Great British Locomotives Magazine

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Great British Locomotives Magazine

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

For £9 (I got mine for 4.50 each) I'm very happy with the K3. Loads of modelling potential, even if you throw away most of the loco. Boiler has neat cut outs and so does the tender which is almost a carbon copy of Bachmann's. The lettering on the tender is as good as bachmann's and you can hide removal of the handrails by simply painting it black and weathering it. Simples.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

I saw the latest offering in Asda last week and my money stayed in my pocket.

They're getting worse with each issue and the latest is so rubbish it's unbelievable. I'd rather do without than have that on my layout. The earlier reference to an 'el cheepo bizaar' sounds as if it's all it's fit for.

Yet another con. Get the customers interested with a good first one and then, when you've got them hooked, start churning out the rubbish, hoping they don't notice it.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Bullied Pacific arrived today - its better than a number of more recent offerings - other opinions?
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:Bullied Pacific arrived today - its better than a number of more recent offerings - other opinions?
Based on the inaccurate Triang shell. It's rubbish.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I agree ,the worse one I have seen by a long way.

Good job its Southern :D
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Didn't look too closely on my first encounter as I was pre-occupied with other things but yes, when one compares it with the current Hornby offering it's POOR! Might use it to create one of Bulleid's other proposed Spamcan nasties like his 4-6-4 tank though!

I wonder how much longer this series is going to survive as they must be dropping customers by the issue! I intend to run up to Issue 12 and then withdraw!
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Who knows?

I bought the Black 5, as the engine and tender shell (the rest was binned) had some potential for correction and detailing, and I'm hoping to eventually put a Brassmasters chassis underneath.

I also picked up City of Truro, kept the boiler, cab, footplate and tender shell, and binned the rest. The boiler barrel is wrong, BTW, as there is not enough taper, but you can graft the Airfix/Dapol barrel in place.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Personally speaking I will be buying issue 18 in large numbers if it does turn out to be Butler-Henderson...
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Personally speaking I will be buying issue 18 in large numbers if it does turn out to be Butler-Henderson...
Oh dear.

All pre-sold to you, then :?: :lol:
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Saw a new edition with an LMS 3F 0-6-0T in Smiths in Durham Market Place today. There appeared to be a reasonable stock.
Had a quick look. One wasn't assembled very well, but another one was fine.
Couldn't think of a reason why I would want one, but for £8.50 it looked quite useful.

(I know some Jintys made it to the North East in BR days - but on my railway BR never happened!)
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Personally speaking I will be buying issue 18 in large numbers if it does turn out to be Butler-Henderson...
I've already decided to buy at least one; repainted in LNER green with 'Jutland' plates and fitted with a Bachmann chassis. I imagine I'll be buying a couple more just for the tender too. I just hope the one newsagents in town which seems to stock it on a regular basis will still be doing so by then.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Amazing, my newsagent turned up today with another Flying Scotsman I asked him to get for me months ago - now have enough 1928 corridor tenders to complete my projects!
Bad Wolf
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Bad Wolf »

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Simon will be pleased!
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2