Great British Locomotives Magazine

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Great British Locomotives Magazine

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

But the wheelbase is different on the County - closer together between the drivers I seem to recall.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:But the wheelbase is different on the County - closer together between the drivers I seem to recall.
You're quite right - there are two alternative positions for the front driving axle in the chassis block.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

After two lengthy waits for somebody to take the phone call, I discovered yesterday that GBL customer service centre is still not in sync with their shop distribution system. Issue 16 cannot be ordered until the end of this week at the earliest, as it is not on their computer system yet! I'm also told that this means subscribers won't get copies until it appears on the system (so I bet they are SO glad they subscribed, priority service and all that...) but they will then get issue 17 too. Not much of a deal as 17 will be almost due in the shops by that time anyway, and time for delivery of subscriber orders will obviously have to be allowed.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Flying Fox 34F
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Flying Fox 34F »

Just to let you know. There are still two unsold Bulter Henderson packs available at Smiths in Grantham (at 11.15am). I don't need anymore for my plans, two is enough
Paul 4475
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Asda in Wolves have a few left as well.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I wish I'd known about those two in Grantham a little sooner. I might have asked for them to be acquired on my behalf...

It may all be sorted out now anyway. after waiting ten minutes AGAIN for GBL to answer my call on Monday morning, I found I STILL couldn't place an order for issue sixteen owing to some stupid feature of their computer system, BUT on this occasion I was amazed to find the telephonist offering to phone me back later in the day when the problem was cleared. This I accepted, whilst quietly wondering if pigs might also fly, and when 5pm came and went without a phone call I can't say I was surprised. Then at 5-15pm my entirely cynical views of the GBL organisation were shaken when they actually called me back! Two copies of the mag duly ordered, but should it really be necessary to use the phone FOUR times, waiting ten minutes for an answer on three of those occasions, all of them AFTER the mag was already in those shops that still bother to stock it, merely to get an order accepted???!!!

I pointed all of this out to the telephonist and asked him to pass my comments on to somebody who clearly isn't in charge of much. I also complained that their automated phone message system is cr4p. It assures new callers that the estimated time to an answer to their call is say, initially, three minutes and 'x' seconds. Messages then follow at roughly 30 second intervals giving a tantalising countdown. Yet I waited six to seven minutes AFTER the estimated zero point had arrived on each occasion> The telephonist admitted that the countdown feature on the system is totally "broken". So why the **** don't they just turn it off???!!!!!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Smiths in Durham Marketplace had a one Butler Henderson yesterday lunchtime.

It looked quite pretty, and I thought of getting it for the tender. However, there was a depression in the top rail of the coal rave about halfway along on the LH side. I don't remember having seen this on any photographs of the prototype. I didn't buy it. (There is so much expenditure on my new house anyway, and I haven't started rebuilding the railway yet!)

Incidentally, and not having unpacked RCTS histories yet, would that tender be correct for one of the D49s that suffered from the 'great tender swap' in late LNER days?
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Two copies of the mag duly ordered, but should it really be necessary to use the phone FOUR times, waiting ten minutes for an answer on three of those occasions, all of them AFTER the mag was already in those shops that still bother to stock it, merely to get an order accepted???!!!

I pointed all of this out to the telephonist and asked him to pass my comments on to somebody who clearly isn't in charge of much. I also complained that their automated phone message system is cr4p. It assures new callers that the estimated time to an answer to their call is say, initially, three minutes and 'x' seconds. Messages then follow at roughly 30 second intervals giving a tantalising countdown. Yet I waited six to seven minutes AFTER the estimated zero point had arrived on each occasion> The telephonist admitted that the countdown feature on the system is totally "broken". So why the **** don't they just turn it off???!!!!!
Graeme can I ask if you actually received these orders???? if so do you still have the phone number so I can attempt to get some orders placed.

Regards,
SAD :(
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Still waiting, despite two subsequent phone calls to firstly enquire and then complain about the delay and the repeated false forecasts of delivery dates. "Procedure" doesn't allow callers to speak to anybody in the organisation above the rank of telephone droid when a complaint arises either, any real complaint has to be put in writing so that they can ignore it. But you can have the phone number if you like.....

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

The whole thing looks a bit shady to me - I've heard rumours of drum beating from Margate and Barwell about 'copying' designs!
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Having placed my order for BH over three weeks ago and having chased it once, I was promised no.16 last week. It did not come and so I rang again today and I was promised it this week. The young lady said that she would re-order it for me, which raises the possibility that I might in fact get two!

I have a Perseverance chassis and Gibson's wheels already and would like to build a D10 in P4 for Plemsworth at the HMRS, which has been set back from 1927 to 1914.

Colombo
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Can the T9 be used for anything remotely Ivatt 4-4-0? I was thinking with a new chimney, smokebox door, replacement dome and modifying the cab that a reasonable D3 might be a possibility. For under a tenner the T9 must surely be able to be used as a donor for something?
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Splashers are totally wrong T9 to Ivatt. Be brave, try etched metal!!!!!!!!!!!

paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

You'd probably be better shoving the T9 chassis under BH, .......pretty close :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Sylar
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Sylar »

Next model announced is the V2. Potential for a boiler swap with the GBL A3? Any advice welcome!

Cheers

Shane