Great British Locomotives Magazine

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: Great British Locomotives Magazine

Post by Kestrel »

Look out for no 39, GRESLEY J39 in LNER livery

by my estimation that'll be out on June 10th.

http://greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/_uk/?page_id=7

http://greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/_uk ... -cover.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Complete with cover picture showing a J38. You can't beat attention to details.

Not quite as mind bogglingly gormless, careless, stupid and disrespectful to the national sentiment as the Daily Telegraph's huge picture of a modern Typhoon and classic Hawker Hurricane under the headline "Typhoon and Spitfire". Sackings, beatings and executions definitely in order I would say!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Just read on the BBC web site about a charity rowing trip from London to Paris. Apparently they're going down the River Thames and out into the Wash.......

Good job nothing they write is actually important!
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I have propagated a few errors in my time, it is so surprisingly easy, even when you believe all your facts have been carefully personally checked. On the rare occasions that I have actually been a witness to a story that ran in the press, I could identify objectively incorrect elements in the reporting. (A road oriented indisputably North-South only, described as East -West, the most striking.) None of it significant in changing the material essence of the event, but it does give me pause when reading any news story that's of real interest: it may not have happened quite as reported.
DS239
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DS239 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Complete with cover picture showing a J38. You can't beat attention to details.
I spotted that as well,but then I noticed that the title of the magazine was 'The Gresley 'J39' and LNER 0-6-0's',so I suppose that the coverage isn't just of the J39's.. :?
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Due out today. J39 etc
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Did anyone buy the latest?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Yep. Put away for a possible future project.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Yes 2 purchased for possible future use. Not too bad a starting point really.

Having subscribed to all issues initially, I have for some time, just been picking up those I thought might have a future use such as the 8F, B12, Director etc.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I noticed a Mallard on Flea bay starting bid was £6.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Another GBL A4 rebuilt. It's been great fun developing these. I think I'm pretty much there with how I want to proceed with building A4s in future.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Just a heads up - apparently the issue 39 Peppercorn A2 is a straight copy of Bachmann's one. Now going into the docklands to see if I can find one at one of the shops...
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

It certainly is, and crisply and neatly turned out where it matters, the loco and tender body work, and outside frames of the Cartazzi truck and tender. The cab to body assembly a little wonky, but once in pieces a good fit can easily be arranged. Worth the money for the tender mouldings alone. I can see some of these parts being used by folks who have damaged a Bachmann model body. (Least said about the representation of the tender wheel flanges the better, but as they are first into the scrap bin who cares?)

This is good project fodder. I have always fancied a revisit of the Gresley P1, to get a Doncaster big engine in BR black, and am pretty sure I can wedge a ten-coupled chassis beneath.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It's a shame the series is said to be nearing a conclusion. They ought to do a copy of Cock o' the North if Hornby can't / won't service demand for such models.

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Have picked up 2 of these today to add to the vast quantity of GBL A4s, the J39s, 8Fs, Directors, J39s etc that forlornly await some future hope of some modelling time!