Great British Locomotives Magazine

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Great British Locomotives Magazine

Post by 60800 »

Refine the handrails, fit a whistle, lamp irons and of course get a working chassis.... remove the valances, repaint and that's No.8 sorted.... definitely worth the £3 ;)

The second will get a bit more 'choppy choppy' and a corridor tender (from their forthcoming 4472)... now to try and get an apple green chassis....
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

So, I'll do a full blog probably on Saturday…but taking the tender apart, I was really impressed. If you remove the two tiny lugs on the rear of the tender body, which clip onto the tender frames, it will just fit directly onto a spare set of Hornby A4 tender frames, even clipping into the front using the same exact plug in point.

Given the number of cheap tender frames on eBay at the minute, and that these are £2.99 a pop…it's a definite no brainer for me for tenders. I never have enough of the tender types I want, particularly the non corridor streamlined one, and the fact it's virtually the same body shell as the Hornby one and so cheap is its selling point for me.

I'll leave you with this image - see what you think. For the record, the body shell fits perfectly onto the chassis and in fact has a screw point in the exact same place as the donor chassis. Loco body on donor chassis, tender body shell on donor chassis.

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Mallards.jpg
My newsagent was as good as his word and a post-it note on our paper yesterday advised of the availability of the Magazine. He even delivered the item in person to my doorstep early this morning. Comparison with the Hornby version here and as others have advised the possibilities are endless! I wonder if Graeme's 10000 conversion cab will fit one of the bodies? Also, a cutdown body might produce a streamlined B17?
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
Finally BT have repaired problems caused by local storms and I now have a phoneline and broadband.
A thought about A4 conversions, is the tenders. The W1 had a corridor tender and the B17/5 had a 6w GS4200 tender with extended sidesheets.
However, £3 for a Non-corridor 8w tender is a good price and I might invest in one for future connection to my Raven A2, which looked good with such a tender.

Earlswood nob
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:
Mallards.jpg
My newsagent was as good as his word and a post-it note on our paper yesterday advised of the availability of the Magazine. He even delivered the item in person to my doorstep early this morning. Comparison with the Hornby version here and as others have advised the possibilities are endless! I wonder if Graeme's 10000 conversion cab will fit one of the bodies? Also, a cutdown body might produce a streamlined B17?
To my eyes the body is id with Hornby so see no reason why not you could use for 10000. The chassis is fit for the bin though.
No idea re B17.

A thought about A4 conversions, is the tenders. The W1 had a corridor tender and the B17/5 had a 6w GS4200 tender with extended sidesheets.
However, £3 for a Non-corridor 8w tender is a good price and I might invest in one for future connection to my Raven A2, which looked good with such a tender.

Earlswood nob

Basic Tender body is id with Hornby see my earlier post , you will need a new chassis for it.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

61670.JPG
I have a spare tender chassis but currently no spare loco chassis with red wheels but that may resolve itself in due course. The B17 conversion - I did one using an old style Hornby A4 body years ago and think it may be possible to do likewise. The thing to remember about the B17 streamliners was that the casing was fitted on top of the existing boiler cladding unlike the A4 where it was actually the cladding. At that price some experimentation is tempting.
Phil Brighton
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Phil Brighton »

I must admit I was reading this thread and trying to think of an excuse to get one of these - it was the W1 conversion that sprang to mind.
paulmblythe
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by paulmblythe »

Re the w1. It had the same streamlined non corridor tender as supplied later in its life.

Attempted another raid on grimsby asda mainly to look for the new hachette o gauge kit version but they had non.they had sold all 8 of the oo mallards they had too. I wonder what all the drunks and pyjama wearers have done with them.
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Well at £3, I'll have a tender top for another Tommo pacific!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

paulmblythe wrote:Re the w1. It had the same streamlined non corridor tender as supplied later in its life.

Attempted another raid on grimsby asda mainly to look for the new hachette o gauge kit version but they had non.they had sold all 8 of the oo mallards they had too. I wonder what all the drunks and pyjama wearers have done with them.
There were still several in Magazine World at 11am....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Picked up another today from Asda Nuneaton - their last one too!

Now, in spare parts, to finish a Hornby tender you need the following:

X9339 (or similar) - tender chassis assembly - £5-ish
X9330 (or similar) - tender wheels - £5-ish
X9331 - tender chassis bottom - £7-ish

Total cost £17

I have taken the GBL magazine models apart and believe that the tender frames can be salvaged.

The equivalent to Hornby's tender chassis bottom X9331 is glued on. It retains the wheels which are individual rather than on axles.

I have only tried the first one and was not able to remove the chassis bottom (with brakes etc) in one piece, but nevertheless, the chassis itself can be fitted with "proper" wheels, and Hornby X9331 could be adapted to fit too.

In other words, if you really want to "penny-pinch", and also have some spare buffers, you could save the cost of the tender chassis!
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Further to my last post, I have succeeded in removing the tender chassis bottom on my second GBL model without breaking it.

There is a lot of excess glue around, but even with that, the Hornby wheels I have fitted temporarily run freely with the chassis bottom replaced.

Whilst there is still a need for pick-ups if you want them, as well as decent buffers, it may also be possible to save the £7 on the chassis bottom too.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm very interested in what I'm learning from the reports of those who have already fiddle with their bargain Mallards.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Provided I can acquire another tomorrow - my spies tell me that there are still one or two around Perth - not an area overpopulated by railway modellers - I am going to see if Graeme's W1 bits will transform one cheap Mallard into 10000. I buy my handrail knobs by the ton as I need them for wee Industrials, so it won't be a problem to replace all the knobs on the cheap body.

I have a chassis which was intended for an original W1 (I have a resin body which is not too accurate) and it happens to have red wheels! A request for whitemetal bits from a certain SE outfit to build just the body for an original W1 has so far brought forth no response!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Hopefully you'll like this then Graeme :)

(taken on my phone - camera is out of action at present)
photo.jpg
photo (2).jpg
photo (3).jpg
photo (4).jpg
This one is to become 60008, so the junior hacksaw will be out soon....Tender body has been removed from the frames and has had the handrails removed. I may be able to save the handrails from both loco and tender....
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F