornby D16. More to do but it should be plain sailing until painting now.
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-07 at 11.39.19.jpeg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I always like to see a model that's not available RTR being successfully cobbled up into a decent result using multiple materials from various sources.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.