Paul's workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Paul's workbench

Post by Woodcock29 »

I have several of these car kits stashed away. They came out of breakfast cereal packets here in Oz soon after we arrived back in 1964.
Andrew
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

Some info on these from the dark-side

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/165722-00 ... nt-4504097
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Cornflakes cars, that makes sense. A little before my time, Kellogg's packets only had plastic animals or jets, ...Phantom, Skyhawk, Starfighter among others by the time I was old enough to dig to the bottom to find the freebie.
What do kids get now in a cereal bag? certainly nothing like a simple kitset or a plane that looks more or less like what it's supposed to be. Probably the kind of thing that's considered not suitable for children anymore.

I wasn't too far off with the scales, seems to be a good deal more available than I have acquired.

Paul
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

nzpaul wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:38 am
What do kids get now in a cereal bag? certainly nothing like a simple kitset or a plane that looks more or less like what it's supposed to be. Probably the kind of thing that's considered not suitable for children anymore.

Paul
I can answer that; recently bought a big bag of Skippy Cornflakes, and there was only cornflakes in it; not even a kids' activities pamphlet.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Now that the operational but incomplete Marklin layout has completed its first public outing, I can get back into some loco building. The N15 now has wheels and rods and ticks over nicely, showing all the signs of being a smooth running thing.
Youtube clip of N15 on the rollers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcYRPY-p-rg

Restoration of the GEM J36 also going well, Will's (West Highland Workbench)GEM D34 build from a few years ago provided the inspiration to try a bit harder with the tender, so the cast coal rails were cut off and a proper set of coal rails made from 0.6mm brass rod were installed, looks quite a bit better for it too. Remedial work required behind the chimney but so far so good.
J36_13.jpg
Paul
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Bonny!
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Last time I mentioned the 52F N15 it was merely a chassis. I've been badgering away at it for nearly 6 months now and the end is in sight. This will take up residence on the same Ferryhill layout as the Judith Edge V4.
The N15 has a cheap and cheerful Laise DCC decoder but thanks to the Mashima motor and fairly low gearing, it performs quite well.
Rather than photos, here's a link to a video showing it ticking over on the roller and a bit of back and forth on my layout.
Once again the phone mic has picked up all of the noises one doesn't seem to hear in person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbUniRatQ0g

Paul
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Looking very good Paul.
Nice to chat last night.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Handsome loco, will look yet better once finished.
nzpaul wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:51 am...Once again the phone mic has picked up all of the noises one doesn't seem to hear in person...
At slow speed there's a regular 'complaint', about eight times a wheel rotation. If you can identify which gear turns at that ratio relative to the driven wheels and inspect it, you may be able to rectify the cause. Only needs a slight burr or deformation on one tooth.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:27 pm Handsome loco, will look yet better once finished.
nzpaul wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:51 am...Once again the phone mic has picked up all of the noises one doesn't seem to hear in person...
At slow speed there's a regular 'complaint', about eight times a wheel rotation. If you can identify which gear turns at that ratio relative to the driven wheels and inspect it, you may be able to rectify the cause. Only needs a slight burr or deformation on one tooth.
They are handsome locos, so much so, I have another one to build for my own layout.
I've had to have a closer look at the video to identify the complaint you referred to, that's coming from a clock in the same room....reinforces what I meant about the over sensitive phone mic.

Paul
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

nzpaul wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:45 am ...that's coming from a clock in the same room....reinforces what I meant about the over sensitive phone mic....
Oh my, that's hilarious. Probably the phone is excessively sophistimicated: pushes the gain up to ensure even quiet sounds are captured.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:34 am
nzpaul wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:45 am ...that's coming from a clock in the same room....reinforces what I meant about the over sensitive phone mic....
Oh my, that's hilarious. Probably the phone is excessively sophistimicated: pushes the gain up to ensure even quiet sounds are captured.
I'd never imagined you to be Simpsons fan.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.