Model Rail Live, Barrow Hill, 22/23 Sept - forum meeting?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Model Rail Live, Barrow Hill, 22/23 Sept - forum meeting

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Definitely a good day Jim, if somewhat tiring in the aftermath of a busy period generally and a lousy cold.

Apologies to Ian Harper. I did pass by Haymarket Cross two or three times, pausing to observe and even managing a brief chat with a couple of the crew, but you appeared to be fully engrossed in dealings with others on each occasion so I didn't disturb you. I can see that you've done a good job of matching up loco characterstics such as speed and inertia (presumably the same goes for the means of selection of sound functions and so on) - your operators were not looking unduly stressed!

I managed a brief chat with Mr Kohler of Hornby, and contrary to the encouraging notes that he may have sounded at times in the past when I've exchanged e-mails with him, it now appears that he is almost as firmly entrenched as are Peco themselves in the matter of track for the UK OO market. So in gentle retaliation for his lack of willingness to accommodate the UK modeller to the same degree as the continental/US HO "crowded-mini-sleeper" majority, and perhaps his lack of "vision" in that respect, here's a picture of lack of Hornby vision in a slightly different form, boldly displayed for all to see until I drew it to his attention:
I might expect to see a huge clanger like that dropped in a display arranged by un-trained general staff in cheap toy shop, but on Hornby's own "flagship" stand it looked ridiculous....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

There is no excuse.

Or hope.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I had a brilliant day. Had cab rides in L&Y 1300 and 70013, also got up in 60532 and 62660 :D

Many thanks to Ian for letting me spend quite a bit of the day behind the scenes at Haymarket Cross, working at both shed and fiddle yard ends. Only mishap by my hand was derailing Mallard......

Bought an unopened Hornby SR V 'Wellington' for £55 - bargain!

EDIT: 62690 on mini test on Polbrook, both me and Ben Jones are to blame for this which raised a few eyebrows :oops: :wink:
Attachments
62690.jpg
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

It was certainly an interesting place to visit having never been before. The model railway exhibition was a bit cramped and doubly so for me having to carry a motorcycle helmet and tank bag through the mass of bodies. For similar reasons I didn't take many photos but I've attached a snap of Oliver Crowell basking in the afternoon sun. Good to meet up with Atlantic and EarlMarischal too. However, the highlight for me was getting up close to Butler Henderson for the first time in over 20 years. I'm glad I had the chance all those years ago to have a footplate ride as I don't know if it will ever be steamed again let alone me being in the position to blag a trip.

Cheers....Morgan
P1100312_sm.JPG
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

I believe that one of the reasons for B-H not being restored to working order is that it is now too tall for the Network Rail loading gauge. This is the same reason given for not restoring either MR 1000 or GNR 251, and for the drastic reduction in size of King Edward. Here's a thought - why not dig out the old ballast when replacing track, instead of piling the new on top?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

As for the last comment about lowering the track, that is far to easy for this day and age, the paper work involved is zero, people would lose there jobs, H&S people would be in a right old mess and wouldn't know what to winge about, wonderful idea go for it. :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Morgan noticed something interesting in connection with loco heights in the roundhouse, if that is, the smoke-hoods are all suspended at a uniform level. "Too tall" Butler-Henderson had several inches of clearance between its Chimney rim and the hood (is it the later LNER Gortonesque chimney on B-H now, at something like 13' 1"?), whereas 251 had its chimney rim virtually scraping the hood. Am I right in thinking that 251 has an original GN chimney, having been externally restored to GN condition including having its chimney put back in the original "saturated" position - in that case it might be 13' 4" 1/2.

It seems ludicrous that when originally cursed with one of the most restrictive loading gauges of any standard gauge system in the world, those in charge (are they?) of our railways in recent decades have allowed the loading gauge to become even more of a problem.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.