Great British Locomotives Magazine

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Great British Locomotives Magazine

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Rlangham wrote:Apart from Locomotion
Technically, Bachmann produced that as a model too.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Only O gauge static though, as far as i'm aware? So must surely be new tooling... would definitely like to pick up a copy of that one when available
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I realise it may be a far fetched idea, but could the producers of these copy-cat models actually be too discerning to copy a V2 whose boiler shape is wrong?

Somewhere or other, probably when we were discussing the (non-)feasibility of a "special" limited edition loco commissioned by forum members, somebody I'm sure mentioned a firm (possibly in the Czech republic) that was turning out short runs of injection moulded plastic aircraft using cheaper moulds than the usual profile milled steel ones - maybe hard resin moulds? Could it be that the technology behind these loco models is similar, hence the small scale distribution so far, the lower price and the less "crisp" details?
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I realise it may be a far fetched idea, but could the producers of these copy-cat models actually be too discerning to copy a V2 whose boiler shape is wrong?

Somewhere or other, probably when we were discussing the (non-)feasibility of a "special" limited edition loco commissioned by forum members, somebody I'm sure mentioned a firm (possibly in the Czech republic) that was turning out sort runs of injection moulded plastic aircraft using cheaper moulds than the usual profile milled steel ones - maybe hard resin moulds? Could it be that the technology behind these loco models is similar, hence the small scale distribution so far, the lower price and the less "crisp" details?
I would guess that the V2 will be based on the Bachmann model...

I don't think your theory is too far fetched here Atlantic. Producing short run tooling is an acquired skill (similar to rubber moulds but a bit more involved - don't ask how I know this! :roll: ) but most certainly it would prove more cost effective that a steel tool. Take a look at the comparison photographs 2002EarlMarischal took of the two tenders, the coal load is identical! At the very least the Hornby A4 was used as the reference for this static model...
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I notice that profiteer now has another copy of the magazine up for auction on eBay........
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I notice that profiteer now has another copy of the magazine up for auction on eBay........
He'd be a fool not to! People are obviously prepared to pay the price...
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Has anybody in the original small distribution area actually seen anything other than first one or two issues of this magazine, and has anybody from other parts of the country actually managed to get one at all either by direct subscription or their local newsagent?

It's now five months since I first tried to order, and I've seen neither hide nor hair! I've phoned the number shown on the website three times (though not for a couple of months now) to get information or assurance regarding the eventual appearance / distribution of the mag in the rest of the country. Each time they've admitted to non-specific "delays" or "problems", but not to the abandonment of the plan.

I now notice mention in the Daily Telegraph of a firm called "Amerang" as being the wholesale arm of the failed Modelzone. Since "Amercom" is mentioned on the Gt British Locos website I wonder if that implies a fatal link between the companies?

I'll try another phone call tomorrow if nobody else has any news.

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Amercom was registered in Britain in 2010 but there seems to be a connection with an outfit in the Czech republic which produces aircraft models. Nothing to do with Modelzone - an internet search noted that Amerang, like Modelzone are under administration.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks to St J for the above clarification.

A phone call today revealed the following, although it wouldn't have taken a genius to guess (I managed it anyway): "Publication of this magazione is suspended".

I'm sceptically inclined to take that as mealy-mouthed obscure management-speak for a decision to give up because of whatever "problems" they encountered, with either no attention at all, or very low priority given to any further attempts to achieve publication.

The deal always looked too good to be true.......

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Makes me wonder if on seeing the first model certain other manufacturers started to sabre rattle regarding 'copying' of their models, or as the NRM seems to think it has intellectual rights on anything in there and there were a number of NRM locos to be modelled, that they may also have fired warning shots! From what I could find out the aircraft models emanating from a similar or the same source were made in former Eastern Europe and it is likely the locos were from the same source. All very interesting!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I can offer a number of CIL N gauge European steam and diesel models each individually packed in a bespoke plastic case, if it would substitute? Yours for a small consideration, or even just for the trouble of collection. I'll even throw in the cardboard box they were given to me in.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Well I never. Just received by e-mail....

"14/02/2014

Dear Mr King

The wait is finally over! We can now confirm that the launch date for this fantastic new collection – Great British Locomotives, is the 19th February 2014. If you do not want to continue with this collection, all you need to do is contact us on: 0844 4725 237.

Best Wishes

The Publisher"

CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

their website has been updated too: http://www.greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/

I wonder if it will go on general release or be order only.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Now, do I walk into town tomorrow to see if WH Smith's have got it or not.

T'was a wasted trip last time!
paulmblythe
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by paulmblythe »

Earl Marischall

Asdas in Grimsby have loads of them so it might be worth a trip looks like they are on general sale and we are usually the last to get these partworks.

Has anyone seen the Hachette Partwork o gauge A4 kit that's just been announced (similar to the flying Scotsman one). Part one is the cab, part 2 the Bugatti nose and part 3 the boiler. If I can get parts one and 2 I might have a go at scratchbuilding a P2 with the two hardest bits already catered for.

Paul